Author Topic: Our responsibility  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Joseph S

• Patas
  • Blissfully wed to a derby skater who likes Parkour
    • View Profile
    • Geek Physique
Our responsibility
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:53:13 AM »
I'm old... enough.  Mature traceurs and traceusses have an additional responsibility.  We need to, when called upon, act our age.  When is that?  When passers-by or other non-participants interact with our community.  We need to be ambassadors.  I'm usually spending my time talking to nervous Moms and Dads that worry their kid will get hurt and should just play soccer.  Ball sports ruin more knees and ankles permanently, cause more breaks... Also, when property owners and law enforcement approach, asking us to disperse, we need to abide first without being bossy to everyone else, just set a good example. 
We also need to take it the grown-up step further and have the second conversation, follow up with the individual later and carry the conversation to the point of acceptance or understood disagreement.  That's the advancement of acceptance that Parkour has over... skateboarding: not everyone is a teen.
Even when we are tired or otherwise unable to train, we need to be part of the community as much as our work schedules permit.  I am in Parkour for myself first, but I am rewarded by what I can do for others.  I know what it takes to preserve Parkour in my community. 
"Age is a constant reminder that nothing is accomplished without a routine."

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Our responsibility
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »
What you say is very true. We need to be adult about it all. Be a good role model to the younger generations. Since we are older we have more experience dealing with life. I'm not putting anyone younger then me down. Heck my 6 year old daughter is sometimes smarter then me.  We must not be immature.

Offline M1L3S

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Our responsibility
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
Common Sense and Good Decisions

Parkour is not JACKASS, Parkour is safe responsible, slow, progressive, LIFELONG (0-100 years) training to Improve self.  ALL TRUE Traceurs are responsible, are good role models, and understand what constitutes positive training.