Author Topic: Helping train newbies.. Need help!  (Read 3420 times)

ranger149

Helping train newbies.. Need help!
« on: February 24, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »
Tomorrow My group "Legend" Is getting together to help introduce people to Parkour and Free running. There are going to be 3 members there, 2 friends and I. This is our first time. I have invited numerous amounts of people who take interest in it, and quite a few people are attending. I need pointers on how to teach them, and/or how to interest them into it. Thanks for anyone and everyone's Support!

Offline Nick Radanovic

• I'm a champ.
  • Guenons
  • Remember Level 8
    • View Profile
Re: Helping train newbies.. Need help!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Just start with the basics. Teach them how to land and roll properly so they avoid injury. Don't start busting out huge moves and trying to teach them that stuff. If they are intreated in training more then maybe next time have them come out to a session with the group for further training. Hope this helps!

10 per post member.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:53:05 PM »
Hey Kyle, glad to hear that your group is making a solid effort to spread parkour! Here are a few pointers:

As Nick said, start with the basics. Landings, precisions, and rolls are key. You don't want to, however, bore them with drilling the most basic movements of parkour. Give them a taste of basic vaults (i.e. safety, monkey/kong, lazy, thief, turn, speed)! That way, they'll not only be learning the safe parts of parkour, but they'll also still be navigating around obstacles, which is definitely something that they will be interested in. I would also recommend leading them in a little round of conditioning (great way to warm up!); maybe a 5-10 minute jog, and lots of core and upper body work. Get creative with the work so that it isn't just any old workout! If you need suggestions for other sessions (I'm guessing you won't have time by tomorrow to ask and receive pointers from me), send me a PM and I'll give you some specific workouts/exercises that I like.

One key thing that I would stress is doing everything at ground level, and emphasizing the fact that you do not need to do stunts at a large height to look cool. Ask for suggestions or requests from them for things to teach, maybe one of them has seen something in a video that they want to learn. Try to gear the lessons to the individuals, and really pay attention to them. Keep them safe, and always have helpers watching out for (potential) safety issues.

That's all I have for now. Like I said above, don't hesitate to send me a Personal Message, or get into touch with any member of the Forum Staff, a lot of them are more experienced and knowledgable in teaching than I. Good luck and have fun with it! :)

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 06:08:35 AM »
Kyle,

Jordan gave some very good advice. You want to go real slow. Remember, you're carrying some responsibility on your shoulders now! You have to make sure they stay safe, injury free, and that they get the right impression of this awesome art we all practice.

As Jordan said, take it slow, work on the basics. For starters, show them something they're already capable of doing (like a medium range precision jump) but make sure they control it, before they move onto something more difficult. By "control", I mean their balance is perfect, their landing is soft, they are landing on the balls of their feet, etc. Be a perfectionist with the basics! Control should be your goal.

And conditioning is very important. You'd be surprised how many people start Parkour not only because it "looks cool" but because they are looking for a "fun way to get in shape". Make sure you give them that! Challenge their fitness level! Make them walk away from that day knowing they got a sweet workout. If you find out they are sore the next day, you did your job. If you need ideas for these conditioning workouts, let me know. I'd be happy to supply you some great stuff.

Any questions at all, please let us know!

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 03:11:02 PM »
Awesome pointers guys!

Adam, feel free to just post up some of your conditioning workouts. Are they group oriented or mostly individual? To what degree of importance would you say you place on having fun with the group vs individual effort and progression?
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »
Awesome pointers guys!

Adam, feel free to just post up some of your conditioning workouts. Are they group oriented or mostly individual? To what degree of importance would you say you place on having fun with the group vs individual effort and progression?

Alright, I'll expand, Alec! :)

I would say without doubt that the two are completely interchangeable and dependent. You need to be having fun to put really be motivated to put in the effort (especially in a group environment where everybody pushes each other), which results in progression. And if you don't put in the effort, it's not going to be fun, because you won't see progression and nobody likes wasting their time. So have tons of fun and use that positive energy to motivate your students to work harder and push it. Do those 5 reps and push just that little bit farther. That's where the reward comes from the day. You want your students leaving, knowing that they accomplished something. Whether they know it or not, people come to you to be pushed. Conditioning is the perfect, safe way to do that, and that's why it's basics.

Rather than posting individual videos, here's the entire Conditioning playlist from Urban Current.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UrbanCurrent#g/c/306CFF872DE196C9

Also, check out the "Respectful Training" videos that are the most recent uploads, as well as anything with "Seminar" or "Jam" in the title. There will be lots of group activities and things you can draw from and make your own!

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 06:06:15 PM »
The others have summed the basics up pretty well.

But one thing I really like to stress is making sure that your students are comfortable with what they're doing! You don't want to them continue doing something that hurts, or something that their really afraid of doing. Sure, teach them to get over their fears, but don't force them to do anything.

You want them to enjoy parkour. Ask every now and then if they're doing alright. Make sure no one is unhappy. You're trying to introduce them to parkour and get them interested. Once they're really into it, then you can start pushing them a little more.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:11:34 PM »
Well let me put it this way... the question was more if a person could do the same conditioning on their own? Or are they team oriented... say like a relay or carrying the another person?

Or maybe do you team people up and give them a set of things to complete (gauntlet/mini-gauntlet) in sequence as a team?
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

ranger149

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »
Wow Thanks guys! Unfortunately they all couldn't do it today, but they said they could for sure tomorrow. Thanks again for the tips, these are absolutely amazing tips.