Author Topic: Smoking and Parkour?  (Read 10765 times)

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
Re: Smoking and Parkour?
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 04:15:41 PM »
As far as I know, smoking doesn't affect your muscles negatively. It's just terrible for your overall health in general. I see that everyone covered the whole, " It's bad for you, you should stop. " Kinda thing, but as long as you're not smoking before, during, or after your sessions; you should be fine.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 07:53:57 AM »
Micah., muscles need oxygen right?
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 07:57:58 AM »
Hopscocth - you are making an extreme point that bears very little weight in reality. You can argue it logically, but it doesn't really add up to a lot in the real world.

Studies have shown that people who join a "quitting group" "dieting group", "marathon training group" are statistically more successful because they are part of a group and because they have made their goal a public declaration (and other reasons).

Of course in the end the only person OP is quitting for is OP.

I also quit "cold turkey" ad am happy to help any person who wants to quit. m2@americanparkour.com
Be Useful.

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »
Studies have shown that people who join a "quitting group" "dieting group", "marathon training group" are statistically more successful because they are part of a group and because they have made their goal a public declaration (and other reasons).

While groups can be beneficial, making goals a public declaration actually makes you less likely to achieve them.

Also, some people may find this to be a good resource for quitting. The hardest part (for me anyways) is just hanging out with people who smoke.

Offline Joseph Landholt

• Guenons
  • Name changed to my real surname.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 09:15:04 AM »
I'm all for buying and selling useless things, but when it comes to smoking...

It wouldn't matter if it was only self-destructive. You smoke, you hurt yourself... End of story.
But no. It's not like that.

What I hate about smoking is the effects it has on people around the smokers.

"Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemical compounds. More than 60 of these are known or suspected to cause cancer."

"Secondhand smoke can cause harm in many ways. In the United States alone, each year it is responsible for:

* An estimated 46,000 deaths from heart disease in non-smokers who live with smokers
    * About 3,400 lung cancer deaths in non-smoking adults
    * Other breathing problems in non-smokers, including coughing, mucus, chest discomfort, and reduced lung function
    * 50,000 to 300,000 lung infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age, which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations annually
    * Increases in the number and severity of asthma attacks in about 200,000 to 1 million children who have asthma
    * More than 750,000 middle ear infections in children
    * Pregnant women exposed to secondhand smoke are also at increased risk of having low birth- weight babies."

So, basically, if you smoke around other people, you're being a dick.

I'm sorry, but could you post a source for that? In my High School chemistry book it talked about Secondhand smoke, and said that SS has no negative effects on the body whatsoever, it's too diluted.

I'm open to your quote being correct, I'm just saying what I read in my Chemistry course last year. I think that book was written in like the 90s, so some new study may have brought what you posted to light.
Parkour + Free Running = Free Parking :D

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »

I'm sorry, but could you post a source for that? In my High School chemistry book it talked about Secondhand smoke, and said that SS has no negative effects on the body whatsoever, it's too diluted.

I'm open to your quote being correct, I'm just saying what I read in my Chemistry course last year. I think that book was written in like the 90s, so some new study may have brought what you posted to light.

Your book was stupid.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/ETS

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 10:41:11 AM »
Klaymen,
thanks for finding an argument that supports the opposite of mine, I won't bother researching and posting studies that support it.

I'm sure you've done OP a world of good.

Be Useful.

Offline nuclearapplepie

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys
problem is; i did everything i thought i could to quit, but there i was, sitting there studying for my test and then i see this person light up, i was like "Why the hell not?" so i asked him for a spare one. It was bad week really, and i dont want to go into details. For non-smoker, they might think that it is easy to quit; i used to think that way to. And i thought i was able to quit completely, but I when I lit up I had no idea why i did that.
So i guess my question is: How can i quit?
Im 19 now, and i smoke ever since i was 16(high school sophomore), so that was basically 2 whole years of smoking whenever possible and another probably 6 or 7 months of a pack every 3 days. I played sports in high school(funny that i wasnt supposed to smoke, but i did anyway), so my health wasn't totally all bad, but i think that i was injured once or twice probably due to cigarrettes side effects

Offline Ciber Ninja

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »
As far as I know, its pretty hard to do Parkour when you have Cancer.

Offline NMPK

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 11:26:37 AM »
Klaymen,
thanks for finding an argument that supports the opposite of mine, I won't bother researching and posting studies that support it.

I lold.

OP, how do you quit? Man there's no tried and true answer to that, wish there was. Have you tried electric cigarettes? Nicotine gum/patches? Various kinds of positive negative reinforcement? This isn't really the forum for it but there are resources on the web that'll give you more in depth answers. What worked for me was getting my girlfriend to yell at me any time I thought about a cig, which ended up being a lot haha. Honestly the biggest trick is to never quit quitting, if you mess up and have one cigarette don't let that make you give up and go oh well guess I'm just a smoker, get right back on the horse. Good luck man.

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
I can name one positive of smoking. According to a study in one of my text books you're less likely to get Alzheimer's. But then when I looked up the study it said was because most of them don't get that far. That wasn't meant to be in bad taste I promise and I'm sorry if it offended anyone but I think everyone should try and quit smoking. It's dangerous in any amount and one every once in a while can very quickly turn into one a day and then then eventually more. I've seen it happen. Good Luck whoever is trying. And congrats those that did.     

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2011, 12:18:54 PM »
Klaymen,

I agreed with support groups being beneficial. I even linked to a community dedicated to helping people quit smoking. If I see something that I believe to be incorrect, I am going to say something. You probably just think that I am trying to go against everything you say because I have some sort of grudge, but that is not the case. I don't care about who is right, just what is right.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2011, 01:36:26 PM »
Smoking sucks.  Being addicted to anything sucks.

Quit now.  Today.  Don't smoke, just today.  You won't regret it tomorrow.  Build a support group of non-smokers and other people who have quit and care about you quitting.

Two months after I started doing parkour, I quit smoking.  For 15 years I'd been a pack-a-day smoker.  May will be three years of not smoking.  Lots of my friends, even my roommate, smoke and usually it just bums me out.  Maybe three or four times I've really wanted to smoke, when it was late at night and we were all having fun, then everyone goes outside to smoke and I've felt left out.  Really though... it's the company and the conversation I wanted and I don't have to smoke to hang out with my friends.  I have never once regretted becoming a non-smoker.

Not smoking is awesome.  I'm unencumbered by the burdens of any addiction.  I'm free to go and do whatever I want, without being a slave to any substance.  The only limits are what I can and cannot do.  Freedom is awesome.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2011, 02:06:21 PM »
really shouldnt smoke tobacco to be honest, i limit tobacco smoke as much as possible.

it just is so acidic and takes such a toll on your lungs and throat. you get a lot of mucus build up as well because its generally something you do more often than not. even if its only a few a day, it still causes problems.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2011, 05:35:10 PM »
Smoking anything is bad for your lungs and throat.

Offline EpicMovement

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2011, 05:54:55 PM »
Although, I have a friend who smokes a pack of Newports per day and still runs 5 miles every day.

I wasn't aware I knew you.  :-Sarcasm

Offline Nick Radanovic

• I'm a champ.
  • Guenons
  • Remember Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
Smoking anything is bad for your lungs and throat.

This.

My advice would be to try to ease off the smoking completely. There isn't much help I can bring here because I don't smoke and I never will.

10 per post member.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 09:20:31 PM »
Everything Brett said for starters.

Then, you ask "How can I quit" - it is YOU who asked for a cig - DON'T. It is that simple - anything else you add to it is extra.

The only way to quit is to not smoke.

Hard? How hard can it be to NOT do something - you are not addicted if you have one a week - the addiction cycle (short term, practical purposes) of nicotine is about 50 minutes.

Again, the only answer for you is do not smoke. You are in control, you make the decision.

Be Useful.

Offline MedvisP

• Mangabey
  • Cloudless every day you fall upon my waking eyes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2011, 10:50:41 PM »
Bob Newhart lays it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLMTvxOaeE

Can be applied to everything.
Power, balance, freedom.
My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/MedvisP

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »
Haha, I realize it may seem like that's what I am saying. I realize that to the person who has a problem it doesn't seem that easy, or sometimes isn't. However that doesn't change the simple fact that unless that person changes, there will be no change. With smoking, the first step is to realize that it is a choice and to realize who is in charge, with heavy smokers, the cigs are who is in charge, and hopefully the smoker wants to quit badly enough to take that charge back. I got pissed off enough that I decided I wanted to be in charge, not a small piece of paper and tobacco.
Be Useful.