Author Topic: Something I have noticed lately (Parkour "Purism")  (Read 10595 times)

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
Something I have noticed lately (Parkour "Purism")
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »
Whenever a Parkour/Free Running video is shown (with that in the title, I might add, though it still happens without it), people complain that there is less parkour in it and more flips; some even say it "fails" because of this. What I want to know is this:

Why are people suddenly caring so much about "pure" parkour and negatively criticizing others for having flips in their videos (even if it is a pure free running video)?

Also: People need to learn what tricking legitimately is. Many comments I see on youtube (and here) say that there is too much tricking in a video, but they talk about just flipping. Tricking is much more complicated than that; there is a reason it is called Martial Arts Tricking.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline J. Gabriel Alvarez Manilla

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Something I have noticed lately (Parkour "Purism")
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
I know what you mean. They're going like "flips are the result of commercialized parkour, urban freeflow screwed parkour up, and they are ALL bad" and stuff. Honestly, as long as I don't see too many urban gymnastics on it (gymnastics without mats or equipment), it's acceptable.
The Great Way is universal,
it can apply to the left or the right.
All beings depend on it for life,
and it does not refuse.

Offline Kauri

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
To be honest, I've always stuck to pure Parkour, but it's not like I condemn Freerunners because they do flips. I view it as a personal preferance on how one trains. If you're confidant to add tricking by all mean, please do, but it's not something I'm interested in at this time in my Parkour life
Zechariah 14:12
And the LORD will send a plague on all the nations that fought against Jerusalem. Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.

(Zombies)

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:07:11 PM »
If there has been an increase in negative comments about flips in videos (I wouldn't know), I would assume it's because there are now so many videos of people doing urban somersaults that they have lost all novelty value and people have realized that there is little intrinsic value to them. Videos of purposeful movement are far more rare and haven't lost the novelty value yet, so people still want to see more of that.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Anias Zig Zag Reed

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:13:46 PM »
This is my personal opinion so don't kill me....

Videos with flips bother me for some reason. I could never figure out why....however if someone wants to add flips into their parkour video by all means do so. Maybe some of the people are responding negatively due to several tricking videos being labeled as parkour/freerunning.
Dark Side Free Running

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 04:21:19 PM »
Because you're all being elitist.

Offline Anias Zig Zag Reed

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:23:35 PM »
Because you're all being elitist.

I am no elitist sir and I'm offended you would think I am.
Dark Side Free Running

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »
I can understand how seeing flips could get repetitive and lead to the desire of seeing more "pure" parkour videos, but I do not understand how it can lead to ridicule of doing flips.

Maybe some of the people are responding negatively due to several tricking videos being labeled as parkour/freerunning.

It is more of straight flips being called tricking instead of actual tricking movements being performed.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 04:32:39 PM »
I am no elitist sir and I'm offended you would think I am.

Lol, it's not addressed to you =P, it's riding on the assumption that purism is an issue for you.  If not, then the statement doesn't apply to you.

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 04:36:52 PM »
Lol, it's not addressed to you =P, it's riding on the assumption that purism is an issue for you.  If not, then the statement doesn't apply to you.

I would not say that purism itself is the issue, but the fact that it causes unnecessary and minuscule arguments between people who are on the same side.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
I would not say that purism itself is the issue, but the fact that it causes unnecessary and minuscule arguments between people who are on the same side.

Then they're not on the same side, are they?

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 04:38:31 PM »

Or they are, and this is just another case of the interwebz...
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »

The people arguing are on the same side because what they practice is really the same thing, only renamed. The only reason the arguers appear to be on different sides is because of the appearance of their opinions, which are often opposites by nature.

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »
The arguments have been going on forever, elitist saying freerunning is stupid etc. Honestly its probably a 12 year old armchair warrior in an outrage because your movements weren't efficient  :P but seriously I just choose to ignore the arguments and let the elitists duke it out online.
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Kauri

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »
My fiance and I had a problem similar to this a while back. In the past we had both practiced Tae Kwon Do, but at different schools. My school taught WTF (World Tae Kwon Do Federation), and her school taught ITF (International Tae Kwon Do Federation). For awhile we were going back and forth saying who's was better, but in the end we had reslized that the only real differance was in the forms taught, the fighting was still the same, as were the philosophical and disciplinary teachings. It's the same with Parkour and Freerunning. Sure somethings are different from one to the next, but we're all doing it to become better people in the end, or atleast I would hope...
Zechariah 14:12
And the LORD will send a plague on all the nations that fought against Jerusalem. Their people will become like walking corpses, their flesh rotting away. Their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will rot in their mouths.

(Zombies)

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 05:02:28 PM »
The people arguing are on the same side because what they practice is really the same thing, only renamed. The only reason the arguers appear to be on different sides is because of the appearance of their opinions, which are often opposites by nature.

I think we should all take a lesson from Gulliver's travels now.

Offline Anthony Ruiz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 05:08:12 PM »
again my views have changed over time of practice, I think we should all train what we are passionate about. Parkour is just the art of overcoming obstacles, choose that obstacle overcome it and inspire others to do the same when you do that there is nothing to argue about.
There is no reason to have a plan B, cause all it does is distract from plan A

Offline David C.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Some men just want to watch the world learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
Honestly, I think that the only reason their are flips on youtube videos is because of the fact that in the end, its YOUTUBE. You are most likely to get better reviews, more subscribers and comments that just boost your ego. I think that if there were to be a place that parkour videos were uploaded, there would be less moves that are less efficient to parkour, unless stated that its freerunning or tricking.

But seriously, why do we even have the categories, all they are are just dividers in the movement.

Offline Leland

• Patas
  • Be stronger then you were yesterday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »
Well, I don't mind flips, and I really admire people who do them, and I wish I could do them, but when I open a Parkour video and see a guy doing roundoff backtucks, front punch and a ton of other flips for 90% of the video, then throw in a kong in the middle of it, it does piss me off, because that isn't even freerunning, it's just doing a bunch of flips outside.

Offline J. Gabriel Alvarez Manilla

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 06:15:26 PM »
Well, I don't mind flips, and I really admire people who do them, and I wish I could do them, but when I open a Parkour video and see a guy doing roundoff backtucks, front punch and a ton of other flips for 90% of the video, then throw in a kong in the middle of it, it does piss me off, because that isn't even freerunning, it's just doing a bunch of flips outside.

My thoughts exactly.
The Great Way is universal,
it can apply to the left or the right.
All beings depend on it for life,
and it does not refuse.