Author Topic: kong starting ?  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Slifer_aru

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • if your afraid to fall you'll fall...
    • View Profile
kong starting ?
« on: December 25, 2010, 12:02:51 PM »
so, i can kong a good kong, but ive been told 'hopping' into your kong with both feet is not a good habit and you should run straight into it, how exactly should i progress 'running' into it ?
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The person born with a talent they are meant to use will find their greatest happiness in using it.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'Johann Wolfgang von Goethe\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'

midnight46

Re: kong starting ?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 12:48:31 PM »
i had the same problem and its not realy that the two foot take off is a problem its just that its better for higher or obstacles where youll need to get more vertical, while the split foot (which is what your refering to as running into it) is more for distance, how i learned was i watched a tutorial on split foot take offs and then i trained on a small obstacle approaching it very slowly and eventually youll progress enough so u can run straight into them

Offline Kim Martin

• Patas
  • More to see, More to do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 07:55:54 PM »
I'm just learning my kongs too. I think what they may be saying is you may be stalling your speed if you try to hop to a kong from a run. But hopping to a vault box or another obstacle just to learn the motions is good as a starting point

Offline jacob harris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:51:36 PM »
i have the same problem i like to mixs it between the two then pick witch one is more comfortable movement

Offline Eric_Tracy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 07:12:29 AM »
if you want to learn split foot take offs, there is a great tutorial in the Demon Drills Section.  And i've found that split foot tends to conserve more momentum both during and after the kong.
When you open your heart, you open your mind.  Once you've accomplished those a whole new world unfolds before you.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 01:04:18 PM »
I have a terrible habit of not tucking my feet in together on the split-foot take off.  I slam my shin or toe on the leading leg into whatever I'm trying to vault.  It is a good reminder of my terrible form.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Two footed take offs are better for higher obstacles, and split foot take offs are better for long obstacles. Just words of wisdom.
My Youtube Channel
check it out!