Author Topic: Knee Pain or Fatigue  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Klope3

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Knee Pain or Fatigue
« on: May 19, 2011, 03:30:32 AM »
I had a two-hour training session yesterday, which is much longer than my usual period of one hour. Mostly, I was doing a lot of precisions, wall runs, and sloppy climb-ups. Afterward, the knee of my left leg (the leg I kick out with when I jump, since I jump off my right) felt achey and stiff; it hurt to do the movement of going into a "sitting squat," for instance. Today, it feels about the same. Keeping the leg in one position for a long time causes it to hurt like a stretched tendon when I bend it again.

Have other people encountered this when training the moves I mentioned? Do these moves make a particular use of the knee muscles/tendons (whatever those might be)? I'm well accustomed by now to specific muscle groups hurting after I try or emphasize certain moves for the first time, but I ask about the pain now because 1) I didn't realize precisions and wall runs used "knee muscles" and 2) I've always had trouble with crackling, unweidly knee joints and I want to be careful not to make them worse. (Although this does feel like a tendon/muslce problem, not the usual joint pain.)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Goals for 2013:
-Fix Backflip
-Fix Frontflip
-Clean Webster
-Kick the Moon/Flash Kick
-Flow!

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: Knee Pain or Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:14:39 AM »
If you have joint pain you should get it checked out in general by a doc.

Not quite sure what your problem is here because your description is not good enough. No location of pain, no description of type of pain, during which portions of movements it hurts, etc.

I'd get it checked out by an orthopedic doc or physical therapist.

Also, if your muscles are weak your joints take a beating obviously so you should really cut the PK for now and work on strength/rehab
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Klope3

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
In the recent past I've had my knees and other joints checked out by doctors, and through multiple examinations they have strangely found nothing wrong. The joint pain itself is something that has come and gone repeatedly over time, so I'm thinking it might be some form of growing pain. Now before I train I try to always take a quick jog, which warms up my knees and all but elimnates joint pain during training.

I'll try to be more specific about the pain I'm feeling now, although I don't have any technical names of body parts at my disposal.

In a very close proximity around the knee joint area, mainly above the joint, I feel an aching pain and experience more crackling inside the joint itself whenever I bend the leg from a 90-degree angle to being straight. It hurts in the same way to bend it back to a 90-degree angle. (It also hurts to do squatting motions, which bend it in the same way.)

On the other hand, if I relax the muscles in my leg and bend it into the same position by lifting it with my hands, I still hear and feel the crackling (which has always been normal for my knees) but experience no pain. For this reason, I suspect I have strained a tendon or muscle, and that this is what hurting when I force it to do work to bend my knee.

I found a spot right along the top of my kneecap and to the left (my left) that hurts a little when I rub it. It hasn't hurt like this in the past, and it doesn't hurt when I rub the same spot on the other kneecap. Maybe this is the problem spot?

Again, I only ask to find out if this sort of pain is at all common or shared by others when doing lots of work with precisions and pop vaults. I don't expect anyone on the forum to professionally diagnose my problem. The point is, if it's as common as shin splints, then I can better know how to proceed: that is, whether to just rest the leg or to seek expensive help. I wouldn't want to pay money to get diagnosed for shin splints, which go away with rest; if this knee pain is common, I'd rather be aware of it before I go spend money to have it diagnosed.

(At any rate, I will be taking a break from parkour for now, until I can at least walk without pain again.)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Goals for 2013:
-Fix Backflip
-Fix Frontflip
-Clean Webster
-Flow!

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 07:07:52 AM »
So this is on your left knee cap above and to the left?

Sounds possibily like patellofemoral syndrome.

And to be honest your knee issues sound like meniscus problems.

Maybe you should have a physical therapist look at both.

Offline Klope3

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:00:24 AM »
I looked up the syndrome you mentioned and the listing on PubMed Health makes it sound and look exactly like what I'm experiencing. It also seems to suggest that it's a fairly common problem stemming from excessive exercise of the kind that parkour requires (running/jumping on concrete).

Luckily, one of the treatment methods listed is temporary rest of the knee, and after limping for the past day and a half, the knee is close to normal again. I'm thinking that I'll need to get better shoes or shoe inserts, though, since I've now experienced both this and shin splints within a pretty short time frame.

Sort of off-topic, but will getting cushioned shoes or shoe inserts be very detrimental to my ability to jump? Obviously, if there's cushion in the shoe, some of the force used to jump will inevitably be absorbed...

Goals for 2013:
-Fix Backflip
-Fix Frontflip
-Clean Webster
-Flow!

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 03:47:57 PM »
Read this article

Lots of the solution stuff is on page 4

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/

Offline Teresa Cross

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 07:00:14 AM »
A knee is made up of three primary bone fragments called the femora, the patella, and the tibia. The ligaments are parts that might be susceptible to damages and injury to the knees. There are four ligaments in the knee. The knee joint can't be locked in place merely by the bone fragments, the muscles or muscle tissue cells execute an important role to join the knee bone fragments. The cartilage material bones act as a shock absorber for the knees, & abrupt strikes are generally dealt with by this procedure. Moreover, you can find fluid loaded sacs which absorb the external shocks upon the knee.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:19:13 AM by Teresa Cross »