Author Topic: A Quick Reminder to Train in Nature  (Read 13040 times)

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
A Quick Reminder to Train in Nature
« on: December 22, 2006, 11:54:07 PM »
Ok so here i sit, bored, and with a broken collarbone.  I was trying to figure out what i could do to better the community, and decided that I'd put this out here to help people remember that training in Nature is an efficent way to increase themselves.

The nature, for most of us in the US this means the woods. At least it does for me. The woods, my sanctuary. The only place that i always feel at home. The woods never make me feel out of place no matter where i am. The woods are warm, welcoming, and personal. No matter how much i feel like relaxing and enjoying the woods, sometimes i just have to run. The feeling you get blasting thru the woods, dodging its sharp fines, and jumping it's tranquil stream. Running thru the woods just makes you feel good. It helps you relax and helps you release stress. But just as much it helps you increase your skills as a Traceur.

Many people complain that they have no where to do parkour. But the truth is, for most of these people, it's only a few yards away. In rural cummunity's it is sometimes hard to find urban spots to do parkour. So it's  time for us people who live in rural cummunitys to look to the woods. The woods hold, roots, streams, vines, trees, herbs, flowers, weeds, springs, hills, and plateus. Now look at all these options. When your in the woods, and you have the eye, you see constant oppurtunities. You see everything. There is a chance to do just about any movement you can think of. And it opens up possibilities to be even more creative then in an urban environment.

Now how to prepare. One thing i've noticed when i'm in the woods is, it's almost better to do it alone. When there are other people there you may need to pace yourself to them, or you may be tempted to stop and rest more often. So i advise trying it by yourself first, but do whats best for you. Another thing i suggest, is to not stop and drill when your in the woods. When your in the woods run! Blasting thru the woods helps you much more then drilling in one spot. So be prepared to run. Some people enjoy music, i prefer to just listen to the noises of the woods. Once again do what is best for you. If you plan on being in the woods for a long time, bring a backpack. With a cell phone, some food, some drink, and anything else you think you might need.

Finally, things that i think will be helpful for you to do in the woods. These are just a few things that i do in the woods, do not limit yourself to these things. The woods are so full of oportunity. Thats one thing that's great about them. No two people will do the same thing in the woods. One thing i do is just run. You take off full speed. This seems like it would be easy, and it would on a concrete wasteland, but in woods it presents many more chalenges. As you run you must be aware of your sorroundings. You never know where there might be a root, a snagging vine, or even a random ten foot drop off(trust me i've been there). This need to constantly dodge, dip and dive (to quote dodgeball) helps raise many skills that may be useful for Parkour, in or out of the woods. First off it raises your body awareness. The need to know where things are, and be able to know where your body is in relevance is impareative. Second off is your agility. You must constatly move to dodge this objects. This may require a large aray of body movements, so last off is your ability to make up movements that work on the fly. In order to dodge some of the things that get in your way you must think fast. You must be able to instantly realize that there is something in your way, and be able to adjust your movement to dodge.

Running is just one thing you can do in the woods. Another thing is tree swinging. If you live in an area wich provides large suitable trees for climbing, it can be very beneficial to play around in the trees. The movement in trees, helps your balance, your grip, and even more so your ability to deal with heights. The trees are a forgiving environment compared to the urban jungle. Trees give you branches to catch if you fall, and they give you grass and dirt to land on if you can't catch those branches.

Ok, so yes, you are more likely to chased in an urban environment then the woods. But training in the woods can help you alot, in your urban parkour. Plus, you never know where a chase could bring you, and the skills you need. But more than that, the woods are just a great place to be. They help you take a load off if your stressed, and they let you free your mind if your in need of your own peaceful place.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
Re: A Quick Reminder to Train in Nature
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 12:27:22 AM »
Completely agreed, Cyanide.  Wood training is often neglected, but extremely useful (if not essential).  I've neglected it, myself, but I have been trying to incorporate it more and more into my training.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Gearsighted

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 05:27:08 AM »
What I've always felt is most beneficial about training in nature is the random and unexpected nature of the obstacles you encounter. When you're running in an urban environment, you can look at a rail and be relatively certain that it is connected to supports at a certain angle, that the walkway underneath it is parallel, that the curb is exactly *this* high. When you run through a natural environment, the same path can become limitless in its possibilities because there are no hard angles or exact measurements. Rarely are both feet on a totally flat surface, or a landing is perpendicular to the vertical aspect of a boulder. You have to learn to adjust quickly and not anticipate, but rather react to the changing situation immediately. This obviously carries over to increased agility, coordination and commitment in any other endeavor you choose to attempt. Good stuff. :D

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 06:57:06 AM »
and then you sprain your ankle.....

Kidding. You're very right about that. nature is the bomb diggity to train in. Im actually thinking about doing great falls at this year's (b)east coast jam. I love it!

Offline SCOP3S

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 09:25:21 AM »
Great post cyanide! I live in a very rural environment so I have a lot of experience of training in the woods. I think you nailed the feeling perfectly. I'd just like to point out one more distinct advantage the woods has. Most of the time you can find logs, large stones, etc laying around that can easily be moved and set up into "custom" obstacles. This can't normally be done in the urban environment. So what kind of an advantage is that? When I find an obstacle or movement type that I think I am weak at, I set up that obstacle in the woods and just practice practice practice on it. It really helps.

So yea, respect the woods and its offerings, it WILL make you a better traceur.

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 01:59:45 PM »
I agree with all of you as well. Gear is correct, the woods are constantly growing, and constantly changing. Things are always different. Not to mention with spring coming around. The transition from winter to spring in the woods is amazing.

Great falls sounds fun. I'll probally be there for Beast Coast so yeah. Rocking.

And yes, you can arrange the woods for drilling. It takes a little time, but it's easy to set up an excellent obstacle course in the woods. I personally like just running it like it is. The woods seem to present themselves to me as an obstacle course, regardless of wether or not i set it up that way.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 02:09:57 PM »
This should go on the Frount page +1
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Scott

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 02:17:16 PM »
if any of you live near national parks, many of them are AMAZING training locales.   Yosemite? YES PLEASE. 

Offline Joe Ramos

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 02:20:42 PM »
Really good read I enjoyed it a lot makes sense in the long run it would naturally make you a better tracour. At least i think it would.

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 02:33:45 PM »
Yeah national parks are great. And don't forget about state parks as well. There are quite a few more then you may expect. I live near Shawnee National Forest. Where the Garden of the Gods jam is going to be hosted. Come on, what would this world be if it weren't for a little advertisment?

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 04:02:15 PM »
Poll for front page please.  Administrator?

Gearsighted

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 04:16:29 PM »
Done and....

...done :D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 04:21:02 PM by gear »

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 04:21:51 PM »
Wow, umm. I feel special. Thank you for putting it on the front page.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 09:57:56 PM »
I train about half the time or more in nature, I find that it just is more therapeutic for my mind, it gets me in mindset for parkour better, everthing just seems to flow into natural courses, its more interesting challenging and beautiful. I think it is way overlooked. Ocean shores and alpine boulder fields (stay of the meadows) are great for parkour too. Glad to see other people enjoying natural enviroments too. One thing I ask if if you find yourself as in love with training in natural enviroments as I am give back a little too, take a back pack and pick up trash, be poltical active about maintain parks and protecting natural lands. 
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline psycosis12

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 06:16:52 AM »
off-topic...that wasn't a quick reminder  ;D

Offline Skinny

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Owner of Fight or Flight Academy in Edina MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 09:38:28 AM »
Training in nature is one of my favorite things, my training grounds is minnehaha falls, so i just to run around there, and its awesome. i dont even think about my movements, i just move. then im amazed at what i just did. good call to the article.
MNPK - Covered in snow most of the year but the ground is always lava

Minnesota's first parkour and freerunning gym www.fightorflightacademy.com

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 11:39:16 AM »
Wow, i'm suprised, as i keep seeing more and more people who train in nature. And that was to a quick reminder.

Offline Skinny

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Owner of Fight or Flight Academy in Edina MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2006, 02:38:29 PM »
Heck yes! I wa planning on making a vid next summer and having part of it being in the woods. So that should be fun
MNPK - Covered in snow most of the year but the ground is always lava

Minnesota's first parkour and freerunning gym www.fightorflightacademy.com

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2006, 03:02:51 PM »
Ok so here i sit, bored, and with a broken collarbone.
I TOTALLY feel your pain man.  I'm fully better on january 3rd, but the last few weeks have been hell.
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2006, 03:17:32 PM »
Eh, i'm on my 4th or 5th week right now. I've already started back doing minute amounts of parkour. I barely feel it any more, but occasionally it will be soar.