Author Topic: How fast are you progressing?  (Read 5474 times)

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: How fast are you progressing?
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011, 08:01:32 AM »
I don't have to roll at a ten foot drop I can land it but I choose to roll

Usually I don't look at usernames, but since this topic keeps popping up I did.

And I'm not surprised you were the one who was posting in the injury forum on foot pain:

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,37581.0.html

If you're so smart that you know more than us about training and treatment of your injuries, don't bother posting in the injury forum anymore.

I certainly won't give you any advice if you're going to ignore it, and I don't know how much patience the other guys have either.

If you want to be a jerk and continue to take drops but ignore any advice herein on safety then so be it. You reap what you sow.

Thanks.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 05:24:04 PM »
 ;D  I agree completely with everything Steven said.  I may have a bit of a man-crush on you Mr. Low.  Hahaha. 

Offline Will

• Guenons
  • Be yourself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
Height has nothing do to with that pain I'm 100% sure cause I hurt it the worst when I did a backflip on flat ground. I told u I am taking ur advice and how am I a jerk? If I want to drop from that height then let me I know my limits. If I severely hurt myself, then I'll tell you. We all know how much fun it is to say I told you so.
If you ask me to run, I won't. If you ask me to be myself, I wont stop running.

Offline Will

• Guenons
  • Be yourself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »
Also when u guys drop from an 8ft drop do u try to land then roll? Cause ur making it sound like it kills ur knees. My knees or legs don't feel anything much when I do it cause my momentum is forward and it just carries into the roll. I swear people make it sound like a flip and a roll from 8 ft is so hard and dangerous and no one should do them. It's so much easier than people think

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
Height has nothing do to with that pain I'm 100% sure cause I hurt it the worst when I did a backflip on flat ground. I told u I am taking ur advice and how am I a jerk? If I want to drop from that height then let me I know my limits. If I severely hurt myself, then I'll tell you. We all know how much fun it is to say I told you so.

Your drops from height may not be when you feel the pain, but they're definitely contributing to the condition that's causing the pain. If you're so "different" as you keep claiming then you wouldn't be having the pain.

If you were seriously heeding their advice then you wouldn't be doing the high drops. They are hurting you.
Age is just another obstacle. Get over it.

Offline DanielB

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »
I may not know all that much about parkour, but I do know this, and I'm going to break it down a little for you.

8 foot drops are not good for you. You may not feel the pain now, but in 10 years when you can't sit down without being in pain, you will know.

You are not as fit as those in the Yamakasi, and so therefor should not be practicing such drops when they only do it after thousands of hours of training. They have the proper muscles and form to be doing such things after years of training. How long have you been doing this? You are not some immortal being who can't do damage to yourself, you are human, just like the rest of us.

I'm sorry if you get offended by this, but I (and many others) sincerely wish that you wouldn't do these things because we don't want to see you hurt yourself and have a negative experience. Just trying to help out is all.

EDIT: I've just taken a look at the posts that you have posted. and i quote:
"Oh yes, I've always had a great natural skill of running away and hiding (yes I'm a monster at cops and robbers or man hunt) and once I get amazing at parkour, I really think I'm going to piss cops off then run from then just for fun. Think of the adrenaline rush you would get? It would be awesome!"

To be honest (and incredibly blunt), you do not sound like the type of person that would benefit from parkour, if what you're doing is actually parkour. To learn parkour so you can piss off cops and run away?? I'm sorry but you are the kind of person that puts parkour, such a wonderful sport, in a bad light with people who haven't seen anything appart from crappy news stories.

/end rant
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:14:26 PM by Daniel Bremner »

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2011, 10:19:15 PM »
Also when u guys drop from an 8ft drop do u try to land then roll? Cause ur making it sound like it kills ur knees. My knees or legs don't feel anything much when I do it cause my momentum is forward and it just carries into the roll. I swear people make it sound like a flip and a roll from 8 ft is so hard and dangerous and no one should do them. It's so much easier than people think

I don't drop habitually drop from 8 ft.  I can and have but I don't practice such drops because I want to still be training in 10 years when I'm in my forties.  You still don't get what we're trying to tell you.  It's not necessarily acute injuries that are the greatest risk here, as much as chronic injuries.  Also, we're not saying it's hard to do, we're saying it's unwise.

Offline Will

• Guenons
  • Be yourself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »
Daniel I made that quote before I really knew about parkour I'd never actually do that. Also thanks for the help guys. When did you guys start training and how often do you and do u guys do weightlifting?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:46:11 AM by Will »

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2011, 02:09:36 AM »
I've been training since February '08 and I lift weights twice a week, but I do upper body strength work with rings another 3 days a week. 

I teach gymnastics so I get ample opportunity to work my upper body stuff after work.  In the weight room I do squats and deadlifts.  I've found that by lifting twice a week I still get enough rest and recovery time for body and I can train parkour and tumbling 3-5 times a week that way.  If I lift once a week it's hard to make gains at all; if I lift three days a week I'm often too tired to train parkour more than once a week.  Everyone has to find a balance that works well for themselves, for me 2 days lifting and 3-5 of parkour lets me progress in both, train something everyday, and stay free of overtraining injuries.

Good luck!

Offline Will

• Guenons
  • Be yourself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Oh well I workout after school usually three to four days and do parkour everyday, I least do flips on the trampoline non stop for a bit them I go to a local neighborhood playground and Practice there for drops. I also do a run I made up going all around it mixing in flips, vaults, rolls, precision jumps front hand springs over a railing, a backflip, and clap pushups on between

Offline Mr.WWII

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Do what you can't, Parkour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »
I can't take it anymore. I hate the ignorance of people in this community. I hate the direction in which parkour has gone over the past few years. I hate that people still think that doing 100 BW squats is going to condition their legs for drops. Parkour is not magically different from other sports, it is physical activity, it requires muscles to be strong. If you want to protect yourself from injury, get stronger.

Offline Jesus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2011, 05:04:15 PM »
I can't take it anymore. I hate the ignorance of people in this community. I hate the direction in which parkour has gone over the past few years. I hate that people still think that doing 100 BW squats is going to condition their legs for drops. Parkour is not magically different from other sports, it is physical activity, it requires muscles to be strong. If you want to protect yourself from injury, get stronger.
Very well said. People now seem to be straying form the originally path of Parkour left by those before us. 

Offline Stephen

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2011, 07:46:06 PM »

Very well said. People now seem to be straying form the originally path of Parkour left by those before us. 

There is a lot of truth in this. Deeper than many people may think.

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2011, 05:53:36 PM »
@Will, smh.
{TEAM ONE-WAY}