Author Topic: Wall fronts  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Swa

• Patas
  • Life's short, make fun of it!
    • View Profile
Wall fronts
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:44:11 PM »
okay... rawr.  this move has been getting me for a while.  in the gym whenever i try this, i either smack the wall with my back then slide down, or hit it with my feet on the rotation.  How the heck do you do this move?

oh and if i have the wrong term, i mean doing a wall(front)flip

have a nice day

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Wall fronts
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 08:57:45 PM »
Just FYI, a lot of people call these wall inwards or wall inward fronts. :)
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Swa

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
alright thanks i knew i had the term wrong haha

have a nice day

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »
I'm not really an expert in this regard, seeing as I've never attempted them, but here are my suggestions from an observers standpoint:

You are rotating, and in your rotation, you come into contact with the wall. The simple solution to this problem would be pushing off a bit more so that you get farther from the wall. However, you're probably stuck between getting the vertical distance you need to clear the wall and getting the vertical height you need to complete a rotation. Best advice I can give you: work on your tucking form. Nothing will help you more than working to get your rotational period as fast as humanly possible. How are you throwing your arms when you flip? In my opinion (again, this may be incorrect, as I've never tried the move before), it would be best to throw them in a soccer-throw-in fashion (i.e. up and around in front of you). Try to pop off of the wall as efficiently as you can. The more explosiveness you can pack into your punch off the wall, the better you will be, so obviously if you dilly-dally while you're getting off of the wall, it will only hurt you. I can't really offer much more, but here's a link to a tutorial, whether it helps or not; I hope so :)

matcauthon12

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
When you go for the front flip, push your hips back. You're mostly likely allowing your hips to drift forward (toward the wall) which is carrying you into the wall mid-flip. Let your hips drive backward a bit and keep your chest square to the wall until you reach a good height, as opposed to caving it in and starting the flip immediately which is another potential cause of your problem...good luck! Wall fronts are quite fun once you get them :)

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 08:11:39 AM »
First, here's a video of me doing it to prove I know what I'm talking about. 

Second, progression progression progression!!!  This is a possible neck breaking move if you do it wrong so if you're hitting your back on the wall you are probably inches away from hitting your head on that wall and ending up with some serious damage.  And you're also nearly landing on your head on the floor...you need to stop doing that.  Also the more you chuck them wrong, the more you are teaching your body to do it wrong and it'll be harder to learn in the long run.  You need to back up and learn to do it...not just chuck it.

Your first step will be learning a decent webster front flip.  It doesn't necessarily have to be as good as Ryan Doyle's, but it needs to be pretty ok.

Then you have to turn that webster into a loser front flip.  If you run and kick properly you'll actually have more power doing it this way than you did with just the webster.  It's not too difficult, just weird feeling at first.

Once you learn that one, you can take it to the wall and it should be pretty easy.  Another thing that may help, if you watch the video of me doing it, note how I run up to the wall.  It's kinda hard to see but it's what I call a "power step" and it'll help a ton with this trick and many others.  Soon I'm going to make a tutorial on the power step takeoff and some of these tricks you can use it for.  Good luck with it, and don't hurt yourself!

Offline MThomasfreerun

• Mangabey
  • We all start with nothing.
    • View Profile
    • MThomasfreerun's Youtube Page
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 08:45:51 AM »
I like Chad's post a lot except the term "power step" which is actually known simply as a "hurdle" "power hurdle" in gymnastics ;-)

That approach is very frequently used and, as Chad has shown, can develop a lot of power and rotation without much of a run up. Some people who don't yet know how to do it often struggle with getting the steps right so....

You can also do it out of a straight run, but this has more power/momentum and you'll really need to control so you don't crash into the wall. The benefit of this method is that you can usually get a bit higher on the wall.

I sure hope you're using at LEAST an 8" crash mat for your first few attempts, and definitely get a spotter if at all possible. As Chad mentioned, if your but/back hit the wall and you fall straight down, your head/neck are the first to hit the ground.
"Obstacles - I go over, under, right through, around 'em" - Shed Light

www.pkout.com

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 11:09:30 AM »
The power step helps a lot
the steps are like a rhythm
if it were music, normal steps would be quarter notes, and the power step and the step on the wall would be eighth notes
chads 3 steps in that video would be like 1& 2& 3& 4&
I really hope you played any type of instrument so you understand that terrible analogy i stated lol

Study Chads steps in the video, and his arm motions, for any flip/twist Setting is important.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Swa

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »
The power step helps a lot
the steps are like a rhythm
if it were music, normal steps would be quarter notes, and the power step and the step on the wall would be eighth notes
chads 3 steps in that video would be like 1& 2& 3& 4&
I really hope you played any type of instrument so you understand that terrible analogy i stated lol

Study Chads steps in the video, and his arm motions, for any flip/twist Setting is important.

ha dont worry, i'm a singer.  i understood it perfectly.

And when i attempt these, i am in a gym, so dont worry, i am in a save environment.  I am also at least the intermediate level with my ground flips, so i know how to bail very well.  and being in the martial arts for six years cant hurt either.  But thanks for the tips, i landed eight succesfully in a row yesterday.  and i dont have my loser, i will work on that haha

have a nice day

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 08:49:06 PM »
My power step is slightly different than a gymnastics hurdle step.  In the gymnastics step you hit with the same foot twice in a row, I don't do that.  It doesn't seem like much of a difference but it actually changes a lot when used correctly.  Glad to hear that you are landing them, but remember that just because you are in a gym doesn't mean you can't hurt yourself.  I ended up with a broken neck once (luckily didn't actually injure my spinal cord at all) landing wrong on a 3 foot resi pit mat in a gym.

Offline MThomasfreerun

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 05:49:44 PM »
Indeed you are doing a switch step - my bad. While this works, I would contend a power hurdle is superior, and allows easier adjustment of distance. But as I always say, whatever (safely) works. :-)

www.pkout.com

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 08:58:25 AM »
Indeed you are doing a switch step - my bad. While this works, I would contend a power hurdle is superior, and allows easier adjustment of distance. But as I always say, whatever (safely) works. :-)
i don't think the power hurdle would work well when doing inward wall flips
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »
The gymnastics power hurdle has it's place (although I actually find it way more limiting than useful usually) and my power step has it's place.  The power hurdle does not work with in inward wall flip because it puts your wall kicking leg too far in front of you when you are approaching the wall and you can't really get the right push off.

Offline MThomasfreerun

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 02:12:03 PM »
To each their own. I believe a properly executed power hurdle works perfectly fine. Certainly there shouldn't be much difference between your steps and the hurdle - they should both put your leg in the same spot. In all honestly I  just run straight into my wall fronts with no hurdle if I have the choice.

www.pkout.com

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »
Running straight into them actually works just as well too, although I would say it doesn't give you the same power.  The difference in leg position of my step and the hurdle step is where your wall hitting leg is right before take-off.  If you do the gymnastics hurdle, the leg you will hit the wall with is already set in front of your other leg well before you ever make it to the wall.  When you are either using my power step or just running into it, that leg stays behind until right before you swing it forward to hit the wall.  Try doing it with both ways and I guarantee you will notice a big difference.