Author Topic: A little game I like to play....  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Jim "Monkey" Parker

• Mangabey
  • I am a leaf on the wind...Watch how I soar...
    • View Profile
A little game I like to play....
« on: December 08, 2006, 12:56:41 PM »
Since I've been unable to get myself over to the Spot on Saturdays and get out of work too late to get to Boulder for the Tuesday jams, I've been looking around my surroundings and beginning to look at them through a Parkour lens...training is everywhere right?

So..as a school teacher, I walk outside to dismiss kids everyday at the end of classes. We stand out on these broad steps (about 6ft run and 6in rise on each step) One day I watched one of our students start at the bottom of the steps and broadjump his way up to the top. His teacher and I joined in and pretty soon we had a half-dozen kids trying their hand at making the jumps.

Since then we have been trying it each day as we head out for dismissal. It's killer jump training and a really fun game as we set different goals (max distance jump, fastest time up the stairs, shortest pause in between jumps). Some of the kids here will be great traceurs!!!

Anyway...just wanted to start a post to share..

What's your favourite little game?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step
-Japanese Proverb

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: A little game I like to play....
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 04:05:34 PM »
Cool, I didnt know you were a teacher. Elementary I assume? That must be a lot of fun to jump around with them, I would love to start teaching some kids parkour. I've worked as a summer sports camp coach/director the past 3 summers.

Hmm, I do all kinds of little games like that. Some of the best include just balancing along curbs and such. Another great one is the lava game. Pretend the ground is lava and there are only certain obstacles or portions of the ground that are safe. You can come up with some very challenging courses to do.

Offline Darkhorizont

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: A little game I like to play....
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 09:56:09 AM »
cool, i've always been a fan of tag