Author Topic: How to kong vault a picnic table longways?  (Read 14071 times)

Offline Brent Spinner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: How to kong vault a picnic table longways?
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 06:38:05 AM »
These guys have covered it pretty well, but I thought I would share one thing that helped me with longer kongs.  When doing a split foot take off I am able to get more horizontal distance if I dip a little right before take-off.  Also, try focusing on getting your hand placement as close to the far edge of the picnic table as you can.  Just keep working on making steady progress doing this and eventually it will click.  Good luck!

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 09:28:49 AM »
I agree with Brent. I started getting sucky at kongs and I realized it's because instead of split foot take-off I punch and I never reached for the end of the obstacle.

Think of it this way, when you do a kong vault, do you think you're going to make it far if you place your hands at the very beginning of the table? Probably not, unless it's a double kong :P. But, if you reach for the end your body also naturally goes into that "dive" position if you're doing it right, and it leaves you enough space to push forward and bring your legs through without touching the table. What I did to progress to longer kongs is just doing them, and if I couldn't get my feet over I would just land on the object. Eventually you'll find the right time to put your hands down and then it'll come naturally to reach for the end.

Uhm what is "block"?

To make it simple, blocking is placing your feet in front of you in a two-foot punch while you have forward momentum. If you punch with your feet in front of you it turns that forward momentum into upward momentum, so you gain a bit more height.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2011, 10:22:58 AM »
O okay, simple enuff! =) Thank you for explaining it to me.
{TEAM ONE-WAY}

Offline Tom Heyl

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »
You can still block with one foot to gain a bit extra height and distance, basketball players use it all the time for height off of one foot.
It's a bit more complicated doing it while jumping forward from split foot but it is possible.

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
You can still block with one foot to gain a bit extra height and distance, basketball players use it all the time for height off of one foot.
It's a bit more complicated doing it while jumping forward from split foot but it is possible.

Yea, that's how I think of it when you compare a punch to a split foot. Split-foot to me, when you have one leg back, is a bit like "reverse blocking", if anyone recognizes that. With one foot below you and another behind you, you're focusing on making all that momentum go out instead of up.

If I could, I would put both of my feet behind me like that, but I don't like the taste of dirt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 01:57:12 AM »
i think you should split foot take off for everything, it just looks smoother.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline isaiah rivera

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »
Blocking with one foot is done by using the penultimate step. To find out how to do that look up one step jumping form on YouTube. Sorry I can't post a link I'm using my phone right now
10 push ups per post

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »
Sure thing.
{TEAM ONE-WAY}

Offline Jarrett

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • snafu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 04:52:19 PM »
"Sounds like the problem is that you're going for too much too soon.  If you give yourself a few months you will be much better prepared for it.  Patience and hard work pay off." Brett Robert(didn't want to take the whole post)

Yes. When I first started with my friends, we did some stupid drops and jumps. because of this my friend's back became severely f#cked. Surgery was required. He had to wait half a year for the back to be safe to operate on and then must wait another two months after the surgery till he can do any physical activity. And he's still gonna wait another month after that and start this summer.

long story short, no matter what you've done before or what you think you can do, BE UBER CAREFUL

"I can't define a hero. All I know is that it's someone you probably don't notice, but when you find out what they did and how modestly they did it, you can never shake off the feeling that you're cut from a lesser cloth, and you find that braggarts suddenly offend you a great deal more than usual."

Offline Akayokaki

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
Here's where I am in trying to do this picnic table vault... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlB5GdkPZ9U

Offline Jan-Su

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2015, 09:41:27 AM »
Another useful thread from the past! (I wonder how many other hidden gems the APK forums might still have. Thank you, Google search results.)

Interesting. Seems like the debate between combined and split take offs were still the rage even years ago. steve dahlin, that video you shared with that really high kong was pretty impressive. And Akayokaki, thank you for sharing your video. That's actually how I look like when I've been doing some of my kongs on a certain picnic table near my high school track. Although when trying it long ways, I of course don't do it with the intention of actually clearing the entire table. I just do it to see how far I can get on it, since at this point, it's really way too long to consider vaulting that far. The table I use is just under 8 ft. long from non-bench side to non-bench side, and I can only get about a third to a little less than half way on it.

I'm still trying to kong over said table on its bench sides, which isn't nearly as long, but I'm wondering if I should try other progressions first before finally attempting the whole thing (and I'm wondering if there are even any progressions for something like this at all). Maybe I should really practice diving and getting my butt up first; I've been rather lacking in those. And I should do it on a softer surface like our couch or my mom's bed just in case.

Man, I can still see a list of things that can go wrong with me trying to attempt to kong that far and fast. With the outer tips of bench to bench about 5 ft., one would have to be able to clear at least 6.5-7.5 ft. in less than a second. I did some conversion calculations, and that's at least a brisk jogging pace by now, not your strolling-through-the-park kind of jog.

Might was well do what I can while the weather's still nice. There's no guarantee I'll ever have the money to buy the materials for my own vault box, and next spring is a long time to wait.

Damn you, limited training spots...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:05:36 PM by Jan-Su »

Offline SebastianCannon

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Libertas in Motus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 11:48:20 AM »
Your right, there are a bunch of these "hidden threads". If I could have gotten to these earlier life would have been easier :P
$Eb@$+!@N C@nN0n-Team Leader of the Flomads