Author Topic: Too much iron?  (Read 2771 times)

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
Too much iron?
« on: November 27, 2006, 08:45:10 PM »
Hmmm.... this sort of makes sense to me. Although i have no health expirence at all (which is why im posteing it here, to get you all's opinions on it)

"The primary reason why very young children need to take naps is to catch upon on red blood cell production. During growth spurts, young children may experience difficulty with mental tasks due to a shortage of iron, a fact that is often misdiagnosed as attention deficit disorder. A pale, easily fatigued child with cold hands and feet should be fed iron-rich foods, like red meat (iron pills are problematic and induce nausea)."

Hmmm....

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Too much iron?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 06:51:41 AM »
Who is that a quote from? I'm very skeptical. It seems like there are LOTS of reasons young children need to take naps, mental as well as physical.
less talk; less prep; less think; more do

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 04:34:52 PM »
DOH! i forgot the link. and now i cant find it anywhere... damn i feel like a idiot, lol

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 06:30:08 AM »
Actually Rickety he is pretty much right, at least from what I've heard.  Although the pale skin thing will probably only come after being Anemic which isn't all that uncommon.

This is taken from: http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/medical/heart/anemia.html

Signs and Symptoms of Anemia

If your child has anemia, the first symptoms might be mild skin paleness, and decreased pinkness of the lips and nailbeds. These changes happen gradually, though, so they may be difficult to notice. Other common signs of anemia include:

* irritability
    * fatigue
    * dizziness, lightheadedness, and a rapid heartbeat

Depending on what's causing the anemia, symptoms may also include jaundice (yellow-tinged skin), a yellowing of the whites of the eyes, an enlarged spleen, and dark tea-colored urine. In infants and preschool children, iron deficiency anemia can result in developmental delays and behavioral disturbances, such as decreased motor activity and problems with social interaction and attention to tasks. Recent research indicates that developmental problems may persist into and beyond school age if the iron deficiency is not properly treated.

Offline HP

• Patas
  • We all have hidden potential.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 02:01:52 PM »
If I eat to much iron, I poop an I-beam...

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 04:15:47 PM »
Anemia is a pretty big problem worldwide, particularly in women, but it strikes at men, too.  Basically, it can cause all sorts of problems, most of which is extreme fatigue and depression.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia