Author Topic: Non-Philosopher  (Read 30281 times)

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Non-Philosopher
« on: December 01, 2010, 11:10:16 PM »
Hey everyone. This is just a little heart to heart I'd like to have with you guys. I know a lot of you hold parkour close to your hearts not just as an activity, but along with the philosophies that pertain to the art, but that's not me. I got into movement because it looked like fun, and I was right. Honestly I'm tired of hearing that because you associate a lifestyle with the disicpline that you are somehow superior to those who don't.

In my opion the philosophies you associate with parkour are like religions. Everyone has some sort of belief, but no one belief is considered correct by all. I'm sick of being told the philosophy will come with maturity, and also of hearing that since I don't have a philosophy of my own that I'm a begginer or I am ignorant.

In my humble opinion Parkour was developed by some kids who had some spare time and wanted to have some fun. They ended up enjoying what they did and it spread from there. I know that my little synopsis is over simplified, but meh that's pretty much the jist of what I'm getting at. Not everything has to be about the mental and (I guess) spiritual side of things. I'm sure that there are people like me who do this solely for the fun, not because it's made them a better person, gotten them fame, or made them some money.

Offline daggerx222

• Patas
  • Parkour and freerunning for over 6 years.
    • View Profile
    • MY YOUTUBE
Re: Non-Philosopher
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 11:27:06 PM »
i do it because its stimulating.
I have never felt more alive than when overcoming my "challenges" with only my body and mind.
So many things i have looked at, thinking i have hit my limit. then i would come back to see i can pass that and keep going.
I do it because i feel so accomplished when i do a new movement, jump a new distance, learn a new technique.
I also have never found more fun than just having complete control over my own body.
"Jump from here, flip in this way, land there, on that leg, and so on"

Every new trick is like a new super power, and we can hone them and combine them together and strengthen them just by wanting to and taking the time to get better. Thats what's badass.
Love is a four letter word.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:00:29 AM »
You mean I can't declare my altruism at your expense?  :-Sarcasm

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:20:50 AM »
Watch this, if you haven't seen it already. And pay specific attention to what he says around 2:04.

The more you invest in any art form or sport, the more you will see it (or at least certain aspects of it) relate to other things in your life. I'm not saying that it is important to develop your own philosophy and reasoning for your movement (as he says earlier, the monkey would reply simply by saying 'why are you NOT moving?'), but I am saying that there are plenty of mental lessons to also be learned from this discipline. It is simply up to you whether you choose to open your mind up to them or not. The choice is yours, and nobody here has the right to judge you based on your personal ideas.

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:19:39 AM »
Since everyone is different, we all have different experiences. A lot of people see parkour as something fun to do and do not delve in the the "deeper" side of things. Other people see it as the complete opposite. Personally, I see it as a little of both, for there is always time for play and seriousness.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 05:28:50 AM »
Since everyone is different, we all have different experiences. A lot of people see parkour as something fun to do and do not delve in the the "deeper" side of things. Other people see it as the complete opposite. Personally, I see it as a little of both, for there is always time for play and seriousness.

Some people parkour when they dont think its fun but rather for philosophy? Ugh.

I was skeptical when everyone kept explaining about the  philosophy behind this art of movement. I thought I would somehow find it....but I never saw it. I greatly respect parkour, not like other adrenal-junkie activities. I see it more as a great way to stay in shape, be different, and have fun doing it. But due to my training I WOULD consider it a discipline, with constant challenges in the way and consistent training. but to each his own.

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Adam C

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I jump over stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 06:19:20 AM »
Hey everyone. This is just a little heart to heart I'd like to have with you guys. I know a lot of you hold parkour close to your hearts not just as an activity, but along with the philosophies that pertain to the art, but that's not me. I got into movement because it looked like fun, and I was right. Honestly I'm tired of hearing that because you associate a lifestyle with the disicpline that you are somehow superior to those who don't.

In my opion the philosophies you associate with parkour are like religions. Everyone has some sort of belief, but no one belief is considered correct by all. I'm sick of being told the philosophy will come with maturity, and also of hearing that since I don't have a philosophy of my own that I'm a begginer or I am ignorant.

In my humble opinion Parkour was developed by some kids who had some spare time and wanted to have some fun. They ended up enjoying what they did and it spread from there. I know that my little synopsis is over simplified, but meh that's pretty much the jist of what I'm getting at. Not everything has to be about the mental and (I guess) spiritual side of things. I'm sure that there are people like me who do this solely for the fun, not because it's made them a better person, gotten them fame, or made them some money.

Not to be rude, Cody, but why does this thread exist? People aren't going to change their view of parkour simply because you're irritated by something that shouldn't be a big deal. If it bugs you; ignore it.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 06:22:40 AM by Adam C »
"Hi! I'm Mark Toorock from American Parkour. Today, we're going to be showing you parkour."

I will crush my mental blocks into a fine powder, and then I will construct a fabulous Zen garden.

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 08:39:34 AM »

That's in interesting philosophy you've developed.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 09:10:07 AM »
Not to be rude, Cody, but why does this thread exist? People aren't going to change their view of parkour simply because you're irritated by something that shouldn't be a big deal. If it bugs you; ignore it.

I think he just wanted to get other's peoples opinions on the point that he has.

This is just a little heart to heart I'd like to have with you guys.

There's no need to get upset about a thread, if you don't like it, just ignore it! :)

Offline Adam C

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I jump over stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 09:26:21 AM »
I think he just wanted to get other's peoples opinions on the point that he has.

There's no need to get upset about a thread, if you don't like it, just ignore it! :)

LOL
 Nice, Jordan. XD
"Hi! I'm Mark Toorock from American Parkour. Today, we're going to be showing you parkour."

I will crush my mental blocks into a fine powder, and then I will construct a fabulous Zen garden.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 09:27:31 AM »
Hey if you want to get less out of your experiences thats your deal.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »

Andrew don't treat him that way. If thats what he wants, cool. We all should be able to do parkour for the reasons we want to do it, without feeling like we are less than others (or make others fell like they are less).

Cody, do it for the reasons you want to man. If you enjoy parkour for where your at in it, then thats awesome. Remember, we can't please everyone. Just because others say things about how they are getting more out of it than you doesn't mean you have to listen.
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »
That was a little uncalled for don't you think?  ;)

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »

Check yourself before you wreck yourself, son. I think this is exactly what he was talking about when he said:
Honestly I'm tired of hearing that because you associate a lifestyle with the disicpline that you are somehow superior to those who don't.

I wish I could like threads.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 02:22:12 PM »
Some people parkour when they dont think its fun but rather for philosophy? Ugh.

I meant that some people train very seriously as compared to people who have "more" fun. For example: Guys from PK Gen. train in nice and structured manners whereas others, like Dante Grazioli, train in a less organized manner. I'm not sure if this is making any sense, but I hope my point got across.

(The people used in the examples were just the first ones that came to mind. Hopefully no one gets offended from it.)
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 03:42:05 PM »
I understand everyones viewpoints and I respect them for having them. Travis I guess you're right in saying that my philosophy is fun. And I'm saying I'm "right" with Parkour being about fun, no one is truly "right". I created this thread to get the word out that I'm tired of hearing that my experiences are less than those with their "all knowing" minds. I'm by no means saying I take no lessons from Parkour, but I don't focus on lesson learning as a main focal point of my training.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 04:48:21 PM »
I meant that some people train very seriously as compared to people who have "more" fun. For example: Guys from PK Gen. train in nice and structured manners whereas others, like Dante Grazioli, train in a less organized manner. I'm not sure if this is making any sense, but I hope my point got across.

(The people used in the examples were just the first ones that came to mind. Hopefully no one gets offended from it.)

Actually, PKGen isn't always structured. Sure, they have some of the most intense and physically demanding training sessions when they want to (I know this because I've been through them), but at the same time, they can still play. They just choose not to call their 'playing' training. When they want to train, they push their bodies to the limit, physically and mentally, for about an hour or so, and then rest. Trust me, goofing off with the guys from UK were some of the funniest memories I have. They know how to have fun, but they also know that when they want to buckle down and be truly productive and hard working, they have some of the best methods of doing so.

Also, I acknowledge your last statement, and I wasn't taking offense to what you said, merely trying to clarify a point that I believe that you were making (that PKGen train seriously and Dante trains in a less serious way, exclusively).

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 05:17:22 PM »
I personally play the soccer season because my friends are on it. I enjoy being with those guys, feeling some sort of "place" when playing the game. I don't get any serious mental thought out of it, (other than how it's comparable to war. People need to relax and enjoy the game, not act like it's the end of the world. /rant) however I do from parkour.

"Your passion could be anything, it could be... music, art, it could be dance, it could be sport, it could be reading, it could be writing. But, when you have a passion, and its something that you really love, it drives you deep, and makes you think more, makes you think why you do what you do, and that's something that is very important to having a full life."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEOQ6b3waqo

Watch that and tell me what you think man. Best of luck with finding what you need.

matcauthon12

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 06:35:54 PM »
I choose not to fall.

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »
I don't think it was uncalled for at all. It is an honest statement. For many of us, parkour not only brings a physical aspect, but also a mental healing. It sure as hell has changed me for the better, physically and mentally.
I'm gonna take Hull's side on this one ;)
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.