Author Topic: is a weighted bag while jogging bad???  (Read 11590 times)

dak

is a weighted bag while jogging bad???
« on: December 28, 2006, 12:04:20 PM »
i just recently started jogging with a bag full of weights right now im starting small and slowly getting heavier. but i heard that jogging with a bag full of weights is bad for you. sorta like ankle or wrist weights. ?? iunno u guys know anything?

Gearsighted

Re: is a weighted bag while jogging bad???
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 04:54:56 PM »
I definitely can be if you don't take your time. I would run with as little as 5lb for quite a while, and move up in weight VERY slowly, topping out at a much smaller total than you might think possible. Running is relatively high-impact to begin with...adding extra weight only makes it more so. Be careful and take on a manageable progression and you can probably avoid many of the possible injuries.

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 05:53:17 PM »
If you want to do this, run on grass, not on the sidewalk/bikepath.

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 05:55:29 PM »
yeah, in military PT (physical training) they are pretty big on "humping" (taking a bag full of supplies and running), but it's ALWAYS on dirt paths or in grassy wooded areas.
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 08:57:59 PM »
Would the same aply for weighted set ups?  I got a slant bench for christmas and I have it a full decline about a 45 degree angle... And one of the things I have started doing is doing ten with a ten pound weight.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 11:36:45 PM »
Sit-ups don't have you repeatedly slamming part of your body into hard pavement, supporting all of your weight.

(So, feel free to to them weighted, just be careful with how you hold the weights.)

dak

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 02:46:17 PM »
i started with about 15 pounds in the bag. i can manage it. its not to bad not to easy for now. my terrain i run on is everyithing from concrete to grass and gravel from up to down hill. it seems to be working fine. except recently i broke my big toe..(non parkour related)

Offline Nik "Nik" Horvat

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 01:23:39 PM »
If you are going to use a weight, the way you are doing it is exponentially better than ankle weights.  From the info that I've found the best method is to use a weighted vest. It has less chance of moving/swinging around and changing your momentum in a dangerous way.
"All of us failed to match our dreams of perfection. So I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible."
-William Faulkner

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline itsme

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 03:48:06 PM »
The question you might want to ask yourself is "why am I running with weights?" What practical purpose does it have towards your parkour training? If you plan on doing many runs while carrying weight, than yeah it makes sense... otherwise I like what gear and ninja said... running is already high impact, and no more is needed... running on grass and/or any uneven and unpredictable surface is great for conditioning your entire body... ankles, knees, core, nervous system, I shouldn't need to list any more... just think about it
Why shoot the breeze about it, when you could be about it

dak

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 11:48:21 AM »
The question you might want to ask yourself is "why am I running with weights?" What practical purpose does it have towards your parkour training? If you plan on doing many runs while carrying weight, than yeah it makes sense... otherwise I like what gear and ninja said... running is already high impact, and no more is needed... running on grass and/or any uneven and unpredictable surface is great for conditioning your entire body... ankles, knees, core, nervous system, I shouldn't need to list any more... just think about it

getting use to what ima have to do if i join the army...
but i don't want to do it if its gonna injure me.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Dont listen to Sat....Think with your balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 02:43:08 PM »
also remember to keep the weights tight to your body. If they are even a bit loose the force from them flopping up and down will make the weights heaveir than they are, and it cant be that great for your back.

I love running with a weight vest but that is because it helps for paintball (where i am carrying 15 - 20 pounds of stuff)

Offline itsme

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 06:01:09 PM »
Zeus and Van, you guys both have purpose to what you're doing... just making sure... peace.
Why shoot the breeze about it, when you could be about it

Steez

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 05:08:45 PM »
i think that this is applicable...

i saw the sprinters (i'm a distance kid. distance>sprints) at my school training with this strange contraption.  the person using it wears a vest with a cable attatched to the back.  the cable goes through the pully and onto a handle which is held by another person.  the handle person leans back very hard on the cable while the sprinter...sprints.  they are sprinting while pulling weight, basically. 

crazyted

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 07:04:48 PM »
that sprinting drill is to help with cordination as well as functional strength for Sprinting... it has a purpose if you want to run with weights becuase you may need to run with a bag or some thing than do that, but as other have said running is high impact and why are you running with weights... anyways have fun

dak

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 08:04:07 PM »
yea i love running, and running with a bag is even funner. But when ever a random parkour opportunity popped up i couldn't do it with a 20 pound bag on my back. So i cut it off.

Offline Matt0614

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 01:46:25 PM »
in a situation where parkour is really needed(your getting chased, sumone is trying to kill you or sum random event where ur worked up and trying to get away) i gaurantee u if u have to carry a wait in that situation it will feel weightless and ur parkour will run smoother just because of your adrenaline rushing through you

Offline Canavi

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 08:31:17 AM »
Carrying weight while doing sprint drills WILL make you faster.

My soccer team uses parachutes attached to our backs to do speed training.

One example is doing a 2 mile run on a track, with one section of the track has cones, we have to sprint that coned section (Coach timing) and then we can jog around until we come back to the cones, then we sprint again. All of this with a parachute.

(That is a great  training exercise)
North Carolina Parkour/Free running
www.ncparkour.com

Moa

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 06:54:55 PM »
UMM one thing when you are being chased or something. You dont rise to the occasion you fall to everything you have perfected and no more

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 09:53:56 PM »
Yes, it can cause you back probs and plus u don't use bags weighted in PK
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

aggreenvln

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 12:58:47 PM »
This thread has a ton of good info on the topic.