Author Topic: People ruining training..  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Ratchetrockon

• Guenons
    • View Profile
People ruining training..
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:40:55 AM »
 >:(

I've been doing Parkour for about a year and a half now. I'm one of the few people at my High School that does it and Parkour is fairly new in Japan (Live at a military base).
Well today I was training my tic-tacs and climb-ups on a 9 foot wall near the school gym when a group of people walked by and I could tell they were talking bad about the art. They did a bad imitation of me(pretending they were spider-man) and said "Haha Parkourshit"... Now these people are the same people who harass my friends who also train Parkour.

I know this isn't really a big deal but this usually spoils my training and I stop because of lack of confidence..

Does this happen to you guys? Do you ignore them?

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
Re: People ruining training..
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:23:57 AM »
Probably a much better idea is to ask here, "Who wasn't made fun of for SOMETHING in High School?"  You'll not get a single response, I'd imagine.  People in high school use harassment as a way to fit in with their own social group, make themselves feel important, and simply divert attention from their own sense of social unease.  Don't take it to heart!  It's going to happen regardless if you practice parkour, play chess, do a martial art, play an instrument, or do anything that whoever isn't doing the same thing can ostracize you for.  Even jocks get made fun of by the goth kids. :)  "Stupid Meat-heads probably can't even read...much less appreciate the works of Anne Rice."  :)  You know what I'm saying, and I know that it sucks to be made fun of, but strive on with diligence.

I still get called "Karate guy" at work sometimes, because I kick-boxed for a long time (albeit, I have asked most of them if they'd like to try their luck in a ring...because I can make that happen.)  You have to just let it go.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Justin

• Guenons
  • Justin Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:01:27 AM »
yeah I'd reccomend just ignoring it to the best of your ability, unless they are following you around and harrassing you then you should take legal action hahaha, but that doesnt sound like the case

Ive had people scream "HARDCORE PARKOUR!" at me all the time just for practicing simple block rolls

I embrace that kind of audience, however if someone was harrasing me like in your situation I would just ignore it and move on.
Newark, Delaware

"When you have the ability, the movement will become beautiful."

Offline Michael Mayer

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:33:03 PM »
I have to been in your situation. They do make you want to stop training, because you care what others think of you. I have been there. I used to try to be the "cool guy" in high school. I did whatever I needed to be popular. Then I went to college and found parkour. I have realized that I do this for me. I don't do it to look cool or to show off, I simply do it to help myself grow. You have to realize that the reason your training is far more important than what others think. This is what helped me overcome this.

Offline Fecteau

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Damn straight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »
Probably a much better idea is to ask here, "Who wasn't made fun of for SOMETHING in High School?"  You'll not get a single response, I'd imagine.  People in high school use harassment as a way to fit in with their own social group, make themselves feel important, and simply divert attention from their own sense of social unease.  Don't take it to heart!  It's going to happen regardless if you practice parkour, play chess, do a martial art, play an instrument, or do anything that whoever isn't doing the same thing can ostracize you for.  Even jocks get made fun of by the goth kids. :)  "Stupid Meat-heads probably can't even read...much less appreciate the works of Anne Rice."  :)  You know what I'm saying, and I know that it sucks to be made fun of, but strive on with diligence.

I still get called "Karate guy" at work sometimes, because I kick-boxed for a long time (albeit, I have asked most of them if they'd like to try their luck in a ring...because I can make that happen.)  You have to just let it go.
Joe Brock has spoken.
This thread has ended.
Amen, go in peace.
Fecteau, you are the first person I will turn to when I break up with Micah, haha
;)
Fect, you get a gold star for the day.

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:24:02 AM »
Shouldn't care what people think or say regardless of what you're doing.

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:45:52 AM »
Then quit. If it bothers you that much, then just stop training.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

ranger149

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:45:47 AM »
Just ignore them, maybe even make fun of it with them jokingly? (probably not) It's best just to ignore them and to remember that your doing what they can't.  Take pride in that. I remember before (a while ago) this kids were making fun of us and pretending to try it. It pissed my friend and I off so we followed them to, through, and out of walmart using parkour. We made sure they saw us every few glances. It scared the **** out of them. Never said anything again.

Offline Ratchetrockon

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 12:27:03 PM »
I got over it now  ;)...I was just mad at the moment. A little bit of training reminded myself why I love and Do parkour.

I won't quit parkour because some people hate it, I'll just have to suck it up.

But thank you for the advice.