Author Topic: I need help. I need Parkour.  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Deseas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
I need help. I need Parkour.
« on: April 12, 2011, 01:36:54 PM »
Sorry if this is within the wrong forum.

Hi, i've been trying to figure out how to type my message for you people to understand where I might be coming from.

My name is Cody Sharman, im 17, Ht: 5'11, Wt:155

I have always had the feeling that i'm never being challenged in this generation. We get things handed to us all the time with no need to ever really work for things. This has left me with a deadened sense of life, assuming everything will come easily in my life. This i know isn't true and the real world is harsh and unforgiving. I come here to ask for your help. I need something to live for, a kind of purpose, I need Parkour.
I believe Parkour can, and will, give me a more open veiw to life and actually feel a thrill of challenge; however, I know im not active a lot, yet I am in a bit of better health than some. Im building Goals and trying to figure out some for myself.

I came to ask for help today. I want to be able to become an inspiration to others, because I have yet to find one for myself. Please enlighten me.

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
Re: I need help. I need Parkour.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 02:11:02 PM »
go out and run.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline J. Gabriel Alvarez Manilla

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:34:18 PM »
go out and run.

Kinda. Some define parkour as "just movement." Others as getting from A to B efficiently. My favorite is training to get from A to B without letting obstacles impede you. Either way, you'd have to understand how we think of parkour to understand that statement at a glance.

I recommend you find interviews on youtube with people from the Yamakasi, David Belle and Sebastien Foucan included, and for you to find the meaning of their words. It would be good to go to the Local Connections section of these forums to find your nearest community; people IRL can better teach you how to go about training than people online can because they can teach through example. And in that meantime, it would be good to get familiar with technique and terminology of common movements.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:16:05 PM by admiralsanchez »
The Great Way is universal,
it can apply to the left or the right.
All beings depend on it for life,
and it does not refuse.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
go out and run.
Yea. Pretty much just that.

Once you're done with your goals, head on down to the Fitness forum to figure out how to accomplish them the best.

And relax a bit. You're 17. It's fantastic to want to do more with your life but just keep in mind you still got a lot of years to go with a lot of experiences and a lot of time to re-think your stuff. By all means, go full speed ahead, but really figuring out what you want is going to come with time. Then it'll go, lol. Then you'll figure something else out...
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Gene

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »
yup, what Alec said. there's a lot to see and experience out there. i suspect that when something happens that begins to change the way you look at things, you'll barely be aware of the breadth of it. patience =).

that said, Parkour --if practiced even somewhat properly --will at least change the way you view your environment. unfortunately, i don't believe you're gonna get the answer you're looking for from forums. it's good that you're building goals: keep doing that. Parkour is about moving. no matter what obstacle is in your path, you keep moving.

-edit: stay safe too!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:38:42 PM by PsychopathicEmus »

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 06:40:08 PM »

I have always had the feeling that i'm never being challenged in this generation. We get things handed to us all the time with no need to ever really work for things. This has left me with a deadened sense of life, assuming everything will come easily in my life. This i know isn't true and the real world is harsh and unforgiving. I come here to ask for your help. I need something to live for, a kind of purpose, I need Parkour.
I believe Parkour can, and will, give me a more open veiw to life and actually feel a thrill of challenge; however, I know im not active a lot, yet I am in a bit of better health than some. Im building Goals and trying to figure out some for myself.

This is a beautiful thing for me to read. It's amazing to know that there are even a few kids out there who understand that there's more to be gained from life than the phone you stare at and the easy world of "survival" we now live in. Being only 16, this is something I've come to learn. Hard work and the rewards gained from it have become a lesson long forgotten by our generation, and continues to be more and more forgotten.

What's the point to being alive if there's nothing you have to struggle for to gain? To quote an unknown author: "Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:14:19 PM by Matthew Wang »
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Tex__

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Shoe!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 03:32:13 AM »
This is a beautiful thing for me to read. It's amazing to know that there are even a few kids out there who understand that there's more to be gained from life than the phone you stare at and the easy world of "survival" we now live in. Being only 16, this is something I've come to learn. Hard work and the rewards gained from it have become a lesson long forgotten by our generation, and continues to be more and more forgotten.

What's the point to being alive if there's nothing you have to struggle for to gain? To quote an unknown author: "Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives."

not everyone lives in an easy world. I know plenty of people barely making it by, and neighbor hoods where you can be shot for just being outside at night.
To have no regrets would mean you never cared about anything; and if that's the case, you are a sad human being indeed. -FrostySTL

Welcome to the f#cking internet.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 05:59:40 AM »
right now we grow up in a time where we compete world wide for jobs and college, we have a lot more on our shoulders than our parents did.

if you are in high school with a "deadened sense of life" you need to realize what you are talking about. everything is handed to you in public school but, when you go to college or into the working world you realize just how much is NOT handed to you.

there is more to life than the human way, if you truly feel dead to the world look into buddhism and get your mind straightened out. life is in the air you breath and each moment, not days or years but, each moment.

there is beauty and joy everywhere you look, in everything you taste, smell, hear, see and feel. instead of ignoring reality learn to enjoy it more. after all you only have one life, why feel like you have to fit into a mold when everyone and everything you know is already fitting into a much larger mold and we are all destined for exactly the same place, death.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline bryan

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
listen to my music at soundcloud

Offline Cheshire Parkour

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »
Personally, i suggest perusing the forums, seeing whats going on, checking out what it's all about.

watch alot of youtube videos. dont use them as a standard for yourself, but use it to be motivated. my personal favorite traceur is daniel ilabaca, check out his video choose not to fall. its really good inspiration.

but other than that, try things out yourself. with that being said, dont be dumb and do things you know are beyond your skill level. start from the ground up, thats how we all started.

keep the motivation, and keep the flow.
In memory of Andrew. Rest in peace, fellow traceur.

Break, away from everybody. Break, away from everything. If you can't stand the way this place is, take yourself to higher places. - threedaysgrace

Offline Deseas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 03:00:16 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, greatly appreciated.

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 04:58:24 PM »
Find a group to train with and start there.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline bryan

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 05:00:02 PM »
watch alot of youtube videos.

to an extent i agree. usually standards are set by inspirations in general. since you are new i presume, make sure you have a reason to move. not just "its an adrenaline rush".

also, if you havnt had any background in gymnastics, i would recommend sticking to someone more "pure". someone that uses alot of technique and less freestyle. that way you can see the correct way things are done :P

and yes, daniel ilabaca is a person to look for in videos
listen to my music at soundcloud

Offline Deseas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »
Well there are no traceurs around where I live, and theirs no gyms and such. So im going to have to try and get technique down as best as possible.

Offline Klope3

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
Where do you live? I was surprised when I found videos of people I know doing parkour. Search the forums for your city before concluding there's nobody else near you.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Goals for 2013:
-Fix Backflip
-Fix Frontflip
-Clean Webster
-Kick the Moon/Flash Kick
-Flow!