Author Topic: Safe way to run.  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Wasit

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Safe way to run.
« on: December 25, 2011, 09:54:59 PM »
What is the most safe way to run? I read many articles, some say I should land my feet with heel some say I have to land with balls of the feet. So which one is correct? I'm very confused.

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Safe way to run.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 12:54:33 AM »
naturally man is meant to run toe to heel because we absorb on our toes
"there are no "parkour spots"; you can use anything anywhere to train and to play, as long as you're able to look at your surroundings with a vigilant eye, and use your imagination to figure out what you can do with things you come across."-  L'consolable

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 09:52:26 AM »
naturally man is meant to run toe to heel because we absorb on our toes

Do everything "on your toes." This does not literally mean walk/run on your toes, but basically try to never land on your heels. The reason for this is that heel-strike means you'll be leaving impact absorption mostly to your joints. This is as important for walking and running form as it is for landing from a jump. By landing on the balls of your feet, the muscles are able to properly and safely absorb impacts instead of the joints.

Note: most shoes that exist make it difficult to stay on your toes due to their elevated heals. It is important when choosing shoes to find pairs with "zero-rise" where the heel is not or at least minimally raised up compared to the toe portion of the shoe.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Scott Eustice

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 06:36:29 PM »
When running, mid/ forefoot striking is always better than heel striking. Wearing a standard running shoe generally enforces heel striking, and also damages proprioception in the feet.

Sources: http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html (Harvard study)
               http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/11/shoes-sitting-and-lower-body-dysfunctions/#shoes

I'm not sure that we are supposed to walk on our toes. I thought that we had developed a heavily padded heel and thick calcaneus so that we could have a heel to toe stride when walking, which is more efficient.

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
barefoot running, Toe to heel. Buy minimalist footwear and your feet will thank you.
WIP

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »
Yea, I was kind of wondering about this too. I read the Proper Running Form thread and it didn't really give me a good image of how you should be running.

So the idea is not to run on your toes or your heels, but land on the middle/midsection of your foot, correct? That's the only safe assumption I could make.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:20:34 AM »
Yea, I was kind of wondering about this too. I read the Proper Running Form thread and it didn't really give me a good image of how you should be running.

So the idea is not to run on your toes or your heels, but land on the middle/midsection of your foot, correct? That's the only safe assumption I could make.

Nick, I've done my research about running, and try the www.birthdayshoes.com Website. That's how I got turned on to VVFs. but minimalist runners do strike mid-foot to toe striking. but never heel striking. Watch youtube videos about how people are running. You'll notice it in a flash the difference styles.

Heel striking will cause more pain in the long run. It causes knee pain and other aliments I cannot recall right now, but arch support shoes are only destroying your feet. Our feet were not meant to 'arch up' like a Gothic arch.

Try walking on your toes for about 4 minutes to strengthen you feet. Plus run barefoot in soft grass, then work your way up to harder surfaces.
WIP

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 01:17:48 PM »
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Daniel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »
Hey Steven out of curiosity why do my legs swing back and out when I run
6 challenges completed
No retreat, no surrender. If the obstacle is too big or hard push yourself to overcome it - Me

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 04:01:20 PM »
Hey Steven out of curiosity why do my legs swing back and out when I run

Would need to see a video
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 06:09:54 PM »
The link Steven posted is worth a look, but I think it is worth bearing in mind that running is not always the same thing as sprinting. The example on that link is not suitable for all forms of running.

Also, although it's good to acknowledge that evidence points to heel-toe running as being a bad idea, it's also good to be precise about what the better alternative is. You can discover it for yourself fairly easily by taking off your shoes and experimenting, but I just thought it was worth noting that it's almost certainly not good technique to land on your toes, or to try and stay on your toes the whole time. Toe-heel running as advocated actually involves making contact with the outside edge of the ball of the foot first and then allowing the foot to rotate inwards. As it happens,. the example in the link Steven posted does this part fine.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 07:46:11 PM »
Would you ever go heel to toe when doing Qm's? No. So why would you when you sprint and or run.
{TEAM ONE-WAY}

Offline jaycee

• Guenons
  • \m/ (>_<) \m/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »
As do most people, I always used to run heel to toe (because shoes.) When I was getting ready for basic training, I started to get serious shinsplints that made it overwhelmingly painful to run for a week+,

Switched to VFFs, started to run mid/toe to heel, and now I only get muscle soreness that goes away after a few days.
who controls the past now controls the future
who controls the present now controls the past
who controls the past now controls the future
who controls the present now?

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »
You should check out Adida's new adipure Trainers.
{TEAM ONE-WAY}