Author Topic: Possible New Forum?  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Possible New Forum?
« on: January 29, 2011, 11:05:09 PM »
Would be a great for "group leaders" who want to help other "group leaders." (used in quotes since you might want to call it something different ;))

Can talk about a ton of things relevant to leading a group of people in training...
group exercises
group dynamics
working with the opposite sex
younger
older
dealing with problems among trainees
trainees you wish would show up more and what to do when they don't
organizing larger events and legal matters
dealing with authorities
dealing with insurance and the related technicalities
being afraid of being less qualified than the people you're leading
being afraid of not being qualified in general
where to train
how often to hold trainings
how often to schedule jams in comparison to trainings
empowering people to try harder
fostering group camaraderie
a whole wealth of mentorship principles not directly parkour related
Official certifications (ADAPT and whatnot)
adding people to your leadership team

Especially now as parkour is beginning to branch out and seek official status among schools and other areas, a resource like this will be tremendously useful. There are good threads regarding some of these topic already scattered about, but to bring them together into one place would be awesome. Also, people can seek out answers regarding problems specific to their group.

As for the name of this forum... idk but it would probably fit somewhere in the Fitness and Training board quite nicely. Do it nao.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Possible New Forum?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:07:15 PM »
Interesting idea...
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 09:47:35 AM »
Other such administrative issues/possibilities

websites
-hosts
-domains
-pre-made website platforms (SMF, Joomla!, phpBB, Drupal, etc)
-custom scripting and HTML/CSS help/tips
-reviewing and advising on website content/layout/info
classes... free vs charging money & how much
time management
"group" t-shirts (dealers, designs/logos, pricing, group-buys, etc)
club applications
-making a mission statement
-working with administrative concerns
print resources (like those cool parkour handouts)
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 10:26:49 AM »
Sound like a good idea - but needs to be even more specific - most of the things you listed are things that EVERYONE runs into.

What might make sense is a "Trainers" forum and a "Community Leaders" forum. What do you think?
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
Sound like a good idea - but needs to be even more specific - most of the things you listed are things that EVERYONE runs into.
Somewhat, but it's a different dynamic when you're a dedicated leader talking with other dedicated leaders. For sure, some of these topics have been covered but definitely not all of them. Could do a trial run on it to see how effective it is. I certainly don't see where this exists currently, at least in the form I'm imagining. It's existence could certainly encourage such groups to begin to form (with a tested and reliable structure), especially if the forum is in a place as readily viewable as the Fitness and Training board.

What might make sense is a "Trainers" forum and a "Community Leaders" forum. What do you think?
Sounds good to me. Ultimate decision on a title is up to you guys ;) I think you get what the forum would hope to accomplish though. "Community Leaders" does seem appropriate.

I am part of a mentorship team so some of the ideas are from that as far as leadership beyond just teaching someone how to vault. Possibility of a book of the month program comes to mind. Depends if there's any desire for that. Community leadership ambitions might be way lower for most people though ;). It's one of those things you wouldn't immediately think of, but oddly enough reading is incredibly valuable as far as self-esteem and confidence goes in addition to learning how to help other people get the best out of themselves. That's all assuming the forum does get a decent amount of attention though. All your decision tho.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:07:49 AM by Alec Furtado »

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »
The Australian Parkour Association has a coaches' forum on their site.

Alec, are you still in the Bay Area?  Have you met up with other traceurs on campus?  If so, it would be great if you guys came out to an SFPK Monthly Jam.  The last one was in SF, next one is in Sacramento.  Every other month will be in the central Bay Area. 

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 01:27:14 PM »
The Australian Parkour Association has a coaches' forum on their site.
I feel like the American Parkour community would like to stray away from the word "Coach" though... you know how picky we can be with terminology ;D

Alec, are you still in the Bay Area?  Have you met up with other traceurs on campus?  If so, it would be great if you guys came out to an SFPK Monthly Jam.  The last one was in SF, next one is in Sacramento.  Every other month will be in the central Bay Area. 
Indeed I am. I have found a few people who are like "oh yea parkour is k00l" but I'm not sure about their real interest. I am about to start pursuing a club or at least an informal organization aggressively in the next week or so... posters and Facebook posts to advertise, etc. (something that would be good to discuss in a forum like this haha). Only way it would really work right now tho is to make the training sessions the same time I workout regularly. My schedule and the demand for my time is effing ridiculous right now (school obviously, 2 startup web companies, and my own business). An entire day out on the weekend would be... difficult right now.

Once things get moving though, it will definitely be part of the plan. Don't think I'm ignoring you guys :P

EDIT: Plus, I feel like giving advice in this forum would pretty much be saying, "Yes, I have actually experienced this," if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:11:23 PM by Alec Furtado »

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 07:14:20 PM »
EDIT: Plus, I feel like giving advice in this forum would pretty much be saying, "Yes, I have actually experienced this," if you know what I mean.

I'm actually unclear which forum you're discussing.

As far as what you're attempting to do.  If you don't have time for one jam a month (or even at all in the 6+ months you've been in the Bay)... how do you expect to have the time to meet with the Administration, teach new people, etc.?  I understand things may be more flexible during the week, or whatever, but it strikes me as odd that you have time for one but not the other. 

The other thing is, there are lots of people with direct experience in doing what you want to do, at a University in the Bay Area.  Check in on SFPK and meet  up with us in person.  We have 40-60 people at our monthlies and several thriving sub-communities, as well as experience interacting with institutions and developing communities.

For example, there is a non-profit active in the Bay Area that has insurance and equipment to do mobile demos.  They did one at the SF Nike Women's Marathon and several music festivals.  I'm sure they'd love to do one at SCU.  The guys who run it are community leaders at SFPK, one's an Admin, the other's an Area Rep, and they are leaders heavily involved in the East Bay/Berkeley Parkour Collective groups.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 09:25:18 PM »
I'm actually unclear which forum you're discussing.
The potential leaders' forum

As far as what you're attempting to do.  If you don't have time for one jam a month (or even at all in the 6+ months you've been in the Bay)... how do you expect to have the time to meet with the Administration, teach new people, etc.?  I understand things may be more flexible during the week, or whatever, but it strikes me as odd that you have time for one but not the other. 
Oh for sure, but I mean right now. Like RIGHT NOW. I've been working my ass off for the past week to try and alleviate this situation as soon as possible. Once I'm over the hurdle, should be smooth sailing and full speed ahead on a club.

And I anticipate a monthly jam would take out most of the day, a good 1.5hrs being just travel if I have to take the train into the city. Weekend are the most valuable time to me since I can dedicate the most time to my work without interruptions of class and whatnot. Hence what I said.

But yea, you're 100% right and I'm in the process of fixing that. I can tell you more if you wish to know but just trust me on this. ;)

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 10:30:52 PM »
Word.  For the record, it's a good idea.

You should hit up the SFPK forum too until then.  If you only stay for two hours and go to a monthly closer to you (they rotate all over the Bay), then you could do the deal in 4 hours... hope to see you at one soon. ;)

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 03:53:30 PM »
Heh, not bad.

Naw, but this does give me some ideas...

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 08:25:32 AM »
So I'm in the process of starting the club... got all of the paperwork and building a constitution. If this forum existed presently, I could be documenting it's progress as I go...

The "Parkour and Freerunning Clubs" forum is kind of like this but it needs an overhaul, IMO. It could also do well to generalize it more for any coaching or formalized instruction and organization and not just school clubs.

EDIT: Yay. Thanks Mark :D
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:06:20 PM by Alec Furtado »

Offline aerosfcity

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Demo.
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Connections
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
What forum does discussion about the actual coaching/leading of classes go?  I am really interested in the exchange of movement progression and cueing, foundation conditioning, group dynamics, PK childrens classes, women vs men students, leveled curriculum development, class flow and transitions, presence and communication....basically stuff that is about building a stronger student-coach relationship more than a group-organizer type one.

where would this type of content go? within the Movement technique section or Leader section?

I feel like the American Parkour community would like to stray away from the word "Coach" though... you know how picky we can be with terminology ;D

I like being called coach.  Some of the most inspiring people in my life have been coaches that i will never forget.  I hope to be that.  That and every 5-105 year old kid in the world can say and remember the word, 'Coach'.  

Offline aerosfcity

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Demo.
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Connections
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »
The PKGens guys at ADAPT today mentioned that Finland Parkour Association has an online database for exchanging/stealing awesome lesson plans from the better coaches in the community.  We need this.  Free.