Author Topic: JUNIORS & AM COMPATITION LEAGUE  (Read 2528 times)

Offline OPSLORUNNER

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
JUNIORS & AM COMPATITION LEAGUE
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:01:19 AM »
Any ideas about juniors compatitions and AM. Comp. Organizing a national league using modified pro-parkour rules. Individuals Comps. Subtract the acro-run score from the speed-run score, winner has lowest number.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:31:36 AM by Alec Furtado »
FREERUNNING TILL OLD AGE

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Re: JUNIORS & AM COMPATITION LEAGUE
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:53:37 AM »
Would be interesting... smaller organized competitions outside of these massively corporate events (not saying they're bad, necessarily).

What I kinda prefer is doing them as an event within a regional or national jam. That way all can be involved, people who don't care for competition can still join in, and people can get to know and train with the people "competing."

As far as what kind of competitive events and how to judge them, I'd have to think about that myself for a bit... we've had a lot of good new examples recently to learn from.

Btw OPSLORUNNER, please check your Caps-lock key. I already converted your posts in here to be lower case so that others would actually read them, please don't make me do it again.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:55:16 AM by Alec Furtado »
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:29:37 AM »
I'm not entirely against competition...but I'm not exactly for it either.  I do think an actual parkour "league" for competitions is a horrible idea.  Parkour should always be about learning how to use your body effectively and learning all that you can do with it.  When you make things so organized, it becomes less free.  I currently coach a gymnastics team and I'm always disappointed when the athletes could easily learn some really cool skills, but they don't or shouldn't because it's either not worth anything in competition or it's not exactly a "fig" move.  If we make an organized competitive league, people will learn what skills score higher and there is a chance they will only and always train those skills.  This scares me.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 08:22:57 AM »
the athletes could easily learn some really cool skills, but they don't or shouldn't because it's either not worth anything in competition or it's not exactly a "fig" move.  If we make an organized competitive league, people will learn what skills score higher and there is a chance they will only and always train those skills.  This scares me.
This is a good point... that scares me as well now that you mention it.

My thoughts:
I'm usually in favor of the speed stuff anyway over the "points for skillz" thing. After while, the flips and tricks all start to look the same, but there's definitely an art and style to the speed/race forms of competition.

I totally love what Ninja Warrior does because it's just what it is. It's not trying to be a parkour competition. It does benefit from using the skills and strength that can be developed through parkour training.

So if you want a parkour competition, be a friggin' parkour competition, as odd as it sounds, and have some obstacle coursing. If you want a free-running competition, set some courses and let people have at it. If you want a tricking competition, just put a floor out and maybe a couple blocks/bars and let people show their stuff. Stop mixing all of them and calling it parkour and/or free-running because you're just confusing people and bastardizing the art form.

For srs.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline OPSLORUNNER

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »
Couldn't agree with you all more, that's why I'm asking for input, this is a big deal and must be done properly so as to do the PK/FR/TR community proud.  I'm thinking that as an overall system of movement the sports activity that we all argue about a name for, should be showcased as that "freedom of movement".  I've been doing this since the 80's I don't care what we call it as long as we all recognize that we are a family linked by a unique way of viewing and engaging our envirnment.  With this in mind, I propose we combine the skills of speed and the style of flare, while running a course with checkpoints long enough to compensate for the total potential trick/flow score.  The course is timed as well as the trick skills scored seperately for flow and dificulty/execution.  The trick/flow score is subtracted from the time, lowest score wins.  Rules for juniors could include a list of restricted tricks by general skill levels (beg., int., adv.).  Local comps could lead up to nationals, just like any little league sport.

I've had the lack of trick depth in the gym as well and  I am hoping that if proberly organized the kids can be motivated for creativity rather than difficulty and danger.  After all roofs are for pro's when stunting not everyday play.

sorry for the caps, force of habit.

FREERUNNING TILL OLD AGE

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »
Ok so don't get me wrong. I think the time people spend on tricks/flare is worthy of being rewarded by gaining recognition in a formal competition. It's cool, it's fun. I train and incorporate acro into my training myself. Go ahead and have a course for speed with tricks, but I feel a course where speed/ability (still thinking Ninja Warrior-esque) is the only decider is very important.

Offline lethalbeef

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 11:10:13 AM »
I really like the idea of local competitions, actually. I totally agree that it'd be cool to incorporate them into national jams. But I can't get on board with a "pro-parkour" league. I don't think there should be any reason to set your goals in a way that tries to "objectively" score your ability in comparison to everyone else in the league; it takes away from the "friendly" of "friendly competition," which I think is characterized by a sense of comradery that comes post-match. Sort of like how in Fight Club, at the end of the day, everyone is bonding over the activity even though they were beating the shit out of each other. The less you make it about personal or friendly competition, the more it approaches this kind of "winning is everything" mindset, and you lose out on a lot of the fun that we get from freedom of movement. Just my current views on competition in general. I digress.

As far as what you're trying to accomplish, how are you planning to do judging? Would you have to train the judges to spot the scoring ahead of time? An obstacle course speed run type of thing is easy to control, score, and to some degree, plan. Rules are easy to explain, score is hard to dispute. On the other hand, judging freerunning is (or at least should be) very difficult. What other competitions could you have that are specifically parkour related? How about other events, maybe just fun ones, like QM race, QM tag, PDQ, strength tests, etc?