Author Topic: Hey just to talk!  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Daniel Dunphy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Hey just to talk!
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:44:52 AM »
I just made this thread to share parkour experiences! ;D

Don't sit and complain that you cant do a trick...
Go try it over and over and over again!

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
Re: Hey just to talk!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »
This one time I was doing Parkour, I jumped over something, and I enjoyed it.

Offline Nazar h

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:45:01 PM »
last saturday i was practicing this one precision over and over for about 4 hours, never hit it   :(, but it was a good workout so i was sore till friday and now im pumped up to hit it tomorrow   :D

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »
This one time at band camp...I accidentally a goat and lost the game.  :-Sarcasm

Nahh, I lovee sharing parkour experiences. Hahaha, this one time I was precisioning the most easiest rails to precision on, lost focus for one second, landed on the rail with my shin and all my body weight was put on it. Fell off the rail, landed on my butt, and swallowed a bug while screaming #@$%!!!!!
Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »
I was walking on a rail once, and I lost balance and fell on it. I bent the pole and made it at lease another foot and a half closer to the ground LOL.
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 02:08:53 AM »
Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but here it goes:

I used to train seriously in my last couple years of high school and a year or so after that. I trained every chance I could get. I would do some sort of exercise just about every day, even if it was just doing pushups/situps/plaches/QM up and down stairs in my house. I would also try to get out to train vaults/precisions at least 3 times a week. In my free time, if I wasn't training, I was probably online trying to learn more about the history/philosophy of the art as well as watching videos and learning about new techniques/exercises. I used to be an active member of the APK and Parkour.NET forums (I think I got banned from U$F at some point for questioning their bullshit), I couldn't get enough information (I've always been this way for things I care about). Eventually I ended up moving into a couple party apartments and drinking/smoking a lot. That combined with the the whole scene changing (people talking about things like going pro, finding ways to make money from Parkour through sponsors, charging people for help with training, etc.) made me stray from the community Parkour as a whole. I also got really cynical about the future of Parkour and did not want to be associated with all of the shit that I was sure would come. I still went out and practiced a little every once in a while, but it was a rarity.

Several months ago I quit smoking weed so I could join the military. Since then, not only have I started training a lot more often, I also discovered that the local college has a Parkour club (PKVCU) and met some really great people through that. I am a little disappointed to see how many other people I used to talk to on the forums have stopped training as well, but hopefully I can convince them otherwise, and it seems like there is still a plethora of talented and intelligent individuals to be found here. Also, I never used to like the idea of clubs or teams, as I felt people would care more about showing off for their friends or being the most famous "team" than they would about the true spirit of Parkour. Suffice it to say, my mind has been changed. The PKVCU team has been very beneficial in raising my spirits in relation to the future of Parkour. I am looking forward to getting back on the level I used to be at (end even surpassing it).

I wish there was a point to all of this, but I can't really see one. If anything I guess it would be that it's never to late, though that seems a little cliche. Anyways, there's my story.

Offline Daniel Dunphy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 08:08:28 AM »
I just made this thread to hear everyones experiences with parkour and I guess it is working out lol...

I have a story to....

I started "freerunning" in elementary school, I had no clue what parkour was.  But to my understanding I thought that freerunning was sliding on ice and stuff like that. (this was in grade 4) when grade 5 rolled around my buddy and I started doing like front flips and backflips off of snow hills all the little kindergardeners and the grade 1 and 2 kids were like amazed. Later when I started grade six I used to climb up to the roof of the school (I got in trouble a lot) and anyway I was still under the impression that I made all these things up!
Untill finally in grade 7 I was on youtube during class looking at people doing backflips and I stumbled across a video called Free Running (david belle) and after that I was inspired. I am now in grade 8 my buddy and I still do parkour at school and we have even gotten my Phys Ed teacher to let us have the gymnasium on Friday now my whole school watches us do parkour in the gym (our school has gymnastics equipment) and I do my parkour every day!

Offline Daniel Dunphy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 08:10:14 AM »
I was walking on a rail once, and I lost balance and fell on it. I bent the pole and made it at lease another foot and a half closer to the ground LOL.
HAHA

Offline James Cavin

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 09:10:38 AM »

Oh my Jesus. I really hope you were wearing a cup.  :-X

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 01:25:41 PM »
Oh my Jesus. I really hope you were wearing a cup.  :-X

It was wet outside, so when my foot slipped off I luckily fell on my side. It hurt really bad, but I couldn't help but to laugh :) The first thing I said was, "dang it! why didn't I get that on camera". XD
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline J. Gabriel Alvarez Manilla

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »
One of the first things I figured out how to do at my highschool was how to get on the one-story roof, for which you had to go through some AC units in a little niche hidden from view by a wooden fence that left spaces in between it and the walls it touched, so it was easy to slip through the spaces. I started doing parkour in the second semester of that year, and would walls and the AC's for wallrun and tictac practice, since it was a tight, unfrequented space with the AC coolers close to the walls. Others found out it was a quiet spot to eat lunch in during the second half of the next year. They brought chairs in, it became a dump, the school found out, completely fenced it off, and made a new rule that no-one was to go there. For me, the fence just made it my private training spot. It was as easy as popping over the fence and practicing until my ride came for me.
The Great Way is universal,
it can apply to the left or the right.
All beings depend on it for life,
and it does not refuse.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 06:16:02 PM »
This one time I was doing Parkour, I jumped over something, and I enjoyed it.
I actually just lol'd
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.