Author Topic: If I were lost...  (Read 2085 times)

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
If I were lost...
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:59:29 AM »
What foods should I bring along in case I get lost in the woods. Olive oil, whole Milk? I'm sure anything fatty would be perfect.
"obsession is a great replacement for talent" -Steve Martin

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: If I were lost...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »
lol?

Are you planning on getting lost in the woods?

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
What foods should I bring along in case I get lost in the woods. Olive oil, whole Milk? I'm sure anything fatty would be perfect.

Assuming this is serious...

Either of those would not be on priority. If you feel where you're going you have the chance of being lost in the woods, plan accordingly. Bring enough food to last 3-5+ days (12-14lbs of food for most backpackers). Olive oil would be nice to mix in with some of the food - which I do on most backpacking trips - but it's just to reinforce what I already have. You can't bring milk with you, generally speaking, as it'll spoil pretty quick. You could bring powdered milk, but in terms of weight, you would only be able to carry so much and would not last you long. The same weight you would be better off carrying other foods, preferably ones that don't take much space and are not perishable. Most backpackers grocery list for the actual trip is significantly unhealthy. More for calories. Think I would eat upwards of 4,000-5,000 calories a day on trips that I'd make a lot of miles.

Besides determination and will, knives are an excellent survival tool. If I honestly believe I'll get lost - which is kinda unlikely - I'd bring a knife and compass/map for the area. With a knife, you can make enough things for prolonged use to make life sustainable (not easy). The map and compass, if you know how to use them, should allow you to get back to civilization within a day or two. Often less. In neither situation I'd recommend milk or olive oil, as again... if you plan to bring food, just bring food.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:36:20 AM by Kyle L Larson »

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »
lol?

Are you planning on getting lost in the woods?

Actually maybe, but in general, I like climbing and more intense wilderness travels. I'm just a freaking nerd, I'm sorry.  I have a wilderness EMT, and among many other things, I'm a part of a volunteer search and rescue crew.  I'm getting more into the whole survival thing. Not the show, that's stupid...

How food is prepped and made to taste good interests me when it comes to wilderness survival. In situations in survival for instance, I guess animal fat would be great. But on the flip side of the coin, it would appear that grains can pack on more calories, correct? You have any good facts I should know about this.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:16:23 PM by FastGuppy »
"obsession is a great replacement for talent" -Steve Martin

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:12:58 PM »
How food is prepped and made to taste good interests me when it comes to wilderness survival. In situations in survival for instance, I guess animal fat would be great. But on the flip side of the coin, it would appear that grains can pack on more calories, correct? You have any good facts I should know about this.

To be honest, I'm not sure. The issue here is that everything tastes fantastic when you're in a survival situation and I'd say that - besides water - aquatic and small game would be your primary source of food. Plant life is a fantastic way to survive, but without truly extensive knowledge of the plants in the area, you run a fair chance of killing yourself by eating any of it. I've grown to be very familiar with a lot of different edible plant life in the wild now, based on location, but am still pretty intimidated by any first bite.

I'd recommend taking several classes then several personal experiences with actual plant life before even attempting to eat a single grain of grass. Too risky. As far as meat goes, you just need to gut and skin what you catch. Which isn't very hard, but I'm unable to explain that in text. Again, would recommend someone showing you - it's not hard, though, I know people that can do it just from watching youtube instructions a couple times. For cooking, there's several different ways, all of which involving a fire. You can boil it, cook it over coals, use a rock right next to the fire (which I guess would be frying it)... etc. To be honest, it tastes good to me in even a non-survival situation and it tastes even better in one. That being said, you can spice them as you become more familiar with the plant life.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:45:59 PM »

Don't worry about calories, that's what fat is for.  I'd be more worried about getting your daily allotment of vitamins and minerals.  Other food can be foraged.  Some olive oil just in case wouldn't be bad though.  Maybe like 10k kcal worth.

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 05:31:33 PM »
Learn to hunt with a recurve bow, its light, durable, and can provide you with a lot of food in an emergency.
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »
Learn to hunt with a recurve bow, its light, durable, and can provide you with a lot of food in an emergency.

Its also difficult to master, hard to hit most game reliably without reasonable talent (particularly small game), and impractical in terms of something you would be carrying with you during times you might get lost. As it is, it's probably not reasonable to always have a bow on you. The one's you can make in the wild are even worse in terms of reliability, power and accuracy. Even if you did just happen to have a bow on you, there's still better and more effecient ways of obtaining food.

In other words, a bow would complicate things. You want to keep things as simple and easy-to-do as possible to conserve energy and avoid unecessary difficulties.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:57:09 PM by Kyle L Larson »

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »
Its also difficult to master, hard to hit most game reliably without reasonable talent (particularly small game), and impractical in terms of something you would be carrying with you during times you might get lost. As it is, it's probably not reasonable to always have a bow on you. The one's you can make in the wild are even worse in terms of reliability, power and accuracy. Even if you did just happen to have a bow on you, there's still better and more effecient ways of obtaining food.

In other words, a bow would complicate things. You want to keep things as simple and easy-to-do as possible to conserve energy and avoid unecessary difficulties.
Not a recurve that breaks down, I have one in my gear everytime I go backpacking and its extremely light, but has enough poundage to take down small and medium size game.  

Just a suggestion though, I've hunted all my life so bow hunting just kind of comes as a natural survival skill for me.
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 08:20:03 PM »
Not a recurve that breaks down, I have one in my gear everytime I go backpacking and its extremely light, but has enough poundage to take down small and medium size game.  

Just a suggestion though, I've hunted all my life so bow hunting just kind of comes as a natural survival skill for me.

I think that is awesome, of course. Still, as this is advise on how to survive in an unplanned situation with mixed conditions, I couldn't recommend a bow to anyone. Particularly because there is usually more practical and energy effecient ways of obtaining food.