Author Topic: Leaders Unite-Introduce Yourselves.  (Read 22744 times)

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
Leaders Unite-Introduce Yourselves.
« on: February 11, 2011, 02:59:26 PM »
In an effort to help teach, give pointers, and instruct each other on how to create and maintain an active and healthy community, Alec came up with the great idea for this forum. So I think it'll be helpful if we all were familiar with each other. So give us some basic info on who you are, where you're from, and an other info you think we should know!

I'm Steve, I live in the wonderful goodness of Maine. I've been doing parkour for about a year and a half now. My community is still fairly small. I train with a few friends fairly frequently. I'm trying to enlarge my community by teaching a parkour class at a local gym.

EDIT: Also, you can find contacts through this list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlOp_D1mc_TOdDF0cnJYOFlWemx4NS1LbDVvT1I0ZWc&hl=en_US (Thanks, Matthew Willis!)

Current list:

Arizona
Arkansas
  • (Central) Joe Brock
California
Connecticut
  • (Trumbull) Shay
Georgia
  • (Savannah, Armstrong Atlantic State University) Brayden Saxon
Kentucky
Maine
  • Steve Leifheit
MichiganMinnesota
Missouri
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Texas
Utah
Washington
Wisconsin

International

Canada
  • Victoria, B.C.
    • James, aka "Undeclared Winner"
India
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:41:25 PM by Alec Furtado »
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Shyam Subramanian

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Leaders Unite-Introduce Yourselves.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »
Hey!  I'm Shay.  I live in Connecticut, which is just pretty much all woods ;).  I started the community in my town, Trumbull, and teach a Parkour class with a couple of friends.  While I'm not the "leader of parkour" in our state, as I personally know people who are much more experienced than me, I love my cpmmunity amd am trying my hardest to "activate" the potential CT has in it :)
CTPK -|Trumbull Parkour|-

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:05:31 PM »
Washington reporting in.

Hey, I'm Matt. I run the Washington Parkour Forums, although they're almost a dead species and I'm too busy to look through them in depth anymore. I always try to help beginners get along their way because when I was a beginner, many helped me. I like to return the favor. Pretty much I'm the Washington representative on APK. If you've got any questions about the Washington community, feel free to contact me!
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
I wish there was a better option than me for Central AR, but it seems like most of the plans and jams in the area over the past 6 months have all been my brainchildren.  Surprisingly, we have a lot of people really interested in the art of PK/FR, but simply don't know how to even begin.  I guess all of the running through the woods with shotguns has it in our blood. ;D

Central Arkansas, checking in.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »
Chad Zwadlo here from Minnesota.  I run the MNPK website (http://www.meetup.com/parkour-97/) as well as teach classes every day of the week at a local gymnastics school.  By the end of this year we will have our own Parkour/Freerunning/Martial Arts gym opened up here in the Twin Cities.

ranger149

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 06:34:14 PM »
Kyle Reiniger Here. Running A group of Free Running/Parkour In Arizona. Just started it's small. I have about 2 years of Parkour experience. I am one of 3 Leaders. Wish us luck. And Good luck to the rest of you. Plan on getting a huge group. Located in both Mesa And Queen Creek. The group is called Legend. Our motto is: "Climbing to the Top" The group has multiple rules, that shouldn't effect outside life of our members to much. Our group is getting together Friday to make some vids. Send me A PM via Youtube or email if your interested in joining. Email: LegendPKR@gmail.com
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 02:57:28 PM by Kyle Reiniger »

Offline Mr. 13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »
Brayden Saxon here from Savannah, GA area. I am the leader of a parkour team at my local college (Armstrong Atlantic State University) and teach a basics class to people in Rincon and on campus. I wouldn't call myself THE leader for my area since there are lots of traceurs off on their own and a class available to young teens at a nearby gymnastics gym that has only recently started. Anyone that is too old for the classes at the gym or simply can't afford it, generally ends up with me or one of the people that trained with me.

Offline Lonnie Tisdale

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • San Diego Parkour, PKCali.com
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 11:54:40 AM »
Lonnie from San Diego, California.

I've been leading sessions around the county for about 4 years and training Parkour maybe a few months longer... I'm a moderator for Parkour California and the California Forums here on APK. Aside from leading free outdoor sessions, I have 2 years experience coaching Parkour in a gym. Philosophy and History are very important to me as well as careful progression and sustainable training. I'm not a fan of the dilution that is saturating our discipline.

Currently I am working on the creation of San Diego Parkour as a non-profit organization and the launch of our new website which is still under heavy construction: www.sandiegoparkour.org

For now find us on facebook: www.facebook.com/sdparkour
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:34:43 PM by Lonnie Tisdale »
"Let the fear of danger be a spur to prevent it; he that fears not, gives advantage to the danger."

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:34:54 PM »
Adam McC, from the Lehigh Valley!

I'm one of the founding members of Urban Current Clan, been training Parkour for about 5 years now. Trained for a year with Ozzi in Hawaii and helped him kickstart the HawaiiPK community as well as assisted him instruct Parkour classes at Crossfit Oahu. Then moved back to the Lehigh Valley where I founded the Lehigh Valley Parkour community by teaching sporadic seminars and hosting jams. Then I began to teach classes at Parkettes Gymnastics Center in Allentown, and did that for nearly two years, during which time I was lucky enough to go to Ohio and (thanks to ParkourHorizons) train with the Yamakasi and Parkour Generations, and then later returned to take the Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certification course. I now teach weekly outdoor classes, as well as seminars, jams, and private sessions.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline NOS - from Parkour Mumbai

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Mumbai
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 03:32:32 AM »
Hi,
I'm NOS, from Mumbai, India.
I administer the Parkour Mumbai and Parkour India websites.
http://www.parkourmumbai.com/
http://www.parkourindia.net/

I've been training for around 4 1/2 years now, since the time I helped found the Parkour scene in Mumbai, which was one of the first few places in India to start getting active in Parkour.  I have been instrumental in setting up India's only Parkour gym where we have been running India's only Parkour classes for the past 2 1/2 years.
For the past two years, I've also been trying to organize and unite the disparate Parkour scene in the rest of the country, and have been working with other local community leaders in setting up our national community.

Offline Kauri

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 03:42:19 AM »
Hi all. Name is Kauri and I'm from Bowling Green Kentucky. I can say that I'm one of the founders for Parkour here in this town and I'm proud of it. My buddies and I have a Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=131516928690

And my email (KauriXZ@hotmail.com)

I've been training for around 4 1/2 years now, since the time I helped found the Parkour scene in Mumbai, which was one of the first few places in India to start getting active in Parkour.  I have been instrumental in setting up India's only Parkour gym where we have been running India's only Parkour classes for the past 2 1/2 years.
For the past two years, I've also been trying to organize and unite the disparate Parkour scene in the rest of the country, and have been working with other local community leaders in setting up our national community.

You've just been doing HUGE thing there havent you? I admire your drive and love for Parkour. Keep up the killer work, bro
Zechariah 14:12
And the LORD will send a plague on all the nations that fought against Jerusalem. Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.

(Zombies)

Offline NOS - from Parkour Mumbai

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Mumbai
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 04:06:28 AM »
Thanks, but I feel you're giving me too much credit. :)
What we're doing here is not huge by any standard.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 05:20:49 AM »
Steve, just a heads up. I'm not from New Jersey. Close, but just put Pennsylvania.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Kauri

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 05:27:17 AM »
@Adam - That's pretty cool. My grandparents live in Allentown, no lie.

@Nos - In the community is kind of is. You're spreading it through a country, that, without any help, most likely wouldn't catch wind of it for a while
Zechariah 14:12
And the LORD will send a plague on all the nations that fought against Jerusalem. Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.

(Zombies)

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 08:03:10 AM »
Awesome guys! I love seeing this list grow ;D
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 06:13:06 PM »
Steve, just a heads up. I'm not from New Jersey. Close, but just put Pennsylvania.

Actually, I have to give credit to Alec for creating and updating the list. I made the initial post, but he's done the updating. Props Alec! You've been putting a lot of hard work into this forum, we all appreciate it :)
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »
Hi, I'm Jacob. I've been training for around two years now. I lead a group of around 15 people in Grafton, Ohio. (Near Cleveland, small town) I also lead a parkour group at my high school. I've been fortunate enough to train with some members of the Yamakasi and Parkour Generations thanks to the wonderful guys from Parkour Horizons down in Columbus. I've been teaching parkour for around a year now and am currently trying to get more people interested and get in good standing with some authority figures around town. They see parkour as vandalism and I'm trying to show them the positive benefits of parkour.
Be responsible with your body. You will have it for all of your life. Make it a strong tool. Like bamboo, give it strength, but flexibility. Like water, give it flow, but power. -Adam McC

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
Gah! How did I miss this thread?

Alissa (aka "Muse")
Wisconsin Parkour
based in Madison, WI
www.wisconsinparkour.com

What a great forum idea! Always good to collaborate with other community leaders!
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 09:24:31 PM »
Sup y`alls!

Brett here, part of the group of leaders for http://www.sfparkour.com, the largest resource for traceurs in Northern California.  I'm an SFPK Area Representative for Santa Rosa in the North Bay.  We're as far east as Sacramento and as far south as Santa Cruz, and we have sub-communities in many places in between.

I'm also the APK Rep for Northern California.

Hit me up if you're ever in Northern California and I'll put you in touch.

Offline Cody Beltramo

• Patas
  • SSJ3500
    • View Profile
    • SSJ3500.net
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 01:33:25 AM »
Cody from Chicago, http://chicagoparkour.net

Been training for about 5 years now, I'm on Team Sanjuu, might add more info later.