Author Topic: G4 Tv Show Jump City: Seattle (add your reviews of the show)  (Read 112632 times)

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
Re: G4 Tv Show Jump City: Seattle (add your reviews of the show)
« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2011, 03:09:55 PM »
Lol I saw M2 help Levi into the van when he broke his wrist........just think about that sentence.....it sounds wrong XD
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #521 on: March 10, 2011, 10:45:36 PM »
Actually, it should just be team choreography, not single person runs. The performance they did on Conan O'Brien was awesome! It should be just like that. That would play into the team aspect really well too. The freestyle part would kinda be like americas best dance crew, or the video part of ultimatepkchallenge. They could show the teams preparation for their run, and then have them perform it for the scoring.

That's a ridiculously awesome idea.  I don't know if the logistics would allow for it, but I sure hope so.  It would be a great way to reinforce the team idea by showcasing how each team works together.

Offline Joseph Gorman Pugh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Vaulting things in ridiculous looking hats!
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 11, 2011, 07:41:04 AM »
Issues like flips, freerunning, competition, commercialization, even the definition, these things have simple, clear answers, and it's not helping anyone to pretend that these answers don't exist.

I do not agree with this at all, the difference between you and me is I couldn't care less if you believe that, practice Parkour your way, I only have an issue when you come try to push your ideals on other people and tell them HOW to practice Parkour and WHY they should  practice it. Which seems to be your general theme considering every single posts of yours is. Blah blah I am right you are wrong and if you think you are right then you are deluded blah blah.

Feel free to post these *clear answers* and I will gladly provide counter points for them.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:50:21 AM by Joseph Gorman Pugh »
As long as its about movement, there is no right or wrong answers to what Parkour is.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 12, 2011, 07:14:13 AM »
Yea, I mean that choreography should be an integral part of the comp. I know they definitely didn't have time in this season. I think each freerunner should be required to choreograph, kinda as if it was a dance competition, so if you didn't choreograph you would obviously lose. I just think it would be WAY BETTER for the sake of entertainment, and I think the guys would like it more.
The judging criteria already exactly match those of a dance competition. Isn't it a dance competition currently?

The movements and the obstacles are not specific to Parkour. What part of it makes it a Parkour competition and not dance?

I only have an issue when you come try to push your ideals on other people and tell them HOW to practice Parkour and WHY they should  practice it. Which seems to be your general theme considering every single posts of yours is. Blah blah I am right you are wrong and if you think you are right then you are deluded blah blah.
You're partially right there, I do indeed tell people how to practice Parkour. Far from being a problem, though, that is essential help. Every practitioner needs to be told what Parkour is and how to practice it at some point, otherwise they have no way of understanding the discipline. The discipline of Parkour is a man-made concept, it is an idea that needs to be passed on from one person to another. That's why there is a need for Parkour coaches and others with a good understanding.
However, I have never tried to push my deals onto others. I think Parkour is a positive influence, and I do try and enable as many people as possible to practice it, but I never try and tell people how to think, or what to believe. I concentrate on making sure people have accurate information, because that is what I believe will enable them to make the best decision for themselves.

I do not agree with this at all, the difference between you and me is I couldn't care less if you believe that, practice Parkour your way,
If that is indeed the difference between you and me then so be it. You're right, I do care what other people believe, and I consider it an integral part of having compassion for others. You can't help others without caring about them, so I welcome the accusation that I care what other people do and what they believe.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Mr.WWII

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Do what you can't, Parkour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 12, 2011, 01:36:39 PM »
The judging criteria already exactly match those of a dance competition. Isn't it a dance competition currently?

I'm not talking about what it should be called or what kind of competition it is though. I'm just saying choreographed team performances would be far more entertaining and fulfilling for the performers than would solo improv runs. And it wouldn't be like a dance competition because it wouldn't be to music, it'd be more like an acrobatics competition or something

Offline Grant (LOTRFreak993)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 12, 2011, 09:46:31 PM »
@Grant - It's a local term of Tempest, and as Brady is closely connected with Tempest - well, that's where it comes from :)

There are actually dialects in move names, from the larger French - Anglo split in 2003 (Start of UF), To some names of moves used commonly by Team Tempest, places like Miami (and especially Spider) have their own names for a lot of moves - it's just how things developed. There are probably also names in gymnastics and tricking for moves which are commonly used in parkour and freerunning (for example, most of the "vaults" that we use have proper names in gymnastics) - however since many of the people doing parkour that started to discuss these things in English were not trained gymnasts (or didn't care to hold traditional names) these names have not been carried over. In Texas, they use names for moves that seem to be more "translated French" than "Anglicized".

So yeah, that's why :P

10PU
Thanks, I figured it was just that they decided to call it something else. I just wasn't aware of the reason why they cose that. I hadn't heard of Brady until this show. So know I see he is pretty close to tempest, so it makes sense : )

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 16, 2011, 07:54:06 AM »
Okay, I'm going to be absolutely honest here, I haven't read all the posts leading up to this. But that's probably for the best because I just wanted to say what made me want to do this in the first place without really trying to prove anything or argue with anyone.

I got into parkour not because it was a competitive sport, or even because I wanted to do it professionally. When I started training YouTube didn't even exist yet. I just heard about it and then started doing it, for no other reason than I liked the idea of it, or at least the limited concept that I got in my head from seeing it on Ripley's Believe it or Not. But what kept me going wasn't anyone else's description, definition, or explanation. I've met David Belle, I've traveled with Sebastien Foucan, I've trained on almost every continent, I've heard every philosophy, attitude, and argument. But none of them are why I do it. I do it because I want to. I like to look at a situation and see myself in it. "How do I do that? How do I get from here to there? What can I do here?" These are the motivators of my training. Working to develop myself as a human being, exploring what I'm capable of. One day a person asked me if I wanted to test myself, to see how fast I could be, how creative I could be, and to top it off I could bring my friends. I don't care what anyone else would have said because I said yes. I do parkour, I am driven by personal challenges and this was an opportunity to test the two skills I have worked most diligently in my life to develop, my ability to move and my ability to be creative. No one made me do any crazy tricks, no one made me flip off a building, I was able to do and say whatever I wanted. I was able to be competitive again some of the biggest most impressive freerunning I have ever seen by just move around and having as much fun as I could, I don't think I ever did anything from over six feet high. So no, this was not parkour as we train it, as it is at a jam, or what we talk about in the forums. This was something different, it was an opportunity, one that I know at least I am grateful for, to challenge myself, to push myself, to explore and experience what we are all capable of, and to show the world what all of us have been doing, training to be able to do, to give the people that have only ever seen YouTube videos or the Office a sense of what people are really able to do with their bodies and their minds. To me that's worth it. To me that's why I train, not for any other reason other than the simple fact that I can, because nobody is making me do this, no one is standing behind me telling me I need to stick that landing one more time before I can go home, it's just me, it's my voice, and that makes it my decision. And I made it and I'd make the same one again.

That is all. Also I love you. :P

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 16, 2011, 09:16:27 AM »
Okay, I'm going to be absolutely honest here, I haven't read all the posts leading up to this. But that's probably for the best because I just wanted to say what made me want to do this in the first place without really trying to prove anything or argue with anyone.

I got into parkour not because it was a competitive sport, or even because I wanted to do it professionally. When I started training YouTube didn't even exist yet. I just heard about it and then started doing it, for no other reason than I liked the idea of it, or at least the limited concept that I got in my head from seeing it on Ripley's Believe it or Not. But what kept me going wasn't anyone else's description, definition, or explanation. I've met David Belle, I've traveled with Sebastien Foucan, I've trained on almost every continent, I've heard every philosophy, attitude, and argument. But none of them are why I do it. I do it because I want to. I like to look at a situation and see myself in it. "How do I do that? How do I get from here to there? What can I do here?" These are the motivators of my training. Working to develop myself as a human being, exploring what I'm capable of. One day a person asked me if I wanted to test myself, to see how fast I could be, how creative I could be, and to top it off I could bring my friends. I don't care what anyone else would have said because I said yes. I do parkour, I am driven by personal challenges and this was an opportunity to test the two skills I have worked most diligently in my life to develop, my ability to move and my ability to be creative. No one made me do any crazy tricks, no one made me flip off a building, I was able to do and say whatever I wanted. I was able to be competitive again some of the biggest most impressive freerunning I have ever seen by just move around and having as much fun as I could, I don't think I ever did anything from over six feet high. So no, this was not parkour as we train it, as it is at a jam, or what we talk about in the forums. This was something different, it was an opportunity, one that I know at least I am grateful for, to challenge myself, to push myself, to explore and experience what we are all capable of, and to show the world what all of us have been doing, training to be able to do, to give the people that have only ever seen YouTube videos or the Office a sense of what people are really able to do with their bodies and their minds. To me that's worth it. To me that's why I train, not for any other reason other than the simple fact that I can, because nobody is making me do this, no one is standing behind me telling me I need to stick that landing one more time before I can go home, it's just me, it's my voice, and that makes it my decision. And I made it and I'd make the same one again.

Im gonna do 20 PU for this. and thanks frosti for your input it is well appreciated
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 16, 2011, 12:00:35 PM »
This was something different, it was an opportunity ... to give the people that have only ever seen YouTube videos or the Office a sense of what people are really able to do with their bodies and their minds.
Would you mind a couple of questions?

How much of Parkour's mental development do you think this programme shows?

Do you think that there are any aspects of the show that limit how much 'real Parkour' is shown?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:47:21 PM by DaveS »
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

matcauthon12

« Reply #529 on: March 16, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »
I also have a question, why didn't you pick your hat back up when it fell off during your run?! How dare you sully the name of parkour like that.

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 16, 2011, 01:28:31 PM »

<3 Thanks for the input.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
  • "Practice makes perfect"
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 16, 2011, 01:49:45 PM »
HOLY CRAP GUYS

did you SEE frosti's EPIC final stride in episode 1???

HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!

Offline bryan

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 16, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »
yeah, but that was so long ago i cant remember! :D
listen to my music at soundcloud

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 16, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »

Sweet I head about parkour the same way Frosti did. (I just didn't start right then) I'm really glad to hear your input Frosti. That was awesome. Also props to Jereme Sanders for making that gap. Great mental and physical victory there.   

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #534 on: March 16, 2011, 10:45:51 PM »
I heart you Frosti...

I did want to say that it bothered me a little seeing Caine push himself while injured on the last episode.  While I appreciated the heart he showed, I did feel like he put himself at risk, and that it wasn't the best message to send to the audience.  Hopefully there will be a next season, and hopefully each team can have 5 team members, or call in reserves if someone is injured.  I know everyone put safety as the number one priority, it just bummed me out a little.  I still like the show overall and love you guys... just wanted to drop my $0.02 on that...

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
« Reply #535 on: March 17, 2011, 02:52:55 PM »

This defiantly the most inspiring thing I have ever heard Frosti. You've helped me overcome what made me quit parkour two times, and that's to do what I want to do and not to try to impress others. I almost quit again, but now, I understand, thank you Frosti.
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #536 on: March 17, 2011, 03:27:55 PM »
Nick, I think you mean definitely, not defiantly. (déjà vu?)

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #537 on: March 17, 2011, 09:54:32 PM »
1) Latest episode proves that we should all work on our sprinting/running abilities.

2) Two years ago I wrote the first 'Forgotten Movements' article about Hurdling. http://americanparkour.com/component/content/article/72-other-parkour-movements/3392-the-forgotten-movements-vol-1-hurdling
And what did Frosti do to help seal the win in the speed round? HURDLE! Get out there and practice your steps people!

3) Massive props to Orosco and Skipper for their incredible sudden death runs. The double kong was great and the huge twists off the rooftops were impressive.

4) Is there any way to give each competitor two freestyle runs instead of one? I feel that having only one chance puts too much pressure on the runners, especially since most are used to filming and doing moves dozens of times before nailing it the way they want. Maybe do 'best of two' like snowboarding or something.

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 18, 2011, 05:31:13 AM »
After seeing ep5, I noticed that Sudden Death was basically a one on one freestyle round. This is fine and all, but it seems some teams are stronger with speed and with creativity. So, what if for sudden death there was a random choice between a speed round or a freestyle round. The judges would choose it behind the scenes and announce the choice, maybe even with some build up to make it more exciting. If the freestyle round was choosen, then it would be like how SD is now.

But if Speed was choosen, one from each team would run the whole course or a segment, and then whoever had the best time would win the round. It would be really cool to see both competators run the course at the same time, but perhaps more dangerous.

But, yeah. That would be cool.  :)
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #539 on: March 18, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »
OK.  I've held off for some time when it came to posting on this issue, and I think that it's a good thing I did. 

I will begin by saying that I'm in a good position to talk about this.  Due to my work with APK I know a few things about the show's production, but I also am pretty much oblivious to the outcome of the competition.  As a result, I get the benefits of asking people behind the scenes of the show questions AND I get to see the production with fresh eyes!

I've basically stopped reading a lot of the forum stuff--doing my best more than ever focusing on training and work--so I apologize if I step on anyone's points with this. 

First, The good from the show: 

There's been a lot of emphasis on "safety" that I've liked.  I appreciate the moments when you get to see people like M2 step in and call off a run because the environment was too risky for the athletes.  I've seen some of the posts people have make on APK's Facebook site about how "ooh I'm not going to watch that show because all they talk about in the clips is how dangerous Parkour is."  WATCH THE REST OF THE SHOW BEFORE YOU MAKE A JUDGMENT LIKE THIS.  The coordinators and producers focus on safety so much that I can't help but beam with pride.

I like that the show focuses on a team aspect.  Yes, Parkour is a personal journey, but how many times do we see teams step up and produce videos?  Who are the most recognizable figures in Parkour?  People on teams, and the "team" dynamic of how traceurs and freerunners help each other is nice to see instead of an out and out "competition" like MTV'S UPC. Keeping the teams together instead of making this a group of "all-stars" makes it feel more real too--yes, it's nice to see Livewire, Oleg, and Danny Ilabaca on the same show, but getting to view the camaraderie of all the participants--so much better. 

I love the out and out positive vibe everybody puts out.  Skipper going to hug Brian Orosco at the end of his 9.0 run this week was great.   Every time I've seen a competition, the person who ends up talking the most trash is Frosti--and I think that's because he's not afraid of a soundbyte and he knows how to use TV time to his advantage.  So be it--shine on, brother--I think Frosti needs to go to the WWE for a few weeks and teach wrestlers how to do interviews.  He's that good. 

Team Rogue--Outstanding idea to take guys who weren't really affiliated as a team and spotlight them.  There's a lot of good guys out there like Dylan Baker and Jake Smith who haven't really had a chance to shine in the spotlight on a national television stage.  Jake in particular is a stand-up guy and I like seeing him get this chance. 

The judging criteria seems far more solid than MTV's UPC.  I get the feeling that the producers and people in creative for this show really took their time to analyze everything the UPC did WRONG in this area and tried to fix it as best they could. 

The mini video packages on everybody are great.  Orosco's Tuesday was HILARIOUS.  "What makes NoSole?  A nice fruit salad before every match."

NO ANDY BELL!!!  Love, LOVE, LOVE no Andy Bell.  That guy needs to go crawl in a hole somewhere and never come back out. 

And the time slot is great too...very nicely promoted by G4.  Finally a network that gets it. 

The areas that need improvement are few and far between, but here's some things I'd like to see change between now and Season 2:

1. The commentators need to be changed.  Sometimes it feels like they're lost in what they're doing.  I'm also not too much of a fan of people like Brady Romberg--Luci Steel's brother--trashing the abilities of athletes in this competition.  Saying that somebody has no flow is one thing, but saying guys like Travis Noble Graves and Skipper "have no flow," "look lost on the course," and "just aren't doing what the judges need to see."  That's a Walter Tango Foxtrot moment from someone who should KNOW better.  Are they trying to create stories for this show? 

2.  The Tribe bashing is getting old.  While I happen to know one of the crucial players in Jump City: Seattle is Tribe-affiliated and therefore the commentators can't necessarily put them over too much, I'm getting sick of Tempest being treated like "the favorites" and Rogue being such "brave heroes" while Blair Herter and Brady Romberg paint the Tribe as a bunch of old dogs to the art who just aren't in touch with the way things are now.  THIS COULD NOT BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH, and it's disheartening to see the commentators do what they're doing. 

3. MERCH, PEOPLE, MERCH!!!  I'd plunk down good money for a Tribe and a Tempest jersey, and possibly even the matching track suits that the guys get to wear if there's a season 2.  G4 is missing out on a huge cash cow here. 

4. The finals for Season 2 NEED to be live, with an audience in attendance.  I don't care if you sell tickets, give them away through G4's contests, whatever--but the finals need to be a live even on G4 instead of previously taped.

5.  This is a minor quibble, but I'd really like to know who the judges are and what their qualifications are.  At least give us their names.  When other competitions have judges that score the participants we get to at least get some names.  What's wrong with that here?

End rant.  My $.02.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.