Author Topic: being "too old"  (Read 11120 times)

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
being "too old"
« on: June 20, 2011, 05:56:52 AM »
I'm getting tired of people saying I'm too old for Parkour. Or even fitness in general. I'm only 34. Seesh people act like I'm 80. I get it a lot from my dear wife. She's always telling me that I'm a father of two. that I'm too old to be acting like a kid. My parents even told me I need to grow up. I work with guys that are around my age saying that 30's is the time to let yourself go. Too worn out to do anything.

To all them I say  :P . I'm not too old. I'm plan on doing this till my body gives out. Which hopefully won't be for another 50 years.

Ok. I'm done venting. 

Offline M1L3S

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: being "too old"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:27 AM »
Hey Alex,

I'm two years behind you keep going, moving, iand mproving.  Parkour is all about responsible training not acting like a kid. :)

Offline Timothy Chen Allen

• Patas
  • "The limits are further out than you think"
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:46:25 AM »
I'm getting tired of people saying I'm too old for Parkour. Or even fitness in general. I'm only 34. Seesh people act like I'm 80.

Hey Alex! Thanks for your post. Take what they say in the spirit in which it was intended-- people are where they are. They say it out of love (and a bit of ignorance).  You have freedom over what you decide to do with your body.  I turn 47 next week, and I'll have been practicing Parkour for two years next month.  My wife rolls her eyes, but she's gotten used to my shenanigans by now and doesn't try to stop me anymore.

One thing I have discovered-- my tendons aren't what they used to be. I've had to really work on protection-- right landings, right rolls, etc.  And I've found a few activities in parkour that are less impactful.  Here is a video of me doing a parkour flow drill that I truly enjoy, but that lets my patellar tendons take a breather:

http://youtu.be/Qmyeu-OB1M4
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:48:13 AM by Timothy Chen Allen »
Timothy Chen Allen
"The limits are further out than you think"
Washington, DC
Facebook:TimothyChenAllen
My training log
President's Challenge Parkour Group

Offline Timothy Chen Allen

• Patas
  • "The limits are further out than you think"
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:03:21 AM »
Oh, I should have mentioned: I'm celebrating my 47th birthday by doing 4,700 pushups in a single day as a Wounded Warrior benefit:
http://urbanevo.com/events/4700pushups/
Timothy Chen Allen
"The limits are further out than you think"
Washington, DC
Facebook:TimothyChenAllen
My training log
President's Challenge Parkour Group

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »
That's a very good idea on that video.

One thing is I don't feel old at all. I'm in so much better shape now then when I was 18. And I plan on just improving that.

One thing I do notice now that I didn't when I was younger is more foot pain. But since I've been doing more stuff barefoot that's went down. Going to buy me some Merrell Trail Gloves right soon here. That should help a ton too.

I work with this guy.  I swore by the way he moves and looks he was at least 65. Found out he just turned 55. I'll never be like that.

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 09:16:15 PM »
One thing I have discovered-- my tendons aren't what they used to be. I've had to really work on protection-- right landings, right rolls, etc.  And I've found a few activities in parkour that are less impactful.  Here is a video of me doing a parkour flow drill that I truly enjoy, but that lets my patellar tendons take a breather:

http://youtu.be/Qmyeu-OB1M4
Nice. I do a lot of that stuff pretty much every day on the railing to my front door.

As I like to say when I'm out with my son: This playground equipment is suitable for children ages 3 (him) to 33 (me)!
Age is just another obstacle. Get over it.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:36:05 PM »
I definitely train a bit differently than the mostly 14-22 year-olds that I regularly train with, but at 31 I'm just getting started.  We don't all have to strive to do the things as David Belle, or Levi Meeuwenberg, or that 16 year-old down the street.  Parkour and freerunning are all about you.

I notice that a lot of people my age are done with new things.  They don't want new habits, activities, or challenges.  Many of them seem content to get fat, grow old, and embrace boredom.  Cool, good luck with that, but I'm ready to try new things.

Last year I made my stage debut as a member of a modern dance company.  This year I've traveled all over America, and just helped organize the first SFPK national jam.   You're only too old to do anything when either you decide you are, or your body is no longer capable.  So maybe I'm "too old" for movement "x," but that doesn't mean I can't do parkour...

Don't let the bastards grind you down!  Find your own path.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 08:35:35 AM »
That's very true Brett.

Me and my daughter goes to the play grounds together to play too. All the other parents look at me like I'm nuts. Its quite funny actually.

What I don't get with most peoples our age is why are they so content with being so .. ... .. blah!?

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 06:28:51 PM »
What I don't get with most peoples our age is why are they so content with being so .. ... .. blah!?

Fear.  It's easier to continue suffering the pain you know than it is to risk unknown pain in search of a reward that isn't guaranteed.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 08:04:49 AM »
That is such a weird truth.  What people will put up with to just stay in their comfort zones.

Offline Linda Watters

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 10:51:30 PM »
Hey Alex! I just decided to have my mid-life crisis around Christmas time, 2010...took up kick-boxing in Jan 2011 and parkour in June 2011, the month I turned 45! Never too old to start. Ironically, if you had certain job categories..oh, like a member of the Armed Forces, Firefighter, Search & Rescue, nobody would  bat an eye at a person your age taking up a sport that involved running obstacle courses! Not only would they not bat an eye, they would expect you to be physically fit enough already to do something like that! So, keep on moving!

The only thing that slows me down at my age is my job considerations. I have to consider what type of work I'll be doing in the days after parkour class. Some days, I can't be replaced if I injure my hands at class (concrete is unforgiving). At those times, I'll skip class until the following week. Otherwise, well, I'm insured and live in a country with universal health care.(It's good to be Canadian)!!
Trust the Ground, the Ground will always catch you.

Offline Itzentl

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 01:18:53 PM »
Started PK at 29 and MMA a month ago. I also practiced TKD for 9 years straight. I really don't see myself stopping or slowing down anytime soon.

Offline Brian Rowe

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 06:53:15 PM »
You're barely to the halfway point of your life. Why would you stop now?

I just turned 31 a few days ago. Recently, a woman I dating was said that I should be putting the geeky/childish/atypical hobbies aside and start acting like a normal adult. So... I should sit in front of the TV all night, talk about the weather and mortgages, buy a house and car I can't afford, and reminisce about the good old days while drinking away my depression on the weekends?

We're not dating anymore.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »
Hey Rowe, don't forget to get fat and never try anything new!

31 has been amazing.  Can't wait to be 32.  Last weekend I visited San Diego and trained with some friends there.  There were a couple high-school age kids I hadn't met before and we chatted a bit.  They didn't believe I was 31, but after I convinced them they were like "that's so cool you still train."  The kids are alright.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 06:11:14 AM »
I've not been doing much in the last two months since my son has been born. With all the NICU stuff and him being allergic to his mama's milk has got me a bit distracted.  But he's so much better now. So I'm getting geared up to start training again. Been watching a lot of Ninja Warrior that's some motivation right there.

But just with that two months of not much exercise. My body feels all crappy. I think this is how most peoples our age feel all the time. And its horrible.  Don't know why anyone would choose to let themselves get like this.

Linda that is so motivating to me. You sure broke outta the stereotype.

And Rowe I think you made I wise choice not dating that woman anymore.

I say the more childish the better. (Childish activitties, not mentality)

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »
It's child-LIKE, not child-ish. Hell, I'm thirty-three with chronic sciatica. Sore muscles are much better than sore nerves.
Age is just another obstacle. Get over it.

Offline Nor

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • go hard or go home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 03:32:24 AM »
hi guys! thanks a lot for this topic, it made me convinced that I'm still "normal" being 35 and jumping all over the city ;) So 1,5 month ago I've decided to start training and here is short video of my beginnings (some simple moves) - it's for those that are uncertain whether to start it or not or for those feeling "too old" - it's just a matter of starting to move ;)

LINK to Vimeo

Offline M1L3S

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 07:31:01 AM »
NICE!!

Offline Kimberly Heuer

• Patas
  • "Action Conquers Fear." -PNZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »
So, I know I'm only 21 and not allowed to post here (though I must say my crappy joints are in a state that would be more consistent to being 30+). But I found this fantastic quote that applies beautifully to this topic as well as Parkour in general, and had to share:

“There is no upper limit to what individuals are capable of doing with their minds. There is no age limit that bars them from beginning. There is no obstacle that cannot be overcome if they persist and believe.” H.G. Wells
Passivity is a lie, there is only movement.
Through movement, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain expression.
Through expression, my chains are broken.
Movement shall free me.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 05:18:19 PM »
That's a very good quote. Thanks for sharing that.