Author Topic: Rutgers University Parkour club turned down. What now?  (Read 6288 times)

Offline Mr.WWII

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Do what you can't, Parkour.
    • View Profile
Rutgers University Parkour club turned down. What now?
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:17:52 PM »
So here at Rutgers University we were in the process of making an official sports club for Parkour. With this we would have gotten our own training time in the gymnastics gym and Olympic weightlifting room, as well as funding to go on trips to Jams. It was all set in place, our board meeting went well and the Sports Club director was fascinated by our idea, but alas, the final say of the student run sports club committee deemed that the club was too dangerous and we were denied. It's really a shame too because we had made such a good case. I told them about all the Crossfit affiliates made for parkour, showed them "Jump Westminster", showed them a list of other collegiate Parkour clubs, and stressed our goal to educate people about Parkour so they train smart and safe.

Anyway, we're thinking about just making a regular Rutgers club (not a SPORTS club). So there would be no benefits really, except we'd get to advertise ourselves at Student Involvement fairs and whatnot.

Any leaders have words of wisdom or similar experiences?

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Re: Rutgers University Parkour club turned down. What now?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:52:36 PM »
So is there a way to appeal the decision? I feel like a student-run committee has no business making decisions on liability (that's pretty much what "too dangerous" is) when they prooobably have no knowledge nor involvement on that matter.

What other "athletic" clubs currently exist on campus? If there is a Rugby or even an Ultimate Frisbee club on campus, there is no way they can justify those and not a parkour club. I believe it's Rafe who did a study showing parkour had the lowest number of injuries per thousand hours. The data was recorded by a large org that works with a lot of people... PK Horizons maybe.

Problem is, even if there is an appeal process, the committee probably has no structure to follow like the judicial system. They'll make the decision just on what they "feel."

Some stuff to look at
http://isuparkour.blogspot.com/2008/07/its-not-as-dangerous-as-you-think.html
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,17416.0.html
http://www.parkourvisions.org/resources/parkour-info-packet.pdf

So yea, check out if there's an appeal process or way to resubmit and get back to us. Don't give up though! Also, always be as considerate when dealing with anybody, though it may be frustrating. Did you meet with anybody personally or just drop a form off somewhere?
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Mr.WWII

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Do what you can't, Parkour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 05:30:14 PM »
Oh we had personal meetings. A very long and informative one with the Club Director of the University and he loved it. And believe me, I drove the fact that they have a Rugby club, hockey, copeira, gymnastics, etc to the ground. All he could say was that "well, Rugby has official rules and is a well accepted sport so we know what the risks are, and with parkour there's no rules or regulations so we don't know what you'd be doing." And I don't really know who turned it down for sure. Clubs have to go through a few committees to be approved here, perhaps it wasn't the student committee that turned it down. And there is no appeal, the director told us right from the start that decisions are final and there is no way to appeal them.

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:45:49 AM »
 I've been thinking about a way to get around making a whole new club just to be able to plan events on campus. We have a system for restarting organizations that aren't active. I was thinking about restarting our freestyle martial arts club. (I have book on martial arts that says parkour is a martial art I disagree but...)

I guess what I'm trying to say is there anything like that you could do. Try to back door the system. Or could you start from scratch and try again? Use what didn't go right as a reference to get better.   

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »
(I have book on martial arts that says parkour is a martial art I disagree but...)
Yea definitely not. Defense was a point of Georges H├ębert but I don't know anybody that includes that as an idea of parkour.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there anything like that you could do. Try to back door the system. Or could you start from scratch and try again? Use what didn't go right as a reference to get better.   
This would be my idea as well. Either back door or can you submit a new application as something slightly different?

You could try to go as a "parkour conditioning club" or "body-weight exercising club." Set it up in a way that any of the so-called "dangerous activities" would not be included in the clubs function. You'll pretty much do them unofficially though, not under the name of the club. (Don't do this elusively though. I think being "sneaky" about it will only hurt your cause, especially if they catch you on it. Be serious in whatever you choose, but you can personally use it to organize a parkour group, if you know what I mean.)
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Yixin (pronounced ee-shin)

• Patas
  • I am Yli
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 11:08:01 AM »
So here at Rutgers University we were in the process of making an official sports club for Parkour. With this we would have gotten our own training time in the gymnastics gym and Olympic weightlifting room, as well as funding to go on trips to Jams. It was all set in place, our board meeting went well and the Sports Club director was fascinated by our idea, but alas, the final say of the student run sports club committee deemed that the club was too dangerous and we were denied. It's really a shame too because we had made such a good case. I told them about all the Crossfit affiliates made for parkour, showed them "Jump Westminster", showed them a list of other collegiate Parkour clubs, and stressed our goal to educate people about Parkour so they train smart and safe.

Anyway, we're thinking about just making a regular Rutgers club (not a SPORTS club). So there would be no benefits really, except we'd get to advertise ourselves at Student Involvement fairs and whatnot.

Any leaders have words of wisdom or similar experiences?

I ran into the same problem regarding the University of Maryland club regarding excessive risk and insurance issues. It's not entirely necessary to have an official, school recognized club if your own internal organization can handle day-to-day affairs just fine.
"Madness.  (Sparta, etc.)"-Graham Hughes

Offline OPSLORUNNER

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »
I found that when i was trying to convince the YMCA upper management to let me teach freerunning/parkour classes they realy didn't get what we do. They thought it was all about trespassing on roofs and jumping off for no good reason. I eventualy explained that it was a cross between the self control and dicipline of acrobatics and the freedom of envirnment of snow or skateboarding. Also that the true leaders of this disipline gain express permission for stunt areas and exercises extreeme caution when performing and training for big stunts, but the vast majority of training is low to ground or gym time. Unfortunately newcomers to the sport tend to get badly injured or in trouble with the law unless they have access to good mentorship programs.

Try it from that angle and it might fly just downplay the daily outdoor aspect. What they don't know only hurts us. Train hard and good luck.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:32:49 AM by Alec Furtado »
FREERUNNING TILL OLD AGE

Offline Kyle Moore

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 10:49:50 AM »
I am part of a group of traceurs in Norfolk, VA and we've been trying to get official status as a sports club by our school, Old Dominion University. We were denied and further banned from practice on campus. The main reasons they used were the same, too dangerous and legal liability was too great. We know that it was the administrators in charge of determining risk and liability in school activities that shut us down and are planning to have a meeting with them to determine what exactly the problem is.

They also mentioned that they could not find any officially recognized college parkour sports clubs as examples. VTParkour is the closest match to what we're trying to do, but they're just a student organization, not a sports club. If you could send me the list of collegic parkour clubs that you used, it would benefit us in our campaign to create an officially recognized school club for parkour in our area.

We are also looking into recognition by the city as a community organization, instead of through the school. Perhaps that is an avenue that you could explore in your area as well. Best of luck and keep on running.