Author Topic: Provo Parkour  (Read 4545 times)

Offline SCUDI

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Provo Parkour
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:59:13 PM »
I live in Provo and Im just getting into Parkour, looking for any available opportunities to begin my fun...

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Smite me, Oh Mighty Smiter!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Provo Parkour
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:59:58 PM »
Can you get up to pc or salt lake at all?
I just moved here, and the only places i know are on campus at the U so far...
If you know more places im definitly down to come to you, or meet up somewhere.
ProParkour--ANTI-ADVERB!!!!!

If you don't like their rules, Refuse to play their game.
Anarchy is not CHAOS, but order without CONTROL.
Frederick, MD PK

Offline Swa

• Patas
  • Life's short, make fun of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 06:54:45 PM »
check the parkour workshop every week thread.  Some people that do that live in Provo.  I live in Pleasant grove, so thats a bit of a distance, sorry

have a nice day

Offline TJPK

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 05:10:19 PM »
YO! i live here in provo and go jam around town with a bunch of guys every wednesday and saturday. feel free to join us!

Offline Kimberly Heuer

• Patas
  • "Action Conquers Fear." -PNZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 06:34:07 AM »
Howdy!
I go to BYU and I really want to get into Parkour. But as a girl who knows absolutely nothing I don't really want to slow anyone down. But I am wondering where some good places in Provo are to teach myself some basics?
Passivity is a lie, there is only movement.
Through movement, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain expression.
Through expression, my chains are broken.
Movement shall free me.

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
Insanity, You reall should check out the workshops at arete gymnastics. I've been a few times since i last posted here. Its a great group, A lot of Y students go there. There are people of all ability levels  and its a safe environment to learn the basics.

Frederick, MD PK

Offline Kimberly Heuer

• Patas
  • "Action Conquers Fear." -PNZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
Insanity, You reall should check out the workshops at arete gymnastics. I've been a few times since i last posted here. Its a great group, A lot of Y students go there. There are people of all ability levels  and its a safe environment to learn the basics.

Thanks, I'll check it out!
But besides that, because I'm sure they don't have workshops on a daily basis, where are some good place to just go and work on stuff?
Passivity is a lie, there is only movement.
Through movement, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain expression.
Through expression, my chains are broken.
Movement shall free me.

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 01:28:28 AM »
The only place i've been in provo is kiwanis park down near 7peaks. its a good spot, theres all the park equipment and aso a school right there.

Frederick, MD PK

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 11:19:54 PM »
Hey Insanity. The best place to start would be anywhere. Literally. But because it has a lot of small easy to do things grouped to do together is a playground. Just start moving all over it, vaulting and rolling as much as possible. Remember if it hurts your not doing it right.

Also the arete class (cost is $5 for directions call me at 801-228-0771), that will be available on February 12th. Due to scheduling conflicts we won't have it for a while before that. We're working on building an outdoor parkour park there. Been looking for anything we can to build it. Because I'm actually getting off my lazy butt and getting stuff done, we should have it soon. (Ideas uber appreciated ryan@jumputah.com)

I do teach a free class on wednesdays at the american fork amphitheater (next to the LDS Timpanogos Temple) from 4:30pm-6:30pm and on fridays at the draper amphitheater against the mountain 4:15pm-6:00pm. We cover basics and go over a lot of safety with newcomers, we actually have multiple teachers so you won't be slowing anyone down.

I'm looking into holding a couple of big jams soon, probably one in provo. If you guys are willing to, I can hold a beginner specific jam and work with teachers on a warm up, class, session and open jam.. or whatever works.

I know I'm having a party at my place on the 15th, starting at 5:00pm for the Jump City premier, but I live up in Draper off of 123rd so its kinda farther away, but if you want to....  Looking to have some parkour obstacle course gear set up in my yard though. So you can train with us before the show begins. Win!

Just fyi. Watching videos online, specific those that aren't flashy, but have good clean strong form, can be very helpful on ideas where to train, how to train, etc...

Also doing conditioning as much is possible is good. Building your body so it can take punishment will help it to.... well take punishment. So pushups, sit ups, etc...

Hope that helped, for more specific ideas, shoot me an email and I'll send you videos and work out exercises you can practice on your own.

ELete. Did you submit a profile to me? if you have I'm going to need one profile pic (just kind of a chest up one of you) Two of parkour, and two videos of parkour/freerunning, etc... plus the more of a bio I get the better the profile will look. Email me or give me a ring with the info above.
10 push ups.