Author Topic: a Year of parkour: 365/52 pk project  (Read 63695 times)

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
  • jimmy -Temecula Parkour
    • View Profile
Re: a Year of parkour: 365/52 pk project
« Reply #440 on: January 04, 2012, 05:51:37 PM »
Good Question Alert   look over this incase you have the same questions.  :P

You're still at it!? :) Beast, bro. I hope you keep it up!
I'm trying this ordeal out. I have a few questions, if you don't mind.
Well, here we go:
1) How did you keep fresh with practices? (Awkward wording, lol) Like. How did you keep all your ideas of what to do original and not practice repetitive things often?
2) Time. I have high school, and a job at Kroger -.- sometimes i feel like it's gonna be extremely difficult to get a practice in.
3) on rest days, or just light days in general, when you can't go out and practice, how would you suggest we condition?

Sorry. Lol Thank you in advance. :)

well for keeping fresh ( lol ) i try to set goals of stuff i cant do yet. and i try to train with people who are more skilled than i am everyone in a while so i can see how they move and if it gives me ideas, like sometimes ill forget about 360 precisions or kong-pass's

I was in High school with a job when i started this too, you just have to take it day by day, and if you ever run out of time, just do some conditioning/handstants/kip up training in your room  OR try to kill it through out your day. one time during class i was excused to go to the "restroom"  but i was really just out on a PK session for 5 minutes haha

and for light days, work on flow or rail balance, or go for a run or do something like rock climbing or swimming. just do something. also if your are ever sore, or your knees hurt or something, going for a swim or a light jog will do Wonders =D   
-insert something insperational here- 

Temecula Parkour + youtube = goodtime

Offline Dustin Combs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 04, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
Haha, thanks for that :P And sorry again about all those >_>

Fair enough. Haha. How would you get the courage to throw a new trick? Just go for it? Haha.

And for the rest, thank you :) your answers really help to guide me :3 thank youuu.

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 05, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
depended on what trick it was. like on a wall front flip for example, i drilled it in the gym and got it down, and when i took it out side i know i was nt going to hit the wall, or severally under rotate, the worst thing would have been i land kindof on my butt over some grass.  so i just did it.

but for a move like a cast away  (back flip from a cast on a highbar)   i did it a MILLION times at the gym, then went to the beach to do it over sand, and drilled it some more, and finally did it over wood chips

just train it in a safe location until you know you have it down safe enough to try it   

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 08, 2012, 12:19:07 AM »
day 380   once i counted it alll out

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #444 on: January 08, 2012, 01:08:23 AM »
1) How did you keep fresh with practices? (Awkward wording, lol) Like. How did you keep all your ideas of what to do original and not practice repetitive things often?
2) Time. I have high school, and a job at Kroger -.- sometimes i feel like it's gonna be extremely difficult to get a practice in.
3) on rest days, or just light days in general, when you can't go out and practice, how would you suggest we condition?

Jimmy had really good answers, but I wanted to add a couple thoughts to this.

1) Train with others, take classes, play games like add-on/follow the leader/10-second drill, pick a skill and focus a whole session around it, etc.  Also, if you totally run out of ideas, ask people here or check out the DemonDrills channel on YouTube.

2) I go to college full-time, work at an afterschool program for students with developmental disabilities, and I'm the director of my program at a gymnastics gym.  I've trained everyday for awhile now, going on around 8-9 months I think, though I haven't kept track.  My program at the gym is expanding and performing well, I'm mastering new skills every week, and I got a 3.89 fall semester, in upper-division courses with notoriously difficult professors.  You can do more than you think you can.  Engage boss mode.

3) Hand stands, break dancing skills, strength training, martial arts, light flow, balance training like rail walking or slacklining, foam rolling and stretching, and hiking are all things that I count as training in addition to acrobatics, freerunning, and parkour.  Be creative and flexible with your training and let yourself respond to how you feel every day without making excuses to avoid the things you don't prefer but need to train. 

Jimmy's suggestion about a light jog, at maybe 60-70% of your normal pace and distance, is spot-on for rest days, that will speed your recovery.  Throw in some foam rolling and stretching afterward and you'll be amazed how good you feel the next day.

Good luck.

And Jimmy, stay awesome.

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 14, 2012, 10:15:28 PM »
Good Tips Below!!

thanks brett

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 14, 2012, 10:17:55 PM »
omg.. so.. much.. parkour latley.. 

can't move, and i love it.

365 + 5 + 14 = DAY  384

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 19, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »
so i have put out a few videos recently   - one about my back yard set up, and one APK posted "Some where only we know know"

ive only not done parkour like 2 days so far this year, so progress is still going well

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 19, 2012, 11:41:08 PM »

Jimmy's suggestion about a light jog, at maybe 60-70% of your normal pace and distance, is spot-on for rest days, that will speed your recovery.  Throw in some foam rolling and stretching afterward and you'll be amazed how good you feel the next day.

What exactly would 60-70% of normal distance be? Since I don't jog I don't have a set distance. Would normal distance just be how far you can run until you have to stop?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #449 on: February 24, 2012, 12:57:50 AM »
2 miles tops, at a light pace.  Slow.

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: February 24, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »
Pffffttt I barely make it out of a mile alive. :P

But I think I get what you mean by the pace. Going fast enough just to be running rather than walking, am I right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline nghiavn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 01, 2012, 01:30:15 AM »
May I ask normally how much time does it take for you to warm up each training session?
Normally 1/3 of a weeks (5 days every 2 weeks) I am so busy with school co-curricular activities that im no more than 30min or 1hr free. Other than that I may be 2-3hrs free each day

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 04, 2012, 11:05:54 PM »
Pffffttt I barely make it out of a mile alive. :P

But I think I get what you mean by the pace. Going fast enough just to be running rather than walking, am I right?

Nick   try picking a spot to run to and back,  for example,  i run to this elementary school and do some light parkour then run back. it totals just about one mile.   you can run to a park, friends house (sneak some food form the fridge) a school, where ever!

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:49 PM »
May I ask normally how much time does it take for you to warm up each training session?
Normally 1/3 of a weeks (5 days every 2 weeks) I am so busy with school co-curricular activities that im no more than 30min or 1hr free. Other than that I may be 2-3hrs free each day

a lot of sessions i just start off with some small moves. Precisions, vaults, low impact stuff, anything to get my heart rate a little higher.  and after a few minutes im warm

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 05, 2012, 01:18:04 AM »
I kinda' do the same. Stretching doesn't completely do it for me so I do some basic vaults and things like that to get going. But thats just my way! =P

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 12, 2012, 07:16:43 PM »
i wonder how many 366ers there are out there

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 13, 2012, 02:07:13 AM »
37 in the group alone, but I know of and see others out there all the time over the interwebs. You could have started an army, Jimly!

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 26, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
Here is my latest video since my 365!   My first Tribe video =]

http://youtu.be/YPGCTeL9UhA

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 01, 2012, 09:20:37 PM »
Half way through the 2012 365 project, good job for those who took on the challenge!