Author Topic: Learning a backflip solo  (Read 13574 times)

Offline alxsmpgmr

• Patas
  • Satisfaction
    • View Profile
Learning a backflip solo
« on: May 06, 2011, 10:47:02 AM »
Can it be done? can i learn a backflip solo, without a spotter? what should i change from normal tutorials? etc.
I'm back!!!

Check out my first PK video! http://youtu.be/ZSrXyTv5bGs

Offline Brian O'Neil

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Learning a backflip solo
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »
Really focus on tucking HARD, and jumping UP?
Action without thought is like shooting without aim.

Advising is easier than helping.

Offline alxsmpgmr

• Patas
  • Satisfaction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:00:12 AM »
which would be a better place to attempt this: trampoline or very soft-dirt hill? i've heard that practicing on an incline is better than flat ground.
I'm back!!!

Offline bryan

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:02:52 AM »
i learned my back tuck solo without tuts. to be honest i just went for it on grass. this is before i realized i could have been at a gym with mats.

jump up, but not forward. tuck hard and use ur arms for swinging motion before you leave the ground. uhhhh, if all else fails and you dont tuck, try to make off with a back handspring. it has happened to me multiple times(not anymore though).

also, make sure ur landing is flat if u are on a hill. if it isnt you might overflip and seriously hurt yourself.
listen to my music at soundcloud

Offline alxsmpgmr

• Patas
  • Satisfaction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »
k, thanks for the tips. i've chosen to do it on the hill behind my house. the dirt is really soft and it's pretty clear.
I'm back!!!

Offline Swa

• Patas
  • Life's short, make fun of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 03:21:50 PM »
I taught myself completely as well.  it just needs guts.  i first did it on a hill as well, but i feel like this kind of set me back a bit, because i was jumping back to take advantage of the incline.  you do NOT do this.  you jump up and keep your head looking forward as long as you can (until your hips get in the way).  thats going to get you much higher.  a little scarier, but more effective.  when i was learning though, i used my hands a TON.  don't be afraid to bail with hands, but dont get used to it.  because when you need to go for it all out, you can NOT use hands and let them help with your arms in the takeoff/tuck.

thats my process from experience.

have a nice day

Offline Klope3

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 04:53:05 PM »
Be really careful! I refuse to learn any flip without mats. Have you seen some of the first-time-flip failure videos on YouTube? The risk of brain damage (which can be minimized if you practice BEFORE using solid ground) is too high for me to just go for it. Even this early in my parkour journey I've had my share of strains and aches that require me to stay away from parkour for weeks at a time. Can you imagine how long you'd have to stay away if you got a concussion?

I don't mean to alarm you, I just felt like someone had to say it. When anyone does a backflip for the first time, something's going to be wrong with their technique (that is to say, we all start somewhere), and you don't want that flaw to damage your body irreparably. If I had gone at my first frontflip on solid ground, I probably would have fractured my pelvis (even on a soft mat, I landed on my back really hard). Always remember in parkour: yeah, there's always risk, but minimize it whenever possible! (And it's usually possible.)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Goals for 2013:
-Fix Backflip
-Fix Frontflip
-Clean Webster
-Kick the Moon/Flash Kick
-Flow!

Offline alxsmpgmr

• Patas
  • Satisfaction
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 07:34:40 PM »
"It doesn't make sense not to live for fun, your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb." - Smashmouth.

That quote compells me to live life to the fullest. however, as of now, i'm not physically able to do the backflip. i need to condition and get into top shape before i hit the technical stuff. Thank you for your advice, i'll be sure to come back to it often.
I'm back!!!

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 02:52:44 PM »
get someone to spot you on the trampoline, so you know how it feels to do a backflip, that's what i did for my first one, then i learned backflip on trampoline, and did it with less bounce, then took it to the gymnastics floor and did it myself,
If you can do a standing backflip on a trampoline with less height then you would get jumping, then you can do a backflip on the ground.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Kim Martin

• Patas
  • More to see, More to do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »
Our trainer had us lay on a vault box and roll backwards off of it to train the motion we need to prefect. its pretty much driving your knees over your shoulders. I don't have it down yet, and I'm not ready to progress to the jump with a spotter and a thick mat.
I'd highly suggest using the box and mat method for a while until you can find a spotter that knows what he is doing and good thick mats to work with

Offline alxsmpgmr

• Patas
  • Satisfaction
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »
thanks again. i'll use my trampoline for a bit first and see if i can get that down, then i'll move on to some soft dirt.  ;D
I'm back!!!

Offline Brian O'Neil

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 11:08:56 AM »
thanks again. i'll use my trampoline for a bit first and see if i can get that down, then i'll move on to some soft dirt.  ;D

You have a trampoline? Damn dude, use the crap out of it. Exactly how Grip described it, and if you can't get a spotter, real focus on the tuck at the peak of the bounce, it's ok to over rotate (not too much, like roll off your heels), not good to under rotate.
Action without thought is like shooting without aim.

Advising is easier than helping.

Offline alxsmpgmr

• Patas
  • Satisfaction
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 01:20:23 PM »
lol thanks. no spotter, my bro won't help me, but i'll be sure to practice practice practice.
I'm back!!!

Offline bryan

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 06:45:08 AM »
also if you are using a trampoline, it wont help you if you are jumping as high as you can and just flipping. try to use the trampoline "less" then you would normaly that way you  can work on tucking. its the only way i can explain what im trying to say :P
listen to my music at soundcloud

Offline alxsmpgmr

• Patas
  • Satisfaction
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 09:14:03 AM »
i get what your sayin. makes sense. heck, if i can get to the point where i can backflip without bouncing first, then i should be ready for dry normal land.
I'm back!!!

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 09:43:14 AM »
Please learn it on flat ground. Don't take advantage of an incline or heights, will just ruin your technique.

Offline alxsmpgmr

• Patas
  • Satisfaction
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 10:53:44 AM »
lol i will. i'll just start with the tramp tonight, then move up (well down) gradually
I'm back!!!