Author Topic: self esteem petition i guess ?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Slifer_aru

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • if your afraid to fall you'll fall...
    • View Profile
self esteem petition i guess ?
« on: December 27, 2010, 12:11:56 PM »
ok, so ima keep this confidential, but basical the problem is me and some friends went to A JAM AND GOT THERE 2 HOURS EARLY, WE...< idk why thats caps... but basicaly we got there early and spent the two hours warming up with a pro, and doing some rockclimbing/parkour, then the rest of the people showed up and started doing some flips, (we personaly didnt know how to do flips and were just kinda observing, + we will be heading to a gym soon to learn some aerials. ) and then there was a incident where we (we were the least expeirienced ppl there )could not make a jump and most of the ppl couldnt anyways, but basicaly some talking behind backs was done, and our some ppl were saying that were not "traceurs" because we physicaly couldnt do some of the stuf, and were are pretty dang good for how long we have been doing it. but my friend is kinda taking it personaly and he agrees with them, but me, never have having a crap in someone elses opinion, i beleive that we made the right decision by not trying something we couldnt do, and that we will increase in skill the more we train, so idk just kinda makin me ticked so...venting anyone else think we should not listen to them or what? (they sayd that our team was a joke)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The person born with a talent they are meant to use will find their greatest happiness in using it.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'Johann Wolfgang von Goethe\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: self esteem petition i guess ?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:31:01 PM »
Naw I wouldn't listen to them, they were just being assholes. I doesn't matter if you can't do the same as them as long as your out there giving it your all that's all that matters.

Fyi the other guys are even more assholea if they didn't offer helpful hints if they saw you struggling
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:38:40 PM »
Yea that's really disappointing to hear. People need to realize it is not your physical ability that makes you a traceur or able to to parkour, it is your mindset. The fact that you were there, you've been training, and you got there 2 hours before everyone else clearly reveals your mindset. If your mindset is right, then the physical stuff is already there, it's already done. People just haven't seen it yet.

Ignore them.

they sayd that our team was a joke
Good thing that phrase makes no sense at all. Where was this jam? How many people were there? What community?

[unrelated]
went to A JAM AND GOT THERE 2 HOURS EARLY, WE...< idk why thats caps...
Umm... do you not have a backspace key?[/unrelated]
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline John George 'JG'

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Bloomsburg Parkour (Columbia County)
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 01:53:36 PM »
Who are the people? We will go there and tell them how much THEY suck. ;)
Parkour Endure founder - parkourendure.com
Lehigh Valley Parkour (member)
Level 1 ADAPT qualified instructor

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 05:54:22 PM »
f#ck the haters, do you.

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
I have been doing parkour for over 2 years now. There are many others I have seen and heard about that have a skill level much higher than my own. I have a very solid foundation on all the basic movements of parkour, but if you ask me to do anything large, like a kong to precision on a railing, a 12 foot wall run, a dead hang muscle up, a 9 foot standing precision, front flips, or back flips, I can say that I can't do any of those things yet.

Yet there are others who can do all of those things, and much more, even though they've trained the same amount of time as me or less.

Even with such a moderate skill level of mine, I'm one of the local community leaders in my area. I am definitely a traceur. Why is this? It's because I believe in doing parkour. Not being good at it. But rather, trying to become better at it. Trying to become a better person from it. It's my mindset that has gotten me where I am, and I'm happy with it. Sure, I wish I COULD do all those big moves I see others do. But that's motivation for me to train harder, and work my way up to that level. It may take longer for me than others, but I know that if I try hard enough, I will one day reach that level.

So don't think you're not a traceur even if you can't do all sorts of big, fancy moves. It's like Alec said, it's in your mindset.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Jerrel

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:53:15 PM »
Though what the 'traceurs' said those hateful, hurtful things,  I say keep your head up and use those hateful remarks as motivation. Don't over do it. And remember,  just have fun training anyway you want at your own pace.

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, had to type fast.

Offline Slifer_aru

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 09:26:13 PM »
thanks a bunch guys, honestly i have the same mindset as you guys, but i just wanted to show this to another traceur on my team who actualy beleived the crap they were sayin
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The person born with a talent they are meant to use will find their greatest happiness in using it.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
I can see how that can hurt man.  Do your best to brush it off.  If it is really that bad confront them about it, or bring a traceur with you that will.  Or just don't jam with them.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »
dont wanna kill bandwidth and peoples' computer so just read this post
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,30005.msg376512.html#msg376512
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline North

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 10:16:25 PM »
Good for you for not being pressured into doing stupid stuff. But you have to realize that you will never expand unless you get out of your comfort zone. I've been expanding my comfort zone in the gym but I keep it in check outside where you really can get hurt.

Offline Slifer_aru

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 07:58:56 AM »
yeah, yeah, i hear yeah, i actualy just learned my side, front and back flip on a trampoline yesterday, but the closest gym wont reopen for two weeks :/