Author Topic: APK Warm-ups  (Read 3183 times)

Offline supafish9

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
APK Warm-ups
« on: December 28, 2006, 02:43:21 PM »
Quick question about the APK warm-ups: are you guys always doing the warm-ups for all the WODs or just whenever you feel like it?  I modify my warmups based on what the WOD is so for running or sprints I'll do more pull-ups and push-ups but if the WOD calls for calisthenics then I'll just get a good jog in before starting.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
Re: APK Warm-ups
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 03:41:20 PM »
If the workout of the day includes running or sprints what the hell is the point of doing push ups and pullups.  The point of warming up is because it will help avoid injury and help get the most out of your workout.  Tell me how many pullups or pushups does it take to warm up your legs?

Offline supafish9

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 09:46:10 PM »
The reasoning for doing different warm-ups is to get my entire body ready to work out.  I'm adding push-ups and pull-ups to a sprint workout so that I'm at least hitting everything for the day.

Gearsighted

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 04:26:28 PM »
I usually work my entire body in the warm-up, whether it's through the default warm-up that I posted here, or some version thereof. A warm-up isn't just a place to work the muscles you are (or aren't) working during the regular workout, but it's also a good place for working on important skills that you should practice every day. These are what I've included in the basic warm-up, which leaves room for other movements you may need work on. In the Primal Fitness facility, I often run through one or two rounds of a similar warm-up followed by skill-work on movements such as handstands, L-sits, Cleans, Snatches, Pull-ups, etc. I change this up depending on what the ensuing workout will entail. This way I'm always practicing important movements close to daily, and my clients do the same.

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 09:55:02 PM »
Sat, about 894, ok, trust me
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 08:29:21 AM »
The point of a warmup is to raise the overall body temperature so the blood is flowing to all areas of the body, and the muscles are supple and ready for work. I usually do the full APK warmup no matter what, and then add on a few extras at the end based on what I'll be working on that day, not so much to warm those muscles up temperature-wise, but to sort of bring my awareness to those muscles since I will be asking a lot of them during the workout/training session.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com