Author Topic: Aero Crew Documentary  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Cloud

• Ryan Cousins
  • Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Alliance - TEAM N00B YEAH!
    • View Profile
    • Aero
Aero Crew Documentary
« on: January 14, 2006, 01:57:38 AM »
Hey guys, here is a documentary done on our crew in Illinois.  I'm happy with the way it came out and feel it really shows what kind of crew we really are.  Only thing is they didn’t choose the greatest moves we did that day, but still turned out ok. Let me know what you guys think and its high quality footage beware dial up.  This is a news crew from Southern Illinois University.

There is an intro with a host so Parkour will come in around 30 seconds, and after the Parkour segment they go into other stories so you don’t have to watch those.

http://www.altnews2646.com/AN701.mov

Get with the flow...

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Aero Crew Documentary
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 02:27:42 AM »
hmm..... close but no cigar. this video is very misleading to people who aren't in the know. also, many people are gonna see those flips and whatnot and instantly start buying "NO PARKOUR type EXERCISE" signs (yea, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point). i know deft and matthew are probably going to jump on me like michael moore on a ham sandwich when they read this, but here it goes anyways.first off let me make it clear that i am not saying there is anything wrong with the way you guys train. you have fun and it is awsome. it looks like a friendly atmosphere. that being said. what was featured in this video was not parkour. when you said you were going to turn vault drop down run over there, and vault down. that right there shows that you are focusing on the moves. a better thing would have been to just say something like "i am going to move from that point up there to the ground over there using any means necissary". and then just do it. don't worry about planning out what moves you are going to do before hand. also, back to the flips and front handsprings. parkour is not about finding the most creative way over an obstacle, it is about finding the fastest most efficient. don't get me wrong, i often do palm spins and reverse vaults and such, but you must make sure to distinguish the difference between parkour and simply having fun. free running, as most would call it, is what you guys are doing in the video. it is just the moves, having fun, linking stuff together, and making it look nice. parkour is taking the most efficient of those movements to move through your environment with speed, grace, and efficiency. i would suggest looking into a little bit of the history of parkour. or, just read this (pawa.fr is down, so i am linking to the google cache). that's all i can think of at the moment, of course people will probably add other stuff as well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 05:56:27 PM by klaymen »

Offline Bubblemaker

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 05:14:02 AM »
Klaymen did not reflect on the movement, but I thought it was really good. I think this will certainly interest people into the sport, and they will dive into the philosophy of parkour later on, and get to know what's parkour and what's not  :)

Got no time now, I will reflect on the flips later, but I don't see these flips as a negative thing in your documentary.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 05:02:04 PM »
i thought it was a pretty good video, although there could be more clarification between the flips and parkour.
one of you guys shoulda gone over it with them before it was released because there was some stuff in it that the media got wrong, for example when you were explaining dash vaults and they were showing clips of guys doing kongs.
really good video though, this should get people interested and like bubblemaker said, there misunderstandings will be corrected soon if they start doing parkour.
you guys look like you have a pretty awesome crew down in chicago
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 05:59:15 PM »
for some reason, i can't get the video to export correctly, and there seems to be no simple program to quickly edit mov files.

@bubblemaker & johnny boy-

it seems that members of the pk aero crew don't have a firm grasp on the art, why would other people figure it out. wouldn't it be better to give them the correct definition to begin with? i am not trying to say they what they are doing is bad, i am simply saying that they shouldn't call it parkour.

Offline SkyNative

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »
Ok, well PK Aero can speak for themselves here, but I for one know that they have a very accurate understanding of what parkour is (whether my own is accurate I dont know...) and it was Alt News that made some mistakes and edited some things out. I thought it was a great piece for getting the word out there despite it minor flaws, which practically all media outlets will have. Good job to all who were part of it!

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 07:43:30 PM »
3:50 "you have different kinds of poses or turns you can do in the air to just make it look more stylish"

3:57 "there's some things you can do with a lot of flair like these flips and tricks like from martial arts you could put into it, you know, you could certainly do that if you want"

i am not trying to say that you guys have no idea what you are talking about. i could be wrong, it may just be the editing. like at 2:23, he was talking about the "purist for of parkour" and they were showing people doing like front handsprings and stuff. it's just speculation. all around though, i thought it was alright. in the future, though try to distinguish between parkour and free running/street acro/frpk/whatever you want to call it.

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 10:03:02 PM »
I really liked that, ever though it was OUTRAGEOUSLY HUGE!  ;), lol, but seriously I don't think that you needed to include the whole entire news broadcast.  Cause really what does "The Evil Dead" have to do with parkour? :)  I haven't even finished downloading the whole thing and I'm at 104 MB.  Very nice though, and excellent quality video, probably the best I've seen, of course it was done proffessionally ;)
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Parkourdan

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 10:04:55 PM »
I have to shake my head on this one. Those who know me well enough already will know why I write this.
It just furthermore shows the deterioration of parkour in America.

On a lighter note the quality was nice.

Cheers.

Offline Cloud

• Ryan Cousins
  • Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Alliance - TEAM N00B YEAH!
    • View Profile
    • Aero
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 12:24:17 AM »
Hey Dim Monk,  It was nice jamming with you in Toronto with Danno, I hope we can get another Canada and USA jam together. 

Thanks for the comments on the video.  PLEASE keep in mind everyone that Alt. Media edited the video to the way they wanted it.  Me, Moses, Frosti, and Ando all have extensive knowledge in parkour.  We do understand it, and would like to remind you that Alt. Media had around 5 hours of footage.  And they simple took the words that they wanted.  In many parts our explanations talked about the flips, but they cut out the part where we clarify this.  Yes some people do like to flip in our crew, but we aren't going to kick them out of our crew just because of this.  Some of this was skewed, and yes they did mess up on the dash explanation, and to help them out we explained a run so they have some sort of idea whats going on.  If traceurs were filming and i got to edit the video then things would be much different.

Get with the flow...

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 01:25:56 AM »
that sucks when you on't get to edit it yourself. thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Ando

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • CHICAGO PARKOUR AERO
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 10:21:26 AM »
 In the doc, Yes, I said

"there's some things you can do with a lot of flair like these flips and tricks like from martial arts you could put into it, you know, you could certainly do that if you want"

they edited out what I said right after that which was,
 "but these things somewhat outside the realm of Parkour and aren't as efficient."  and then i said something about how some people try to bring in outside artforms like gymnastics and martials arts, etc.  I dont remember exactly, but I was disappointed that they cut me off like that.

Aero Crew is not big on flips.  Look at our last video we made, there wasn't a single flip in it. BUT I think that everyone that practices Parkour has at least one move outside of the realm they like to do.  For me its the front handspring, and I feel i've nearly mastered it and can do it at any time without hesitation.

We're not the most serious crew out there, most of these guys are just coming out for fun, and we do show them the basics and emphasize how important it is to keep them consistent. There's a flip or trick once in a blue moon and lately there has been less and less.  If one guy wants to do it, im not gonna stop him, unless its ALL he does.   

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 08:55:43 AM »
That's exactly it, I really wish they'd let us see it before it went out so we could fix these things like the dash vault thing and the way they did the lineup but we weren't in control and they just wanted to make it as visually exciting as possible because that's their job. We were trying to show that it's just a good environment, we had a lot of fun, but we were doing something deeper than skateboarding or just vandalizing the areas, i don't think that came through in the interviews but we can't help that. And Dan you cna't judge an entire continents direction because you think we're all are ignorant of the truth, there are people in the US who do understand what parkour is all about and who do their best to give that idea to everyone they can but I know that at least here in CHicago we enjoy having fun at our jams, just messing around too, and if you don't agree wit hthat then that's alright too, i'm not going to tell you you have to have a good time at your jams, but in my opinion when i train i train seriously, when i jam i have fun. I understand that you only see what was in this short piece and disagree with it, i am even more upset with it because it's me saying it, and i'm not just upset that it was edited to portray a false idea of parkour, but also with myself for not making it 100% clear what it was we were doing. I've spent a lot of time since then disscussing what to say to people so that there is less of a chance of htem getting the wrong idea. So i know why you shake your head but i don't think you can write off all of America yet.

Offline kaos

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 11:52:59 AM »
I am outraged.  I can't believe they did that to you Ando.  I knew when I watched that, that you were cut off...I just knew it.  Frigging media.  I know that news piece was not an accurate depiction of the Aero Crew and their understanding of Parkour.

This reminds me of what Asa was talking about earlier. I think its time we put our heads together and made a pact.  We cannot let the media keep steering things in the wrong direction.  I don't like censorship, but I think it would be worth while to decide collectively what are some things we should never say to the media.  If we don't use certain words they can never spin them.

Maybe I'm being too drastic...I'm just really steamed about this video.
Parkour creates communities, not rivalries. Keep competition out of parkour.