Author Topic: Starting a parkour club at highschool.  (Read 9013 times)

Offline Brandon Entric

• Guenons
  • Chaparral Parkour
    • View Profile
Starting a parkour club at highschool.
« on: March 02, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »
Soon, a small group of friends and fellow traceurs have an appointment with our principal to talk about starting the parkour club, parkour in general, and permission to use certain parts of the school (All ground floor), and asking for permission to use the wrestling room. Parkour is generally not approved here, and we've been kicked off quite a few times for being a liability issue. (Yeah, I know that the school's first and foremost priority is our safety.) I just wanted to ask what we should talk about during our meeting. I have a general idea of what to talk about, but I'm still not entirely sure. Any ideas? :o

Offline Kyle Relliford

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a parkour club at highschool.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:24:02 PM »
Lucky thing I saw this post. I've established a parkour club at my old school and am about to establish one at my current school.  Like you said, their main concern is safety. This is the one thing that you have to continuously bring up. Let them know that what your doing is mo worse than football, cheerleading, etc. Especially when your working on only the basic things. What I did was make it so that anyone who joined had to sign and gave their parents sign a liability release form to please the school. If there's any other information that you would like just let me know.

Offline Brandon Entric

• Guenons
  • Chaparral Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »
Actually, we do already have a Waiver and Release form ready to show our principal, just want to know if there's anything more that we could talk about on the off chance that he starts to dip into the "no parkour" end.

Offline Kyle Relliford

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:13:34 AM »
I used this when I gave my little presentation and I think it really helped.

Hello, all. Many of you in high school are trying to start parkour clubs. This is very cool but be aware that you will have challenges especially with regard to the liability piece.

I am trying to establish a parkour club at the school where I teach and have just started the process. I have submitted a constitution draft to our activities director and haven't yet heard back. However I will keep you updated on the process and how things go.

Here is the draft I submitted... feel free to use this and adapt it as necessary for your own school's policies. As the process goes along for me I will update this thread and make changes to the draft, etc. Hopefully this will serve as a guide for those in HS trying to start clubs.

Hope it helps! Here is the draft:

Advisor: Alissa Bratz

Purpose: The purpose of the MHS Parkour Club is to provide organized, safe parkour training for MHS students, to promote the practice of parkour, and to encourage the values of pakour: safety, responsibility, cooperation, mindfulness, citizenship, respect, healthy living, usefulness, and community.

Objectives: safe, progressive parkour training, participation at school functions in an exhibition capacity as needed, the encouragement of safe and mindful practice of parkour, and the general positive representation of parkour within the community. Activities will include weekly training sessions and community service (Leave No Trace), and may also include film and video screenings, travel to other communities for training and other opportunities, as well as hosting visiting groups for training and parkour “jams.”

Parkour has cross-disciplinary applications to French, anatomy/physiology, health, physical education, FACE/nutrition, psychology, and other subjects. Parkour is a non-competitive physical discipline that instills self-confidence, respect, responsibility, community, cooperation, physical fitness, and perseverance.

The MHS Parkour Club will charge dues at the rate of $5 per year. This will cover the cost of general supplies such as printing/flyers, snacks, etc. The MHS Parkour Club may engage in fundraising activities as needed for such activities as travel, hosting jams, creating t-shirts, etc. Fundraising activities will be conducted per district and building policy. Dues are non-refundable.

The MHS Parkour Club will elect officers from among its student members. Officer positions include: president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer. Duties are described below:

President: Leads meetings, positively represents parkour within the community, can make an executive decision in the event of a tie vote. Must attend all meetings and training sessions (maximum of 2 absences allowed per year).

Vice President: Assists the president with his/her duties, fulfills the president’s duties in the event the president is absent. Must attend all meetings and training sessions (maximum of 2 absences allowed per year).

Secretary: Maintains meeting agendas and minutes. Distributes agendas and minutes to membership in a timely fashion. Maintains membership contact/email list and is responsible for managing all communication between officers, advisor, and general membership as needed. Updates weekly training program and distributes to all members. Must attend all meetings and training sessions (maximum of 2 absences allowed per year).

Treasurer: Maintains accurate and up-to-date records of all club finances and transactions. Must attend all meetings and training sessions (maximum of 2 absences allowed per year).

Attendance training, and other policies:

For general membership, a maximum of 4 absences per year are allowed. Extenuating circumstances must be discussed with the advisor. For officers, 2 absences per year are allowed.

Official club training sessions will be held on at least a once-per-week basis. These weekly sessions are considered “club-sanctioned” practices. The club is not liable for training that occurs beyond these sanctioned training sessions.

Members are expected to maintain good academic standing, good school attendance, and to behave in a manner becoming to the discipline of parkour at all times.

Members are expected to show respect to other members of the community using the spaces in which we train, respect to law enforcement and security personnel, and respect for our fellow traceurs/traceuses, our bodies, and our training environments at all times.

Members are expected to abide by parkour’s “Leave No Trace” initiative by respecting public and private property, maintaining a clean and orderly training environment, and being respectful of architecture and landscaping elements. The MHS Parkour Club will engage in two “Leave No Trace” events per year, involving cleaning up litter, repainting surfaces, general groundskeeping, etc. Specific Leave No Trace activities will be decided upon by the club in conjunction with school maintenance staff and/or the City as needed. Attendance at and participation in both Leave No Trace events is mandatory for all members.

In addition to the above policies, members of the club are subject to the rules in the Athletic and Activities Code.
(Muse_on_fire)

Of course I changed it around to fit my school and club needs.

In addition, you can always talk about how it gives people something to do that will help them kern off the streets. Or how it promotes a healthy lifestyle and keeps people in shape.

Offline Brandon Entric

• Guenons
  • Chaparral Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:11:06 AM »
Haha, thanks. I'll use that when we write up that constitution draft ;)

We talked to our principal, and he was already with us from the get go. From the way he was talking, he seemed to know what parkour was, and that it wasn't actually all jumping off rooftops and stuff.
So, now the fight is us + principal versus the insurance agency and the district. Fun stuff.

Offline Michael Grauer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:26:39 AM »
I'm trying to start a club too but our principle is concerned about traceurs trespassing, any ideas?

Offline aerosfcity

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Demo.
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Connections
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 09:23:31 AM »
What Kyle also failed mention is that he is using a well established community leader and School teacher as his "advisor" for the club.

This is why they will succeed.  Get good partners or support and it will make things much easier.  Find a outdoor community leader in good standing or convince a teacher at your school to get excited about parkour and youre in like flynn.

Offline Brandon Entric

• Guenons
  • Chaparral Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:47:49 PM »
I'm trying to start a club too but our principle is concerned about traceurs trespassing, any ideas?

You should probably tell your principle that your club does NOT condone trespassing. Perhaps you could tell them you'll try to work with them and the local police to make sure traceurs don't trespass, and penalize them as necessary or some sort. I'm sure people who have currently established clubs could help you more with this. (We're establishing ours in August, since we didn't have time last year.)

Offline Xayshu

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 06:25:54 AM »
Thanks for the tips and tricks here. Although our teachers are more worried that we will spend all the time on training and will start contacting au.edusson.com to pay for essay writing in Australia. Therefore, in addition to security, it is necessary to raise the issue of student performance. Of course, I thought it would be harder than gathering an elective for football, but I didn?t imagine the degree of prejudice I?ll face.

Offline BeJimmieNip

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Starting a parkour club at highschool
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 11:10:55 AM »
So JoeCanada and I have been talking for a few years now about starting an inverts club between our two cities. Orginally, the issue was getting enough people interested.

I think I have enough people to round up to start something, and have even had someone offer to help organize this.

All that being said, I thought this would be a good place to start a thread about starting invert clubs.

Those of you who are part of one, and/ or have organized one, what process would you recommend we go through to do this, and what tips and pointers would you give?

Thanks.