Author Topic: Smoking and Parkour?  (Read 12564 times)

Offline nuclearapplepie

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Smoking and Parkour?
« on: February 25, 2011, 11:09:19 AM »
Well im starting parkour and i occasionally smoke. I mean occasionally because i kinda decided to quit 4 months ago, but sometimes life lets me down and i lit one up. I think ive had like 3 in the last 4 months(thats count one for today). It was a Camel, burns quick, and i didnt feel any worse afterward. Stamina is my top strength, and i can run pretty well, plus i run like every other day always, and practice in between. But im kinda wondering: Does smoking has any serious effect on parkour performance, like bones strength and muscles and stuff like that.
Is there any former smoker in here who has became really good that could share their experiences? Thanks

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
Re: Smoking and Parkour?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 11:23:58 AM »
If you "quit" but still light up, no matter the occasion, then you didn't quit.

I'm sure it doesn't need to be reiterated, because the negative physiological effects of smoking are already stated enough. You already know what it does. Seeing as everyone "should" know those effects, smoking becomes purely a personal lifestyle choice.

Your question can't really be quantified because I still don't know what constitutes as "good" at parkour so I'm sure it'd be difficult for a response.

What are you really asking for? Do you really want to know about how smoking affects physical fitness (which I think you already know) or are you looking for reassurance for a bad habit?

Offline nuclearapplepie

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »
If you "quit" but still light up, no matter the occasion, then you didn't quit.

I'm sure it doesn't need to be reiterated, because the negative physiological effects of smoking are already stated enough. You already know what it does. Seeing as everyone "should" know those effects, smoking becomes purely a personal lifestyle choice.

Your question can't really be quantified because I still don't know what constitutes as "good" at parkour so I'm sure it'd be difficult for a response.

What are you really asking for? Do you really want to know about how smoking affects physical fitness (which I think you already know) or are you looking for reassurance for a bad habit?
youre probably right but it just so hard to quit, especially when im really busy it just feel so stress out to the point of intense physical activity doesnt help the stress. It just led to injuries and bad technique in my case. I really enjoy running around and stuff but lighting up it feels like hitting the spot

Offline Mr.WWII

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Do what you can't, Parkour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:38:58 AM »
Hey man we all know it's hard, but people do it. So keep going at it and never give up. If they can do it why can't you?!

Offline JD.

• Patas
  • Be the change
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:41:19 AM »
If you smoke 3 times every 4 months it really isn't not going to effect you. ie I smoke cigars on special occasions. It's when you smoke a pack a day/week that it really builds up.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »
Well im starting parkour and i occasionally smoke. I mean occasionally because i kinda decided to quit 4 months ago, but sometimes life lets me down and i lit one up. I think ive had like 3 in the last 4 months(thats count one for today). It was a Camel, burns quick, and i didnt feel any worse afterward. Stamina is my top strength, and i can run pretty well, plus i run like every other day always, and practice in between. But im kinda wondering: Does smoking has any serious effect on parkour performance, like bones strength and muscles and stuff like that.
Is there any former smoker in here who has became really good that could share their experiences? Thanks

yes

Nicotine is the most addictive substance on the planet, you would do well to avoid it and smoke.

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »
If you smoke 3 times every 4 months it really isn't not going to effect you. ie I smoke cigars on special occasions. It's when you smoke a pack a day/week that it really builds up.

This exactly. One cigarette a month isn't really going to affect you at all. It's when you get to a pack a day that you really notice the effect to your stamina (spoken from experience).

Although, I have a friend who smokes a pack of Newports per day and still runs 5 miles every day.

Offline nuclearapplepie

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 11:52:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply though just making sure im not killing myself through the last 3 months. But i want to quit cold turkey really do!! I used to smoke like a pack in 3 days when i start college. When i started running again it took me a whole damn month to be able to pull of a mile. Damn it just sucks so bad.
I just keep telling myself im trying but it just sneak up on me

Offline nuclearapplepie

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 11:53:22 AM »
This exactly. One cigarette a month isn't really going to affect you at all. It's when you get to a pack a day that you really notice the effect to your stamina (spoken from experience).

Although, I have a friend who smokes a pack of Newports per day and still runs 5 miles every day.
haha lol i heard cases like that those people have an amazing lung

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 12:07:33 PM »

Sorry, that doesn't hold up to light.  Did you not just read what I said?

Nicotine is the most addictive substance on the planet.  Cocaine, heroin, and every other drug you could possibly think of is less addicting than nicotine.  It is easier to quit these other drugs than it is to quit nicotine.

Any cigarette you have after you quit smoking, whether it be days, or months, or years, sometimes even decades after you quit will reignite the addiction process all over again.  You're only encouraging your body to want more by smoking occasionally, and making it much much easier for you to fall prey to the addiction cycle.  There's no such thing as moderation for addictive substances, because they're addictive which by its very nature performs in a positive feedback loop fashion.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 12:13:15 PM »
Well, the idea that one cig doesn't hurt is also false. One cig burns away cillia in your lungs that function to transport mucous and other things and help act as part of a filtration system.

Cigs also do'nt relieve stress - do you feel less stress 1/2 hour later? Did the cig actually make your life better in some way?

I smoked for 20 years, quit for 6, in that time I got a 2nd' degree black belt, that doesn't make smoking any less harmful, or any less stupid.

There is no benefit to smoking a cig. It smells bad, tastes bad, and is bad for you. Would you smoke crack once in a while?
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Hopscotch

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »
I understand the sentiments, but when did a parkour forum become about peer pressure? This is a personal choice, just like all other forms of self-improvement. The end decision is up to the individual.

I think you shouldn't smoke, but I don't want you to care what I think. If you're going to quit, do it for you.
10 push ups

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »
So telling someone reasons not to smoke is peer pressure? In that case, what DOESN'T qualify as peer pressure - don't we all tell each other to train and be safe? Maybe we should stop that too??
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 12:55:25 PM »
Sorry, that doesn't hold up to light.  Did you not just read what I said?

Nicotine is the most addictive substance on the planet.  Cocaine, heroin, and every other drug you could possibly think of is less addicting than nicotine.  It is easier to quit these other drugs than it is to quit nicotine.

Any cigarette you have after you quit smoking, whether it be days, or months, or years, sometimes even decades after you quit will reignite the addiction process all over again.  You're only encouraging your body to want more by smoking occasionally, and making it much much easier for you to fall prey to the addiction cycle.  There's no such thing as moderation for addictive substances, because they're addictive which by its very nature performs in a positive feedback loop fashion.

Not everyone gets addicted to substances. I know plenty of people who have smoked more than one cigarette on several occasions, but have no need to smoke another one, and desire to go out and buy a pack. They are the lucky ones.

While a single cigarette is damaging, I still maintain that one a month will not have any noticeable effect on training.

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 01:11:23 PM »
Not everyone gets addicted to substances. I know plenty of people who have smoked more than one cigarette on several occasions, but have no need to smoke another one, and desire to go out and buy a pack. They are the lucky ones.

I doubt this. Even if it is true, though, it still doesn't matter. Exceptions are exceptions and when it's in regard to something that is bad for you, it's best to pretend that exceptions do not exist in order to avoid a bad decision.

Offline Hopscotch

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 01:39:16 PM »
So telling someone reasons not to smoke is peer pressure? In that case, what DOESN'T qualify as peer pressure - don't we all tell each other to train and be safe? Maybe we should stop that too??

I'm saying there's a difference between pointing out negative side effects and actively attacking someone for a decision you don't agree with. It's reminiscent of the "roof police" thing. The way you phrased the last question would make me sound awfully dumb if I said "yes," but I do have to question the merit of any action solely for the sake of another person. If he did quit smoking now because a bunch of people bullied him into it, what would be the point? Would he have learned anything from it? It wouldn't benefit him as much as if he'd done it alone, and it certainly wouldn't benefit you.

OP, if you need motivation from your peers to quit smoking, I would question why you're quitting in the first place. If your reasons aren't good enough to do it alone, why bother?

If he's old enough to smoke, he's old enough to take responsibility for his actions. If he weren't able to do that, I would hope he wouldn't be training parkour.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:41:21 PM by Hopscotch »
10 push ups

Offline Kimberly Heuer

• Patas
  • "Action Conquers Fear." -PNZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 01:41:08 PM »
Judging by the fact that the OP has admitted having a hard time quitting, it's a fair bet that he know nicotine is an addictive substance, an knows he's not an exception to that.
And it's been drilled into our heads since we were kids that smoking is awful for the lungs, whether you can feel it or not.

But the OP asked how it affects bones, strength, and muscles, and also experiences from other traceurs who are former smokers.
I hope I'm not coming off like a b*tch, but while I have never smoked I have a friend trying to quit, and I'd like to hear the answers...
Passivity is a lie, there is only movement.
Through movement, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain expression.
Through expression, my chains are broken.
Movement shall free me.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 02:10:03 PM »

While a single cigarette is damaging, I still maintain that one a month will not have any noticeable effect on training.

For the record I ignored the rest of the chemicals in cigarettes and just focused on nicotine.

There are genetic exceptions to the rule, there are always genetic exceptions to the rule, but they will be only immune to ONE drug's affects, not all addictive substances.  But this is a non-issue.

Even just one cigarette could trigger lung cancer.  It is largely unlikely, I believe the statistic is twenty cigarettes per one mutation.  There's also the rest of the chemicals, and the damaging of the cilia.  Cigarette companies are selling you an addictive way to kill yourself.  Fascinating, isn't it?

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
  • "Practice makes perfect"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 02:44:27 PM »
I'm all for buying and selling useless things, but when it comes to smoking...

It wouldn't matter if it was only self-destructive. You smoke, you hurt yourself... End of story.
But no. It's not like that.

What I hate about smoking is the effects it has on people around the smokers.

"Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemical compounds. More than 60 of these are known or suspected to cause cancer."

"Secondhand smoke can cause harm in many ways. In the United States alone, each year it is responsible for:

* An estimated 46,000 deaths from heart disease in non-smokers who live with smokers
    * About 3,400 lung cancer deaths in non-smoking adults
    * Other breathing problems in non-smokers, including coughing, mucus, chest discomfort, and reduced lung function
    * 50,000 to 300,000 lung infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age, which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations annually
    * Increases in the number and severity of asthma attacks in about 200,000 to 1 million children who have asthma
    * More than 750,000 middle ear infections in children
    * Pregnant women exposed to secondhand smoke are also at increased risk of having low birth- weight babies."

So, basically, if you smoke around other people, you're being a dick.

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 03:48:39 PM »
Message Brett Robert from SFPK if you're serious about quitting. He quit cold turkey after a long time smoking.
I eat a lot of food.