Author Topic: Salty alternatives...?  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Kimberly Heuer

• Patas
  • "Action Conquers Fear." -PNZ
    • View Profile
Salty alternatives...?
« on: May 30, 2011, 03:30:38 PM »
After a long workout... or just a long day... or just about any time... I crave salt. I over-salt everything I eat (if someone would like to educate me on how this might kill me someday I am curious, but probably won't change my ways overmuch). But when I'm really craving salt without fail I find myself drawn to the potato chips sitting in my parents pantry.

I'm trying hard to lose weight.
I have very limited self control.
Potato Chips are no bueno.

So I was wondering if anyone had any healthier options or ideas for me to get my salt fix that aren't quite as horrible or fattening as chips. I have no dietary restrictions such as vegetarian or paleo.
Much appreciated!!!
Passivity is a lie, there is only movement.
Through movement, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain expression.
Through expression, my chains are broken.
Movement shall free me.

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Salty alternatives...?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »
Have you heard of umeboshi? They're Japanese pickled plums, and are very salty. You might find them at Asian markets, and I found some at a Whole Foods.

Beef jerky is salty and much better for you than potato chips.
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:29:19 PM »
Just use table salt....

Salt is not unhealthy. Only if you have hypertension problems. The body has a way to regulate electrolytes obviously and as long as you're healthy (e.g. you don't have high blood pressure or CVD) you can eat as much salt as you want without problems
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 05:59:24 PM »
I think the question is salty snacks that are good for someone trying to lose weight to replace potato chips.

I would say make some homemade beef jerky the protien will be more satiating while it will give you that sodium fix. After hard day of training I just throw celtic sea salt on everything I will often put some celtic sea salt in water with lemon juice, or some tea or kombucha to make sure I am getting enough if I have been sweating enough. If you take care of the salt need hopefully it will kill the cravings.

I love salted nuts but I find they are a bad balance of calorie density vs satiation rate when trying to cut way.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Kimberly Heuer

• Patas
  • "Action Conquers Fear." -PNZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 07:00:23 PM »
I think the question is salty snacks that are good for someone trying to lose weight to replace potato chips.

Yes. I have to say, my salt addiction might be over the top, but I have never gone so far as to eat straight table salt :-\ haha

I would say make some homemade beef jerky the protien will be more satiating while it will give you that sodium fix. After hard day of training I just throw celtic sea salt on everything I will often put some celtic sea salt in water with lemon juice, or some tea or kombucha to make sure I am getting enough if I have been sweating enough. If you take care of the salt need hopefully it will kill the cravings.

I love salted nuts but I find they are a bad balance of calorie density vs satiation rate when trying to cut way.

How do you make homemade beef jerky? I have to say I like the idea, but how do you do it?
Passivity is a lie, there is only movement.
Through movement, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain expression.
Through expression, my chains are broken.
Movement shall free me.

Offline Brian O'Neil

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 05:18:46 AM »
Yes. I have to say, my salt addiction might be over the top, but I have never gone so far as to eat straight table salt :-\ haha

How do you make homemade beef jerky? I have to say I like the idea, but how do you do it?

Get a dehydrator (or use oven at low temps) and slice a non-fatty steak (I use round-eyes). Marinade them over night, and dehydrate them for like 6 hours.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+make+beef+jerky
Action without thought is like shooting without aim.

Advising is easier than helping.