Author Topic: Julie Angel Blog and Book  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
Julie Angel Blog and Book
« on: March 15, 2011, 07:53:26 PM »
So most of you have probably heard of Julie Angle. She has made a lot of parkour videos showcasing many of the greats in Europe. Apparently she is getting a P.H.D in Parkour to do so she is writing a book. Here is a preview in her blog. I'd like to see some interesting discussion about this. Let's keep it civil.

http://www.julieangel.com/blog.html#id20   

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
Re: Julie Angel Blog and Book
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:18:18 PM »
I gotta say I love Julie Angel.

I actually agree a lot with her blog post. There really isn't one thing that can really stick out with being that I agree 100% because I agree with the whole post. Hmmm...my thoughts are going nuts, I'll edit when I can form what I'm thinking in a post.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:02:50 AM »
I thought that was an extremely well written and thoughtful essay.  There are no easy answers to some questions and I respect that she didn't try to summon any.  She left readers free to make their own decisions, while providing a different, and well-informed, perspective to aid them in so doing.  Well played Julie Angel.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 05:00:34 AM »
I think Julie's made a lot of valuable contributions to the Parkour community through her films portraying Parkour in a responsible and socially acceptable way. I'm sure her written pieces will be just as valuable.

My concern for this piece is that basing research on participant observation has potential to cause problems when most of the participants aren't sure themselves what they are doing. I think it's good that Julie's tried to get information from the early practitioners, but I think there is still a big gap between how they experienced Parkour and how most modern practitioners experience it. I think it will be interesting to see which Parkour is portrayed, the Parkour of it's creation, the Parkour of modern times, or some merged version of the two.

Whether it has problems or not, this piece of research will still be the next step forwards in understanding this discipline for a lot of people and I'm sure it will prove very useful.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 05:39:04 AM »
I feel that Julie's piece is very insightful and well written, however I do feel it has a bias.

I feel that Parkour Generations doesn't give nearly enough credit to their time in UF and credit to UF for what they did. It is easy to see UF as the evil empire, but without UF the landscape would be entirely different and most of us may not have heard of Parkour yet. Dan was part of UF and if I'm not mistaken got his start in the Parkour world there. Forest too. Forest was part of UF while I was still there. UF started doing work with schools which to me seems like it deserves some credit as the start of the Jump Westminster program.

I feel like Julie's view of the French as "Failing to get it to gain popularity" is a little off as well. Back in 2003 the French were telling people to literally f-off. They had been burned by big companies and were sick of doing magazine articles, tv, etc. - at the time they didn't WANT to have a gain in popularity (there are many sources that support this). They also had arguments over jobs, money, and other things which were never very publicly discussed. Of course there was some hypocrisy there as David Did Rush Hour and Seb and co did Jump London, and many of them had done a feature length film "Yamakasi" which was released in 2001 so presumably filmed in 2000.

I wish that Julie had been around in 2000-2003, we would have a much clearer history of the transition of Parkour out of France and into the world.

I feel that the way she discusses Stephane and his views is spot on, and I hope that we all continue to work to show the true potential of parkour as a discipline.

10PU
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 05:59:43 AM »
I'll spend more time on this after my final exams, but I'd be interested in somebody shedding some light on how
Apparently she is getting a P.H.D in Parkour 
1. What source made this apparent?
2. What/where/who is giving said PhD?
3. Are there other P(k)hDs? ;D

I haven't even heard if you can get a doctorate in gymnastics... I know you can get a degree in anything, it just depends on who offers it and how...
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 06:39:28 AM »
I'll spend more time on this after my final exams, but I'd be interested in somebody shedding some light on how
1. What source made this apparent?
2. What/where/who is giving said PhD?
3. Are there other P(k)hDs? ;D

I haven't even heard if you can get a doctorate in gymnastics... I know you can get a degree in anything, it just depends on who offers it and how...

What I said may have been a little unclear. I didn't mean actual Parkour but this is what Ms. Angel herself says about it.

Quote from: Julie Angel
. "My days, weeks and months have been consumed with trying to complete my PhD on the Visual Anthropology of parkour - doing a PhD was one of the most ridiculous ideas I’ve ever had - but there you go."- http://www.julieangel.com/blog.html#id20

I don't know where she is getting that degree and according to Pk gens it's the first degree of it's kind.

I thought it was funny that she talks about opportunists when she herself has made money off of parkour. I wonder if when she first saw it practiced she thought "Hmm I could film this, break the story, publish something, get experience and maybe make money." I wonder if she thought that parkour offered her an opportunity to move up and make money off the big jumps. I also wonders if that was the case (I don't think it still is if it ever was) if she realizes the irony in it. (again if that was the case) I think it would be an interesting story about someone who was changed by parkour without actually participating much (she said did a little parkour).   

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:49:32 AM by Patrick Witbrod »

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 09:50:23 AM »
I do feel that PKgens is as "in the mix" as anyone, and I'm not sure where the apparent attitude of "we just help" and "we an an "org"" comes in. this google ad pops up on my email constantly ...

Professional Freerunning - The World's Largest Group of Elite Professional Practitioners. - www.ParkourGenerations.com

To me there is no conflict, I feel that people can have a profitable business and do good things. I just feel like they (PKGens) have a split personality. APK makes no pretensions, we try to help people, educate people, we offer a lot of info and help and a lot of our time for free, and we also offer products and services for sale, and we've never been shy about either :)

I don't think of Julie as "doing it for the money" any more or less than anyone else who wants to make a living doing what they love, and I have no issue with that.

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 10:18:56 AM »
I thought it was funny that she talks about opportunists when she herself has made money off of parkour.

After speaking with her, I was left with the impression that what she's doing (filming, documenting and all of that) barely pays the bills. We both agreed on the idea of being poor (in financial terms), but rich in experiences haha.

Offline Sam Zytka

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
After speaking with her, I was left with the impression that what she's doing (filming, documenting and all of that) barely pays the bills. We both agreed on the idea of being poor (in financial terms), but rich in experiences haha.

a lot of the time i feel as if we overestimate the amount of money that is made at the expense of parkour, i don't think very many have gotten into it because of the money....

i liked the post and im interested to see what more will come, but damn if she interviewed all those founders she should have at least documented it and released to us

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 12:22:58 PM »
a lot of the time i feel as if we overestimate the amount of money that is made at the expense of parkour, i don't think very many have gotten into it because of the money....

i liked the post and im interested to see what more will come, but damn if she interviewed all those founders she should have at least documented it and released to us

I don't. lol.