Author Topic: Gaps  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Pitch Black

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Gaps
« on: February 16, 2011, 01:58:21 PM »
I am afraid of gaps and I don't know how to get over it. Because of this I am not able to go further in parkour. I can handle a gap the size of a ruler but anything bigger then a foot and I'm scared shitless. I'm not that scared of heights cause I do a ton of climbing and it's not the balance that I'm worried about cause I have great balance, but for some reason the feeling of not having my feet on the ground scares me. Drops are easy for me too.

So I ask you all this, How do I get over my fear of gaps?

Offline superdude88

• is 13!!
  • Mangabey
  • kris vachet
    • View Profile
Re: Gaps
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
just got to go for it from what i just heard you cand it you just are scared you got to go for
I'm Legend, 13, I'm Superdude

"No matter what you see in life see it as an obstacle see it as it can be over come."
-Me

Can't have a rainbow without rain

Offline Ryan Frosten

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »
Work with a gap that has almost no drop just doing precisions. Gradually make that gap wider and wider. I used to be afraid of gaps too, but I did a lot of precisions on gaps I knew I could make and I now am working on much longer precisions over wider gaps.

Offline Pitch Black

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »
OK thanks guys. I'm out to train and will try these

Offline superdude88

• is 13!!
  • Mangabey
  • kris vachet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:55:38 PM »
OK thanks guys. I'm out to train and will try these
have fun
I'm Legend, 13, I'm Superdude

"No matter what you see in life see it as an obstacle see it as it can be over come."
-Me

Can't have a rainbow without rain

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
i think it might be jumping you are uncomfortable with. i would just do a ton of precision style broad jumps until you get the mechanics of a jump down.

i mean, you can step over a foot wide gap... you may not be comfortable with landing at speed, jumping at speed or just jumping in general. really take your time and try to perfect and understand jumping before you talk about gaps of any distance.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline kenny nivens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »
try just jumping as far as you can on flat ground. then when you are comfortable with that try jumping up onto a bed or something to that effect, aomething that is higher than your knees. and then work on your gaps like the guy before me said with hardly any drop.
Have you ever thought, could do?

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:08:47 PM »
just got to go for it from what i just heard you cand it you just are scared you got to go for
No...That's wrong. If your not confidant with it DON'T just go for it! That is the stuff that gets people killed and/or seriously injured. You should be calm before a jump, and not have the whole matter a heart racing experience.\
So only do what your comfortable with and don't go big to impress your friends. Train safe.
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline John George 'JG'

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Bloomsburg Parkour (Columbia County)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 10:42:36 PM »
Spirit: Part of which is to train your mind to make these comparisons. "I did this exact same thing on the ground. Why can't I do it 3 feet off the ground?"

Bring yourself to understand that it IS possible. Consciously and verbally weigh the pros and cons. Then make your decision.
Parkour Endure founder - parkourendure.com
Lehigh Valley Parkour (member)
Level 1 ADAPT qualified instructor

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 04:02:35 AM »
DRILL MOVEMENTS AT GROUND LEVEL. Take advantage of areas with plenty of curbs/low ledges (I tend to find good things at banks) and use them to work on jumping, strides, etc. This way you'll essentially be able to work on what you consider "Gap Jumping", but at a safe and controlled area.