Author Topic: How to make a good parkour video?  (Read 11743 times)

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: How to make a good parkour video?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 08:10:47 AM »
How to make a good video?

Be good at what you do. The rest will just fall into place.

That's not necessarily true. You can be the best actor in the world, but a bad director and script could mess up everything.

tumadre

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
Alec, DaveS and S Leger you helped me alot thanks :)

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 08:41:45 PM »
A good video is usually based around a song. What I normally do, is listen to songs I like and think of if they would be good for a video. I visualize moves and runs that I can do to this music, and then I film. Get as much footage as possible. For big productions, the rule of thumb is for every hour of footage you get, there is 1 minute of usable edited footage in there. Thats not completely true with short clips that you stop and start, but its still attention getting. Get LOTS of footage, it edits down quickly. You can film it as if its a single run, so I normally film it in order to make production easier. That way you just need to clip off the beginning and end of the clips, and they are already in order.

During editing, remove ANY unnecessary footage. I dont want to see you walking away from the camera, lining up, and running to an obstacle. That clip should start with you mid-run as if its a continuance from the previous clip. Once youre done with the first attempt, watch it a few times, sleep on it, watch it again in the morning to make sure you like it and are proud of it before releasing.

Also, use a decent camera. No cell phone videos (unless that phone has a decent camera on it that shoots HD). I wont even watch a video that's not HD anymore :P

Hope this helps!

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »
A good Parkour video is not one that entertains, it's not one that inspires people to make their own videos, it's one that inspires people to practice Parkour. For this, it needs to show you being challenged and also show you getting past the challenges. It needs to show you facing an obstacle that will challenge you, it needs to show how you prepare to try and get past it, it needs to show your attempts, and it needs to show you successfully getting past it in the end.
For the most part, I think the recommendations I made were independent of what kind of video someone is trying to make. I'd also make the argument to you that entertaining videos only make something you suggest even more effective. You could do what you say but display it in a really poor way, such that it wouldn't be "effective." Still though, I agree with you... that's my favorite kind of video too and what it aims to do is a great reason to make a video in the first place.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.