Author Topic: Inspirational Quotes  (Read 10296 times)

Offline Kauri

• Patas
    • View Profile
Inspirational Quotes
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:33:34 PM »
What are your favorite quotes and why? This can be Parkour related or not, it doesen't really matter

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
       - Albert Einstein

Also...

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
       - Tyler Durden

I like both of these because they, for me, make me think about my life in a bigger way, I only have this one, I should make something of it
Zechariah 14:12
And the LORD will send a plague on all the nations that fought against Jerusalem. Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.

(Zombies)

Offline Ryan Frosten

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Inspirational Quotes
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:53:20 PM »
"That rush, that drug, that dope; Those pills, that crumb, that roach. Thinkin' I would never do that, not that drug."

"And trust me, it's not dope to be 25 and move back to your parents basement."

"Room spinnin' thinkin' he might've sipped just a little bit too much of that cough syrup, eyelids close shut, sat back in the chair clutchin' that cup. Girlfriend came and a couple hours later said his name, shook him but he never got up. He never got up, he never got up; We live on the cusp of death thinkin' that it won't be us."

All three are from the song Otherside by Macklemore

Why? That song has a deep personal meaning to me and is a big inspiration.

"So without imagination, you would just be doing everything society tells you, and... society's not always right." - Tim 'Livewire' Schieff

Why? I dunno, I like not being one of those kids that can be categorized easily.

Offline Adam C

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I jump over stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
"Sometimes I wonder if there really is a deeper meaning to life. The question eats at my psyche like a radioactive, glowing, dachshund that gnaws at the boot of it's master. And then I remember grilled cheese sandwiches, and my mind is at peace."
"Hi! I'm Mark Toorock from American Parkour. Today, we're going to be showing you parkour."

I will crush my mental blocks into a fine powder, and then I will construct a fabulous Zen garden.

Offline MedvisP

• Mangabey
  • Cloudless every day you fall upon my waking eyes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 03:40:32 PM »
"Your current safe boundaries were once unknown frontiers."
- One of the Tapp brothers

"Every infant lives in a bright garden where everything is sensed directly, without the interference of thought. The fall from grace happens to each of us when we start thinking and become namers and knowers. The birth of the mind is the death of the senses. As a child, all this would appear before your eyes and ears and touch as if for the first time. But now you’ve learned names and categories for everything. That’s good, that’s bad, that’s a table, that’s a chair, that’s a car, a house, a flower, dog, cat, chicken, man, woman, sunset, ocean, star…you’ve become bored with things because they only exist as names to you. The dry concepts of the mind obscure your vision."
- Way of the Peaceful Warrior

"We are all stardust."
- Carl Sagan

"Down there, we know. On the streets, we know. But here? Nobody has been here."
- David Belle

"There are two simultaneous processes. One is insight - the willing of attention, the channeling of awareness to focus precisely on what you want to see. The other process is surrender - letting go of all arising thoughts. That is real meditation; that is how you cut free of the mind."

"Use whatever knowledge you have but see its limitations. Knowledge alone does not suffice; it has no heart. No amount of knowledge will nourish or sustain your spirit; it can never bring you ultimate happiness or peace. Life requires more than knowledge; it requires intense feeling and constant energy. Life demands right action if knowledge is to come alive."

"A state of mind when you are performing a movement that is neither too simple nor too complex. Your focus rules out all other mental processes; your mind has no time for words, worries, or distractions. There is only timing, spatial awareness, and the feeling of satisfaction as you reach your goal."
- (forgot)

"In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you."
- (forgot)

"We can learn from the past, but those days are gone. We can hope for the future, but there may not be one. These words stuck in my mind, alive from what I learned, I went to seize the day."
- Dream Theater

Power, balance, freedom.
My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/MedvisP

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »
These are all from various books I read and collect the quotes from... a few of my favorites (if anyone wants, I'll dig up the book):

"Successful people do the things that unsuccessful people refuse to do."
-Just something that keeps me going and answers that question that comes up so often, "Why am I doing this?"/"Why should I do this?"

"Losing is a habit. So is winning."
-To keep my focus not on a individual success (though it should be celebrated) but instead on a process of success after success after success.

"Success is something you attract by the person you become."
-This is something you'd only understand by the books I'm reading.

"The real growth happens with what you do AFTER you hit the wall."
-We all hit the wall sometimes. It's important to know that that is the best, if not the only, time to continue.

"He who has a why to live for can bear any how." (I know this one is Fredrick Nietzsche)
-If I have too much trouble with my "how," I start reconsidering and revising my "why." Sometimes you just need a little work reminding yourself of your why.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »
"If you want to be happy, be"
-Tolstoy
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »
The water is your friend.  You don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move.
Aleksandr Popov

Breaststroke is an athletic event; butterfly is a political statement.
Paul Tsongas

"For myself, losing is not coming second. It's getting out of the water knowing you could have done better. For myself, I have won every race I've been in"
Ian Thorpe
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »
"HTFU"

"Pain is just an obstacle and my scars are my trophies." - Me

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." - Danny Kaye

"Because if we don't have goals, we're just floating in the wind and we don't know why we're moving." - David Belle

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"Life is just a series of trying to make up your mind." -Timothy Fuller

"Strength lies in differences, not in similarities." -Stephen Covey

"A courageous man needs no weapons." - Unknown

"Dig as a root digs until you find the motive to grow." -Casey Haymes

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."
--Jack London

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - T. E. Lawrence

It is my belief... that the truth is generally preferable to lies. - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)

The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution. - Albus Dumbledore

“Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.” - Omar Bradley

“Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid.” - Franklin P. Jones

“Repetition of the same thought or physical action develops into a habit which, repeated frequently enough, becomes an automatic reflex.” - Norman Vincent Peale

“Stand still. The trees ahead and bush beside you are not lost.” - Albert Einstein

“Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence.” - Henry David Thoreau

“Other people may be there to help us, teach us, guide us along our path, but the lesson to be learned is always ours.”

“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand.”

“You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel.”

“Variety's the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavor” - William Cowper

“Blood is just red sweat.” - Enson Inoue

---

Each of these has a meaning to me, but I'm not going into a big in depth explanation about them.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 03:36:36 AM »
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class."
- Choi, Hong Hi

"When two tigers fight, one is certain to be maimed, and one to die."
-- Gichin Funakoshi

"Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought."

The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender.
~ Vince Lombardi
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 04:57:49 AM »
"Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought."
Epic.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline TraceurNick

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 06:30:35 AM »
"If you're going to do something, do it with excellence" (unkown)

"Failing to prepare is like preparing to fail." (Father)

"If you're afraid to fall you fall because you're afraid." (Daniel Ilabaca)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body." (Wrestling Coach from Highschool, Mr. Dunning)

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you Crom, so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"
---Conan the Barbarian

"As we become adults, we get lazier. We wish to grow up. We wish to be respected. But somewhere along the way we lose sight of who we are. Once you get old, it's hard to get it back...the urge to fight things that don't make sense."
---Planetes, chapter 20

Offline Cpt_Rabbit

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Graham Parkour
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »
"Because we do not know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. And yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you cannot conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, or five times more? Perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless..." - Brandon Lee before his death on the set of the crow, can be seen if you have the special edition DVD
founder of Graham parkour
podcast Change To Subjection

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 09:51:16 AM »
"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."
----Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican

Offline Anias Zig Zag Reed

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »
‎"We build our temples for tomorrow, strong as we know how, and we stand on top of the mountain, free within ourselves." -Langston Hughes

‎"Life is a lesson from the day you were born to the day you depart family is the most important thing so hold them near life is too short to live it in fear to be positive helpful kind courteous stress is of the devil stay calm never furious such things are important they cannot impress how many people you bless is how you truly measure success."

"I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a bitch. You've got to go out and kick ass."- Maya Angelou
Dark Side Free Running

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »
‎"Life is a lesson from the day you were born to the day you depart family is the most important thing so hold them near life is too short to live it in fear to be positive helpful kind courteous stress is of the devil stay calm never furious such things are important they cannot impress how many people you bless is how you truly measure success."

That's from that 3Run video correct? :) The Poetry in Motion video. Sam Parham I believe. One of my favorite videos and a great poem to quote from.

---

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 10:45:32 PM »
“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.” - Mary Anne Radmacher

“You are the embodiment of the information you choose to accept and act upon. To change your circumstances you need to change your thinking and subsequent actions.” - Adlin Sinclair

“Our attitude toward life determines life's attitude towards us.” - John N. Mitchell

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 12:25:59 AM »
Man there are so many but I don't feel like going to dig them all up. I also have to post to see what epic stuff gets posted.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
~ Ernest Hemingway
I have no idea, I just like it XD

"Can miles truly separate you from friends... If you want to be with someone you love, aren't you already there?"
~ Richard Bach
My girl and I are long distance, this means a lot to me as such.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 07:15:50 AM »
"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

Offline Skye

• Ambassador
  • Mangabey
  • o.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 07:54:42 AM »
"If I don't accept the fear of failure, then how can i move forward?
If I fail without accepting the failure, how can I learn?
Every misstep I've encountered and forgotten has made me weaker.
So i embrace my mistakes and move forward with new knowledge of how to succeed."

~me~
ME:  "I'm a graphic artist."
HIM: "whats that? What do you do?"
ME:   "well actually it can be pretty hard, i have to  code and..." (getting all technical with my words on what i do."
HIM:  "blank Stare"
ME: "I make pretty pictures..."