Author Topic: Soooo, New year. New commitments (possibly to up my spelling skills.)  (Read 1320 times)

wlf

So along with cutting down on my habit of swearing i was thinking of straight edge, now it would be incredibly easy for me to do right now. My school is very very good with it's control on drugs smoking etc. soo it wouldnt be very hard now. However, being straight edge now would probably help me later in life when there are more drugs and alcohol. I know that given the chance and a lapse of judgment i'd probably fall really hard into those things, soo having straight edge to fall back on seems like a good idea. What chu guys think?

Offline Adam C

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I jump over stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Soooo, New year. New commitments (possibly to up my spelling skills.)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 06:58:12 PM »
I think that you're definitely onto something. Going straight-edge is an incredibly good idea. I'm assuming that you're a teenaged guy, so consider how going straight-edge would contrast you with your peers and with your stereotype: how many guys at your school DON'T swear? Bringing discipline to your lifestyle is not something that you use as a "fallback"; it's step forward to a "stronger you."
The sooner that you strengthen your morals and self control, the more resistant you'll be to temptations in the future.
"Hi! I'm Mark Toorock from American Parkour. Today, we're going to be showing you parkour."

I will crush my mental blocks into a fine powder, and then I will construct a fabulous Zen garden.

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
  • "Practice makes perfect"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »
Becoming a better person ftfw

EDIT:  Also, My resolution is to HTFU

wlf

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 07:39:54 PM »
Hmmm. Why not. i'm gonna go for it.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 07:46:03 PM »

Absolutely man. I respect you so much for this! I decided not to do drugs or alcohol or smoking when I was a few years younger, and I am so grateful I made that decision early. If I'd gotten into the habit of it now, I'm not sure I'd be able to pull out. It's definitely worth it. A clean lifestyle is very rewarding.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 08:09:53 PM »
Man, stright-edge for the win!!!  I did it a few years back for Muay Thai, and I have become a stronger person because of it.  The other thing, that we have to consider, is that vices are simply more obstacles.  What are we to do with things in the way, but get over them. :)
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 03:04:07 AM »
Do it, but don't judge others who don't.  You never know what people have been through, or what their struggles are.  Drug addiction is a horrible experience for the addict, the family, and the friends.  Bad juju all around.

Technically "Straight Edge" means no smoking, no drugs (alcohol is a drug), and no promiscuous/meaningless sex.  It's also a wonderful song by Minor Threat, one of the greatest bands of all time.

Offline D. Hadzic

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 04:11:52 AM »
Workout related, my goals are to get fit enough to handle Cross-fit, and stay that fit.
I'm generally fit, but if I don't feel like exercising, I wont, and I don't reach my potential as a result.

I hope to send more gifts and letters to family back home as well. Procrastination is really a bother.....
Don't just go running, go running with "style"

Offline Anias Zig Zag Reed

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 07:04:49 AM »

That's amazing bro. Seriously. Going straight edge isn't always easy to do, but the rewards of a clean lifestyle are amazing.
Dark Side Free Running

Offline Ethan Nicholson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 08:15:40 PM »
I'll probably look like a dick for disagreeing, but in my opinion it seriously isn't all that it's cut out to be. Grouping smoking, drinking, drugs, and casual sex can be done if you are going to just classify them all as 'bad' things and throw them away, but they're entirely different and doing so can be pretty restrictive. For example, you don't NEED to do any of those things, and you don't need a label to stop you from doing them. You say you haven't been doing them already, so surely you can understand that it's your personal choice to restrain yourself, and not making it such a massive emphasis in your life that is stopping you?

For example, when I was straight edge, I was already restraining from all of the things the straight edge lifestyle opposes, but decided to do it as a way to make it more 'official'. Over time, when I could have been experimenting around with just drinking, I was so obsessed with the idea of staying straight edge that I was refusing anything remotely considered bad for your body. It felt so restricting, and I'm sure that this feeling of restriction is what caused me to stop being straight edge.

A label isn't really the strongest thing in the world. If you don't want to do those things then don't, but restricting yourself from experimenting with any of them for the rest of your life is not necessarily a good thing to do, even if you consider some of the things to be bad.

wlf

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 09:17:49 PM »
A label isn't really the strongest thing in the world. If you don't want to do those things then don't, but restricting yourself from experimenting with any of them for the rest of your life is not necessarily a good thing to do
Experimenting for me will lead me into all sorts of bad stuff, for instance im slightly self destructive by nature (dont know why i just am)  Usually from my observations self destruction, alcohol, and drugs never really mix well. I'd rather keep the last two out of the mix, period at all costs. Straight edge is one of the very many ways but also one of the best ways to do that and i'll stick with it.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 05:32:03 PM »
True.  I attended 2 funerals for close friends who were self-destructive and into drugs hard.  Why limit your experimentation to drug use when that's really been tested pretty well?  Experiment with something that might actually do some real good for this world.  I hear Ghandi did good with passive resistance...might try to push that frontier rather than simply smoking crank out of a lightbulb. :)
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »
I'll probably look like a dick for disagreeing, but in my opinion it seriously isn't all that it's cut out to be. Grouping smoking, drinking, drugs, and casual sex can be done if you are going to just classify them all as 'bad' things and throw them away, but they're entirely different and doing so can be pretty restrictive. For example, you don't NEED to do any of those things, and you don't need a label to stop you from doing them. You say you haven't been doing them already, so surely you can understand that it's your personal choice to restrain yourself, and not making it such a massive emphasis in your life that is stopping you?

For example, when I was straight edge, I was already restraining from all of the things the straight edge lifestyle opposes, but decided to do it as a way to make it more 'official'. Over time, when I could have been experimenting around with just drinking, I was so obsessed with the idea of staying straight edge that I was refusing anything remotely considered bad for your body. It felt so restricting, and I'm sure that this feeling of restriction is what caused me to stop being straight edge.

A label isn't really the strongest thing in the world. If you don't want to do those things then don't, but restricting yourself from experimenting with any of them for the rest of your life is not necessarily a good thing to do, even if you consider some of the things to be bad.
So it isn't a good thing to not get high? To not go on a trip? To not get diseases? To not potentially getting messed up?
Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

wlf

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 07:36:21 PM »
I hear Ghandi did good with passive resistance...might try to push that frontier rather than simply smoking crank out of a lightbulb.
WIN