Author Topic: Legal Issues with a PK/FR Park  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
Legal Issues with a PK/FR Park
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:21:54 AM »
Has anyone here actually looked into the legal/insurance obligations of opening a park for PK/FR?  I had a local guy ask me if I knew anything regarding it, and I had to admit that I am not familiar with the laws involved.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Issues with a PK/FR Park
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:21:22 AM »
Also if you were holding a jam at a park and you were trying to teach new people what would stop them from sueing you if they got hurt?

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 07:05:56 AM »
There's numerous skateparks around (my area at least). While I'm no legal expert, I'm sure a parkour park would work pretty much the same in a legal sense.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »
Ehow Skatepark is about all I've been able to come up with so far.  I would assume that the laws were similar, and that there would have to be signs posted that stated "Freerun at your own risk!"  Etc. 

How about liability waivers?  What issues should be addressed?  These should work for Patrick's question as well.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 09:20:35 PM »
Actual legal situations are part of the reason why I asked to make this forum... haha. I'll PM some people I know can help.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:32:55 PM »
Saw a post on Facebook today about parks in NYC... check this link and see if you can get in contact with anyone through it:
http://www.uvsn.org//page/initiatives-for-the-community

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 03:42:12 PM »
Law differ by states. You might want to ask a lawyer from your state. There are a few on here that could help but they can only give legal advice about their own state.
Be responsible with your body. You will have it for all of your life. Make it a strong tool. Like bamboo, give it strength, but flexibility. Like water, give it flow, but power. -Adam McC