Author Topic: Livewire's beastly handstand skills?  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Pinoyako11793

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Livewire's beastly handstand skills?
« on: December 18, 2010, 03:40:39 AM »
Well all I know is that he's a bboy so that helps a lot with handstands, but does anyone know his routine or any acrobat's beginner to intermediate to advanced to godly?

I'm about to start gymnastics to learn how to do rings, parallel/high bar and finally pommel horse. Right now I just do basic body weight exercises like pull ups and chin ups. Handstands against the wall. The bridge. And static pike holds and kicks and pike pushups as well. Thanks for your input.

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Livewire's beastly handstand skills?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 09:11:37 AM »
Here ya go.

EDIT: I forgot to say to scroll down to the exercise part.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:31:38 PM by klaymen »

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 09:13:56 AM »
I can't say about his workout routine...

But, if you watch his videos you'll notice he just loves doing them. He does them constantly. My guess is that his "bboy" background in combination with the frequency that he does handstands has a lot to do with his proficiency.

In other words: practice, practice, practice

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:00:38 AM »
Breakdancing.
PK4LIFE!

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 11:08:25 AM »
I remember something about him injuring his legs so he spent the time working on his hands. Someone would have to confirm that though.

So break your legs? :P

In all seriousness, you can take a peak at gynmasticbodies as klaymen suggested: http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8:building-an-olympic-body&catid=2:articles&Itemid=3. Beast Skills also has some good tutorials for strength stuff like that: http://beastskills.com/
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Luke MC

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Etre fort pour etre utile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 02:31:12 PM »
I remember something about him injuring his legs so he spent the time working on his hands. Someone would have to confirm that though.

Confirming. This is correct. He refers to in the descriptions of some of his older videos. For example: "Just some conditioning i did in one day (mostly at 3am). Its all upper body because my knees are screwed at the moment."http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo9fV-XlTHM

Offline Pinoyako11793

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
I've seen that video before on his workout. The problem is that obviously you need progress towards being able to do that. No one starts out being able to do muscle ups, tucked planche to handstand presses, handstand pressups, or baby freeze to handstand...

Offline Luke MC

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Etre fort pour etre utile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 03:38:10 PM »
I may be wrong here, but I think he acquired his injury quite some time before that video was put out. Therefore he had a lot of time on his hands (excellent pun) to dedicate to upper body strength. Of course, the base of he strength came from break dancing and whatever torture they put him through.

Offline Greeeg the squiiirrel

• Mangabey
  • Wicked good, bub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »
He got impacted knees and couldn't walk. He had to use handstands to get around his house and to do his everyday activities. I think he had to do that for 6/8 months or something. Not too sure about the time. Fun stuff. He is beast now though, so it is okay.
Heck with drugs and alcohol. I get high off exercise. Feel those endorphins pump.
We all come from the same place, all trying to get to point B.
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,26135.msg317244.html#msg317244

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 08:36:28 PM »
He got impacted knees and couldn't walk. He had to use handstands to get around his house and to do his everyday activities.

As much as I believe he trained hard to make up for a weakness, I do believe this is exaggerating. No one ever has to do handstands in order to do their every day activities, even if they have no legs, and I doubt this is WHY he learned handstands - as they wouldn't really help. What does he use to actually perform his every day activities? His ass cheeks?

Sorry. Just thought it was funny. Not trying to say that he isn't amazing. Simply saying that his injuries are a likely - and huge - motivator to learn handstands, but certainly was not out of necessity.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:40:29 PM by Kyle L Larson »

Offline Pinoyako11793

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 11:04:56 PM »
Which is easier to achieve in a 10 month period, a one arm handstand or full planche pushups? Let's throw in 90 degree pushups as well.

Offline Greeeg the squiiirrel

• Mangabey
  • Wicked good, bub
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 12:06:18 AM »
As much as I believe he trained hard to make up for a weakness, I do believe this is exaggerating. No one ever has to do handstands in order to do their every day activities, even if they have no legs, and I doubt this is WHY he learned handstands - as they wouldn't really help. What does he use to actually perform his every day activities? His ass cheeks?

Sorry. Just thought it was funny. Not trying to say that he isn't amazing. Simply saying that his injuries are a likely - and huge - motivator to learn handstands, but certainly was not out of necessity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbks_QirHN0
Don't be too quick to doubt. In his own words:
 "Well my knees are completely packed in so I've given up and began living life just on my arms and hands, its less painful :'(

Heres a insight into what I do in a normal day, and how I do it!"

I'm sure the video is a bit of an exaggeration, but it gets the point across.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 12:12:07 AM by Greeeg the squiiirrel »
Heck with drugs and alcohol. I get high off exercise. Feel those endorphins pump.
We all come from the same place, all trying to get to point B.
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,26135.msg317244.html#msg317244

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 12:23:57 AM »
Which is easier to achieve in a 10 month period, a one arm handstand or full planche pushups? Let's throw in 90 degree pushups as well.

It's extremely unlikely for most people to be able to accomplish those in 10 months unless they've already been training them and made significant progress towards those goals.

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 04:33:35 AM »

I'm sure the video is a bit of an exaggeration, but it gets the point across.

Yea, you have to keep in mind that my comment was just as much for you as for him. He was being dramatic.

Still awesome, though.

Offline Pinoyako11793

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 01:04:23 AM »
Is someone willing to to post their specific workout and diet?

Or am I just going to get links, or lmgtfy's?

I have paralettes and rings.

There's just so many resources out there.

I just want to know the number of sets and reps and rest time in between.

Let's see, I know there are l-sits and planche progressions I need to get through-frog, tucked, advanced tuck, straddle, full planche?

I also need hip exercises?

My knowledge on that is kind of sketchy.

And also abs/core workout?

I want to avoid going to a gym for free weights as much as possible, but if doing bodyweight exercises isn't enough to accelerate the process, then I'll definitely reconsider.

Oh and pushups. I know Steve has mentioned multiple times that pushups won't get you anywhere besides endurance, but I think pseudo planche pushups where you place your hands at your waist will help develop muscle for the planche.

Is press to handstand or l-sit to handstand much more difficult?

Ha I think I should rephrase the question "which is easier, planche pushups, one arm handstand, or 90 degree pushups" to which is more difficult. It's kind of like the half full, half empty mentality.

I think I'll look more into the handstand manual (which I strain to read due to its font), drills and skills, beast skills, breakdancing ninja, dragondoor, gymnastic bodies, and my planche training blog, as well, and maybe I can come up with a workout.

Some stretching exercises would be great as well.

I know I could search the forums for endless hours, but I want to avoid that please, or do I sound ignorant?

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 09:15:09 PM »
Really, you're just making it more complicated than it needs to be. Everything you need to know to progress in those specific exercises are answered in the sticky in General Fitness. And please, don't over-complicate it.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 10:38:05 PM »
Is someone willing to to post their specific workout and diet?

Or am I just going to get links, or lmgtfy's?

I have paralettes and rings.

There's just so many resources out there.

I just want to know the number of sets and reps and rest time in between.

Let's see, I know there are l-sits and planche progressions I need to get through-frog, tucked, advanced tuck, straddle, full planche?

I also need hip exercises?

My knowledge on that is kind of sketchy.

And also abs/core workout?

I want to avoid going to a gym for free weights as much as possible, but if doing bodyweight exercises isn't enough to accelerate the process, then I'll definitely reconsider.

Oh and pushups. I know Steve has mentioned multiple times that pushups won't get you anywhere besides endurance, but I think pseudo planche pushups where you place your hands at your waist will help develop muscle for the planche.

Is press to handstand or l-sit to handstand much more difficult?

Ha I think I should rephrase the question "which is easier, planche pushups, one arm handstand, or 90 degree pushups" to which is more difficult. It's kind of like the half full, half empty mentality.

I think I'll look more into the handstand manual (which I strain to read due to its font), drills and skills, beast skills, breakdancing ninja, dragondoor, gymnastic bodies, and my planche training blog, as well, and maybe I can come up with a workout.

Some stretching exercises would be great as well.

I know I could search the forums for endless hours, but I want to avoid that please, or do I sound ignorant?

Or you could just do a lot of handstands.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 10:39:48 PM »
There are two redundant threads in which the OP is posting the exact same thing.

Pinoyako: In the future, please avoid posting redundant topics.