Author Topic: APK Forum Ambassador Program  (Read 27359 times)

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
Re: APK Forum Ambassador Program
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23:47 AM »
You're right Kendall, APK shouldn't have to give things away for people to do their jobs. Instead, try not to think of it as payment for doing your job, instead as an appreciation gift. And this system makes for an organized way to do that.

This is gonna be a strange analogy, but think of it this way. Most parents give their young kids prizes for completing their schooling (when they are young), or candy for every time they don't use their diapers :P You should do that anyways right? Then why do parents give them candy?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:02:58 AM by Steve Leifheit »
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 08:29:26 AM »
A title and a few perks mean nothing.  All it takes is a little time and effort to say what you need to, to help someone new out, to make the forums a nice and welcoming place, to extend a helping hand, to teach others what you know...

I like the idea Andy, but overall I think this should be unnecessary.  It will probably be helpful with the influx of new practicioners as M2 said, but still; I think it'd be even cooler if everyone on the forums agreed to help out wherever they could (as if most of them dont already).  But of course I'm a carebear dreaming of a brighter future. If anyone wants me, the PM button is under my name, and feel free to use it to ask for my cell number.  But seriously, keep the rewards to yourself.  You shouldn't be rewarded for what you should be doing anyways.

BUT KENDALL ...  free stuff ! =3

---

No seriously I agree, but I disagree that people should be doing it as some type of moral obligation.

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 08:39:57 AM »
Sadly, that's not how it happens Kendall. I know there are a lot of us that help out how we can and we don't want anything in return except knowing that our community is better for it, but as we all see, that leaves a lot of unnecessary "Use the search button" posts and Mods having to move lots of threads. I'm sure most of the people applying are already the ones that have been helping out where they can and asking for nothing in return anyways.

I agree with you though, this probably wouldn't be necessary if it weren't for Jump City.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 08:44:06 AM »
You're right Kendall, APK shouldn't have to give things away for people to do their jobs. But whats wrong with a little incentive? Try not to think of it as payment for doing your job, instead as an appreciation gift. And this system makes for an organized way to do that.

The stuff in red sounds terrible... no offense; the stuff in blue is better.
I think I would agree with the idea more if Andy didnt throw that edit in. This 'program' will really point out those who are comitted to helping anyone on the forums.  I may have condisered throwing my name up for consideration until that edit made this something I stand against.  The people who will be signing up are the ones who wont ask for anything in return, they truly just want to help. But I refuse to support something that goes against my beliefs. Dan is right, it shouldn't really be a moral obligation that everyone must obide by, but it's something I'd like to, and that I try to, follow.

Sadly, that's not how it happens Kendall. I know there are a lot of us that help out how we can and we don't want anything in return except knowing that our community is better for it

*sigh* one can only dream...
.:Don't think about it. Just do it:.
[ My Facebook ]
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Shyam Subramanian

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »
Actualy super honestly didn't even know there was a reward till I saw the last few posts haha.
CTPK -|Trumbull Parkour|-

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 08:53:20 AM »
Actualy super honestly didn't even know there was a reward till I saw the last few posts haha.

I'm figuring most people are in the same boat as you, which is why it isnt a terrible idea.  I'm just a stubborn wannabe activist =P
[ My Facebook ]
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 08:54:44 AM »
I'm figuring most people are in the same boat as you, which is why it isnt a terrible idea.  I'm just a stubborn wannabe activist =P

Nothing wrong with that... I suppose.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 09:07:02 AM »
The stuff in red sounds terrible... no offense; the stuff in blue is better.

Fixed

Why don't you apply, and if you get it, ask them not to give you the "appreciation gift". Everyone could do that if it bothers you guys that much. But...Andy said you would be "rewarded", and for those of you who get accepted and want to be, you will. 

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:25:44 AM by Steve Leifheit »

It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Nick Briseno

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 09:20:27 AM »
same here. parkour for me isnt about the money or the reward. there have been times when someone tried to pay me for helping them learn and i refused. i just want other people to have the same passion for moving as i do.
Do or Do not. There is no try.

Offline Kendy

• I Violate Your Mind
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The Parkour Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 09:24:57 AM »
good, than I'm happy the people who are applying have applied
[ My Facebook ]

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 10:03:26 AM »
pm application sent  ;D

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »
Forum Name: FreeStyleFox
Email: dale@americanparkour.com  *parkour related emails only*
Freestylefox@gmail.com **All other emails.
Cell Number:  (765) 536-9275
Training Experience: 6 years
Why you would be a super awesome Ambassador: Because I am FreeStyleFox thats why!!  =P  But I have been on the forum and a mod for ages.  As well as training and teaching parkour for years.  Also I have to much free time.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »
PS Good idea Andy.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to help ya out.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »
Sounds cool, but I dont have enough training experience. Maybe there should be an "APK Missionary", to spread the word of parkour, go to sites, edit wikipedia facts e.t.c  :P

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 06:12:04 PM »
Note to Andy: Phone is broke, number is the same though. Getting a new one in a few in case you try calling/texting.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 06:39:18 PM »
Really? Andy wants to give people an unnamed something (maybe it was a special icon) for helping out ... and you get all "do it for the love" nazi on him? What is wrong with a little incentive? People do things for all kinds of reasons, why are your reasons better than anyone else's? Is offering incentive for people to be extra helpful really such a terrible thing that it's worth arguing? Wanting to be an activist is fine, but what are you fighting against really?

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 06:43:01 PM »
Really? Andy wants to give people an unnamed something (maybe it was a special icon) for helping out ... and you get all "do it for the love" nazi on him? What is wrong with a little incentive? People do things for all kinds of reasons, why are your reasons better than anyone else's? Is offering incentive for people to be extra helpful really such a terrible thing that it's worth arguing? Wanting to be an activist is fine, but what are you fighting against really?

She thinks people would only be doing it for the incentive, and give mediocre or bad help, only putting in minimal effort.  Since these ambassadors are representatives of the community, it could put apk in a negative light.

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 06:46:44 PM »
I can understand her fear, but we have to remember who is screening these applications.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 06:49:35 PM »
I can understand her fear, but we have to remember who is screening these applications.

This is also true.

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 06:55:05 PM »

I know what you mean, its not worth people pushing their beliefs on others. But if people would be the most happy by doing it without an incentive, is that a bad thing? And the same goes for those who would like the prize. If people don't want the prize, cool, and if they do, cool.

Am I right on that?