Author Topic: Losing weight, but getting abs at the same time.  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
Losing weight, but getting abs at the same time.
« on: May 26, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »
How in the world can I do this? What type of diet? I exercise every day, I just can't lose body fat yet at the same time get more defined abs. Like, should I eat more protein? If so, wouldn't that just add more weight?
Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
Re: Losing weight, but getting abs at the same time.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:47:40 PM »
Josh, I would personally recommend not worrying about the 6-pack until you have a fridge to put it in (stolen quote.)  With that being said, your diet is what will drop BF%.  Post your diet, and then we can narrow it down.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 05:54:22 PM »
Josh, I would personally recommend not worrying about the 6-pack until you have a fridge to put it in (stolen quote.)  With that being said, your diet is what will drop BF%.  Post your diet, and then we can narrow it down.
Lol. Nice quote. Honestly, I really don't know what to put down as my diet, lol. I drink about 4 water bottles a day. I usually have some protein. I just don't know what to put, so...I can't really get you all to narrow it down :p

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline Brian O'Neil

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 06:54:46 PM »
Put down what you eat. If you can't "quote" the exact amount, it doesn't matter as much.
Action without thought is like shooting without aim.

Advising is easier than helping.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
Its a food journal or food log. Bring a little notebook around with you everywhere you go. Write down everything you eat and drink when you eat and drink it. It'll help you realize how bad you're really eating.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:28:38 PM »
Also, what's your height/weight?
If you're comfortable with it, too, it'd be helpful to have a shirtless shot so a general idea about muscular size and BF % and so on can be evaluated

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 03:16:58 AM »
Height- 6'0''
Weight- 165
BMI- 21.8

In the mornings I eat one pack of poptarts (contains two in each pack) along with a bottle of water. For lunch: (depends on if I'm at school, or if I'm at home) school- french fries, fruit juice, pizza or chicken nuggets. Home- salad, bottle of water, raman noodles or something along those lines. For dinner I don't usually eat that much, bottle of water, steak/porkchops/chicken (depends), salad, mashed potatoes. And throughout the day I drink another two or three bottles of water.

My Youtube(:

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 05:40:43 AM »
For one I don't see why you'd want to loose weight. I'm 5'10" and 185. And I don't want to loose any. And two you eat like a teenage boy, oh wait... but seriously. That's some crappy food. The ramen noodles alone is enough sodium for the whole day.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 06:10:59 AM »
Definitely not enough food and not all the greatest choices. I appreciate the honesty though.

It looks like you wouldn't top 60g of protein on any given day..and your overall kcal is pretty damn low I'm sure too.. I'd focus on improving your food

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 07:19:37 AM »
You must learn to cook a variety of eggs, and drink milk with them.  Insert 2 more meals a day into your diet at least...of eggs and milk.  It would do you a world of good.  I realize that you probably have your meals made for you, so take matters into your own hands and cook, brosauce. :)
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 07:57:52 AM »
And cooking is a lot of fun too.  I cook the majority of the meals for me, the wife and daughter.

Offline superdude88

• is 13!!
  • Mangabey
  • kris vachet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 09:06:52 AM »
dude your 165 and want to lose weight what is wrong lol
I'm Legend, 13, I'm Superdude

"No matter what you see in life see it as an obstacle see it as it can be over come."
-Me

Can't have a rainbow without rain

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »
I want to lose stomach fat. That's all. But if I eat alot of eggs and drink alot of milk, and only work out my abs twice a week, would that help build more abdominal muscles? Or should I work out my abs more?

My Youtube(:

Offline superdude88

• is 13!!
  • Mangabey
  • kris vachet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 04:55:43 PM »
I want to lose stomach fat. That's all. But if I eat alot of eggs and drink alot of milk, and only work out my abs twice a week, would that help build more abdominal muscles? Or should I work out my abs more?
dude if you want a six pack you got to work em more what your rutine
I'm Legend, 13, I'm Superdude

"No matter what you see in life see it as an obstacle see it as it can be over come."
-Me

Can't have a rainbow without rain

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 04:56:54 PM »
You'll probably benefit a lot from lower carb and higher fat diet. You aren't trying to lose weight overall, and are light for your height. You just want to get rid of some of those trouble areas. Usually a lower carb diet will fix this.

As a traceur, a lot of the work we do can be high intensity. As such youd want to time the carbs you do have around (before and after) your workouts/training

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 04:00:42 PM »
Ok, I'm going to start eating more eggs and drinking more milk. Already got the peanut butter ;) KC, could you give me a sample low carb diet or something? I'm also going to do HIIT workouts.

My Youtube(:

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 05:13:12 PM »
Paleolithic Link
This is one way to do it, but you'll want to do the math regarding your carb intake.  IMHO, it's the best way to ensure that what you're eating is of the highest nutritional quality.  Also, research Ketosis, because I refuse to write an article on all of the ifs/ands/and but's.  You're going to want to be pretty "self-informed" on diet and nutrition.  TAKE THE POWER INTO YOUR OWN HANDS!  Keep in mind, if you hit a very low carb count, then you'll need those FFAs (free fatty acids).  I realize that you're younger, but if you take some time to understand the body a little better right now, it'll pay off for a very long time.