Author Topic: Does anyone knows how to season a steak?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline nuclearapplepie

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Does anyone knows how to season a steak?
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:15:25 PM »
I got these slices of steak, around a third of an inch thick, as a random gift from a friend. I was thinking it will be fun to ask you guys on what to do with them? I got a standard oven or i can just throw them into a pan. Also, does anyone knows what to cook to go with them for a meal for five or six people? I mean potato, rice, salad...that kind of stuff

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
Re: Does anyone knows how to season a steak?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »
You can season it with pretty much anything. To start with, try some salt, pepper, and garlic.

Offline Kim Martin

• Patas
  • More to see, More to do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:17:05 PM »
The best way to season a steak is marinating it.
You can make your own marinade pretty easily.
You need a acidic, a sugar, then spices. The acidic can be alcohol, vinegar or a citric like orange juice. My preferred sugar is brown. for spices you can add almost anything from soya sauce, Heinz 57, Worcestershire sauce and of course traditional spices like garlic and peppers.

Once you have your marinade to your tastes put it in a Ziploc with the steaks get as much of the air out as possible and let sit in the fridge for a day or two.

A good basic marinade for steak is Beer or wine, brown sugar, garlic, pepper and I like adding in a hot pepper sauce. not too much it's just to give the steak a little extra kick

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:44:50 AM »
Don't season + Medium-Rare = Profit.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan