Author Topic: Paleo Recipes  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
Paleo Recipes
« on: February 09, 2011, 08:34:52 PM »
Ryan mentioned this and I want to kick it off for those of us who are eating paleo.

Ahi Tuna

2 Ahi Tuna Steaks
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp oregano (and other herbs to taste)
2 tbsp Butter (or Olive oil)

Melt butter, heat up your Skillet/Griddle to HIGH heat.  Put the butter in the pan and as it melts, add the garlic.  Put oregano (and other herbs if you prefer) on the steaks themselves.  As the garlic begins to brown, plop the steaks in and let them sear along the outside.  They're "done" slightly before the inside whitens.  (Tuna steaks are originally pink, and the inside layer should still have a thin pink area about 1/3 of an inch in the center.)

These are freaking amazing!!!
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
Re: Paleo Recipes
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:45:02 AM »
Argh! You beat me to it. I'm going to reserve my spot and toss one up after I get back from Texas.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 01:09:03 PM »
DOUBLE THE MEAT BEEF ROAST/CHICKEN Au Jus

For those of you who realize that paleo eating requires a good deal of small meat portions, here's a little "Kitchen Tricking" idea.

2-3lbs Beef Roast
2 Fresh Jalapeño Peppers (chopped)
1 Whole Onion (chopped)
2 Whole Tomatoes (pureed)
2 cloves of Garlic (minced)
2 Tsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
Water
Herbs (I like pepper and garlic) to taste
1 or 2 Chickens (in parts is fine)

Get out the slow-cooker (aka: crockpot) Place tomatoes (pureed into a fine paste), garlic, cumin, chili powder, onions, and jalapeños into cooker.  Start heat.  Cover Beef Roast in herbs (I recommend making a layer of ground herbs over the top of the roast.  When the mixture in the crockpot begins to soften, add Beef roast and cover in water.  Allow to cook on 'low' heat for about 12 hours.  Beef roast should be ready...but DO NOT THROW AWAY THE BROTH YOU'VE MADE.

Eat the beef roast ;) It's good for you.  Once the Beef Roast is removed from the slow-cooker, add your chicken to the beef/spicy broth in the pot, and allow it to cook on low for about the next 8-10 hours.

This makes a TON of meat, which can be put into many individual meals, and the chicken will actually be kept warm if once you're done cooking it, you reduce the slow-cooker's heat to 'keep warm' and pull out chicken over the next day.  Go buy some fresh carrots, slice carrots (or whatever veggies you like with roast) and eat them...or don't slice them, just eat them washed.  Don't slice the beef up either if you don't want to.  It makes you look like a caveman to eat a 3 lbs roast and whole veggies.  You'll grow more chest-hair that way. ;D

Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Leland

• Patas
  • Be stronger then you were yesterday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
are potatoes acceptable for paleo?

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
  • "Practice makes perfect"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:40:56 AM »
are potatoes acceptable for paleo?

nope

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 02:33:27 AM »
Mexican Omelet

3-4 omega 3 eggs
2/3 cup taco meat
1/2 cup broccoli (chopped)
1/3 cup onion (chopped)
chimichurri, salsa, and avocado - for garnish

Heat skillet over medium heat.
Saute broccoli and onions in coconut oil until tender (about 5 minutes), then set aside.
Wipe out skillet, re-oil.
Mix 3-4 eggs in a bowl until yolks and whites are combined, then pour into a freshly oiled, medium hot skillet. Make sure eggs are evenly distributed.
Pour taco meat, broccoli and onions over half of the eggs. The other half will be folded over when the eggs have cooked a bit.
After 3-4 minutes, the omelet will be ready to flip. You can use two spatulas (or forks) to flip it, or a bold flick of the wrist.
Let cook for another 3-4 minutes, then remove from heat and serve.
Top with slices of avocado, some salsa, and some of our chimichurri if you have it.

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 02:38:59 AM »
I am going to post here to keep on on further recipes. These sound a lot better than the paleo that a friend of mine eats...

Also I have to ask, what is taco meat? Like browned beef?
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline Leland

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »
lol i'm not strictly following paleo, but I do generally follow it such as by cutting out grains. If my recipes are unacceptable for paleo please tell me.

Meat Stew

This is the easiest thing I do and it taste pretty good and is super easy to make.

1) a bunch of meat (lamb/pork/beef/chicken) into relatively small pieces (slightly larger then bite sized) for beef you can cut them smaller
2) an onion and/or shallots
3) 2 or 3 cloves of garlic
4) 2-3 carrots
5) 1 potato (optional, omit if strict paleo)
6) 1-2 celery (optional, omit if you hate celery or don't have them)
7) a tomato (optional)
8) butter/coconut/palm/olive oil
9) whatever meat stock/broth (optional)
10) seasoning set A: fresh thyme, rosemary (couple of twigs, finely chopped), worcestershire sauce (1 tablespoon)
      seasoning set B (asian style): star anise (optional), soy sauce (1 tablespoon), hoisin sauce (1 tablespoon), dark soy sauce (1 teaspoon) (optional)
11) mushrooms, optional too

Looks complicated, but really easy. (for set A seasoning use butter or olive oil or both, for set B use coconut or palm, not that it matters if you mix em up)
1) Chop onion into slices, garlic into fairly small pieces (or crushed), and all other veges into bite sized pieces.
2) Heat pan, medium to high heat with oil of your choice
3) Saute onions and garlic until fragrant or tender
4) Dump in your meat, stir them around for 5-10 minutes
5) Dump in seasoning and mix
6) Pour in broth/water (1 -3 cups, depending on taste and amount of meat)
7) Dump in veges
8) boil at low/low-medium heat with lid on for 30 minutes at least or until veges soften. You can boil longer if you want, doesn't really matter)
9) season with salt and pepper

Done!

It looks complicated, but really you just dump in the veges, season and boil the shit out of it. Easy way to prepare a lot of meat too.

Offline Jordan B

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:31:21 AM »
Nice recipes so far. are soy sauce and worcestershire paleo though?

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »
Yes, taco meat is ground beef, generally browned.
Potatoes aren't really paleo.

Offline Leland

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 11:31:58 AM »
Nice recipes so far. are soy sauce and worcestershire paleo though?
To be frank I doubt it. But a bit of seasoning isn't gonna affect you much imo, in terms of health. Just omit them if you don't want them.

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 12:00:56 PM »
My own Omelette

5 eggs
1/4 cup of milk
1/2 bell pepper (color is your choice)
1/2 tomato
A handful on spinach
2 stalks of asparagus
A bit of tarragon (depending on how much you like it.)

Heat a non stick pan to medium heat and put in spinach and asparagus to cook down (make sure they still remain green.) Once those two are cooked down, throw in the rest of the vegetables and allow to cook until warm. Crack the 5 eggs and whisk in bowl with 1/4 of a cup of milk and add tarragon and salt. Pour the eggs in the veggies and wait for the bottom to solidify, then flip the omelette and let cook on the other side. Once cooked sprinkle a little more salt on and enjoy.

I eat a lot of food.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »
I am currently stuffing a whole trout with Mango salsa. (Olive oil, fresh mango, jalapeños, onions, cucumber).  If this turns out well, I'll let you know.