Author Topic: New Organization to Legitimize Parkour  (Read 3486 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: New Organization to Legitimize Parkour
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 05:31:15 AM »
@Alec - I split the topic out as I feel the college clubs was not directly pertinent to the formation of this new org, as it will take some time before the new org has any power / authority to have a useful / positive effect.

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,34395.0.html  - Thread on APK helping and as a resource for forming clubs.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 06:39:24 AM »
@mark I have already sent information to them (Majestic Force and Parkour Generations) about the project, no responses yet.  We will do whatever we can to make this the largest community possible.  As I stated before, we can not do this alone, it will take everyone. Also, Mark you received a information to vote and still have not, voting is cut off today.  Contact me if you need the info again.

That being said, please contact us if you have an organization you wish to be involved in the early processes!  You can contact us right here in this thread or parkourfed@gmail.com

@ashleyMcC, @Shay, @ScottB Email sent!

@Alec your ability to look more official in the eyes of government and other programs is the hugest purpose we have for this program.  Lets all work together to make this possible.  We have plenty of people working on that, and your addition and information would be great!

Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline aerosfcity

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Demo.
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Connections
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 07:30:02 AM »
have you guys ever talked to the fellas down under?
http://www.parkour.asn.au/about-the-australian-parkour-association.php#committee

they set up a pretty similar org for their "APK" a long time ago.  They were the first i think to offer liability ins for their coaches and leaders so they could start programs easier.  They are also wicked organized (-looking).  Their model worked well enough to support a headquarters (gym of awesome) and everything. 

They also have a free instructors only forum... That they only let australians into. :'(
http://www.parkour.asn.au/australian-parkour-association-instructors.php

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 08:21:30 AM »
We had them on our list for sure!  We are currently drafting something similar to my post here for leaders all over the US.  Anyone else?
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »
Emailed you back. :)
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline aerosfcity

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Demo.
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Connections
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 11:05:10 AM »
I think several organizations have been doing this ("legitimizing parkour") for awhile, including APK.  Parkour Generations has been traveling the world over doing this.  How would this organization distinguish itself, or what is this different/new path?

And if the "biggest organization for world parkour" is run by a bunch of americans (who found parkour mostly within the last 5 years right?) how do you think the rest of the much more established and experienced world parkour community will perceive it?

Why not legitimize Parkour in our own nation first (COPK jam not getting stung and shut down/ADAPT-esque cert for coaching/Commission dedicated solely towards developing Leave No Trace programs into actual community PK Parks)  most of this could start right here and now as part of APK, could it not?

Connecting to really high concept ideas> Connecting to our actual people=?

Empowering local APK affiliates to be that legitimacy with local govt? 

The idea of the big organization is what makes me hesitant to believe in it.  The ideas and the cause supported I think we all believe in.