Author Topic: Indoor/Foul Weather Practice  (Read 4836 times)

Offline antwawn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Indoor/Foul Weather Practice
« on: November 28, 2005, 07:11:35 PM »
Hey everyone, Im a starting traceur here in North Carolina, looking for a gym I can practice parkour in. When I call up different places, whats the name of the equipment I'm looking for? Tumbling and mats?

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
Re: Indoor/Foul Weather Practice
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:19:17 PM »
pretty much any gymnastics gym will have what youre looking for.  padded floormats, pads, balance beams, foam pits, trampolines, cubes, horses, vaulting stuff.  just look for a gymnastics place that has memberships or open gyms and you should be golden...
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline antwawn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 02:16:11 PM »
Yea I found one gymnastics place here in town, but they mostly cater to very young kids. They have all the right equipment, so hopefully they'll let us use it on their next open gym. But I'd love a membership there.

Offline coastal96

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 10:18:47 AM »
Hey, your money is just as good as anyone else's.  If u sense any hesitation on their part just try to explain why you are there and what you are doing.  You just don't want to be thought of as that group guys oogling 8 year old girls :P

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 01:40:46 PM »
Most gymnastic centers insurance policies will not allow them to have adults on their equipment beyond the floor. There are some out there however who will allow you to practice on their equipment with supervision. Good luck with you quest. I would also say that its important to practice during all types of weather while you may not be able to do the same thing in the rain/snow and you absolutely have to excercise caution, its not true that you can't practice in bad conditions in fact I think its important parkour training.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Ando

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • CHICAGO PARKOUR AERO
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 05:18:31 PM »
Here in chicago we practice at college campuses.  In some of the buildings, its dead on the weekends, yes INSIDE the buildings!  You just have to be careful not to damage anything cause if you get caught doing that, you may be in some trouble, and might not be able to practice Parkour there in the future.  Every once in a while its fun to brave the cold and go for a run outside with a few people that are willing.  As for gyms, yeah they are great for training in winter time, thats all we did last winter and plan to do it again.

Offline antwawn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 05:47:30 PM »
Yea, they do a monthly open gym at this place here (with the 7 year olds...that's going to be embarassing) and it hasn't come around yet, so I don't know if they'll let us on. Im hoping they might let us pay to have a membership or something, because there's just not anywhere else in town with comparable equipment at all.

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 07:39:33 PM »
just do vaults over your couch :)
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 06:16:15 AM »
Antwan:

Where in NC are you, man? There's a regular and slowly growing group of us in N.Charlotte. U nearby??

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline antwawn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 01:09:13 PM »
No, Greensboro, so that's a damn long drive to meet up.