Author Topic: Non-Philosopher  (Read 28278 times)

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Philosopher
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2010, 10:53:05 AM »
Some of the posts in here are getting a little vicious.  If your philosophy doesn't include respecting those who don't share it, maybe it's not so noble after all.
Oh snap.

How 'bout this... read all of the previous posts fully, write what you want to write, and then wait like 15 minutes before you post it. At lot of these responses are actually pretty similar.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 11:20:58 AM »
This thread was not asking for help and wasn't intended to change anyone's own philosophy. It was made to shed light on the fact that in almost every thread someone is attacked because they don't feel the same way you do. I really wish some of you would meet and train with me, maybe then you would stop calling me immature, unexperienced, and short sighted.

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
  • "Practice makes perfect"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2010, 11:27:24 AM »
Did you even read the replies??

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2010, 11:47:58 AM »
and me.   if your the kind of person that doesn't take mottos like “to be and to last” or “be strong to be useful to others” to heart, then your not the kind of person i like to associate myself with.  also i find people who are more interested in fun than anything else to be childish.
I didn't see an implication of superiority, just of variation. I think in this discussion that its the people who don't see a philosophy in parkour putting those who do in a position of superiority. People who practice the philosophy are for the most part being supportive of him doing his own thing.

With the exception of me of course.

Minus 10 points from Gryffindor for both of you. Maybe I have misinterpreted these comments, but are both of you insisting that you are looking down on someone for the why they choose to jump around on things???

EDIT- Really??
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2010, 12:44:08 PM »
Minus 10 points from Gryffindor for both of you. Maybe I have misinterpreted these comments, but are both of you insisting that you are looking down on someone for the why they choose to jump around on things???

EDIT- Really??

From what I understand, Chris's post was not referring to parkour at all.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »
because its part of my parkour philosophy, i practice to be able to move swiftly with courage and sensitivity. i train to be strong enough to help someone in need.

oh and life is VERY serious. its quite stupid to think otherwise. if you werent in a man made world you would be watching your back every second to protect what little life you have from 500 pound bears. just because you have the luxury of your species over running the world does not mean the struggle of life is not going on all around you.

First off. You need a parkour philosphy in order to help others? That was me long before I learned parkour. Parkour didn't need to teach me that. I would help others when I can, without parkour. If you need the PARKOUR philosphy in order to obtain this, then you're doing it wrong and are, again, taking parkour far too seriously.

And no, life isn't that serious. It's quite stupid to think it is. You talk about the wild like you know anything about it. I'm a soldier and even I think life is and should be about fun. Otherwise, you're wasting your time. Also, don't bullshit about having to look over your shoulder for 'bears'. That's a joke. Bears are one of the last things you need to worry about and if you knew anything about wilderness survival, you'd realize that - once you knew what you were doing - it can be quite fun. Even relaxing. I sure as hell know it is for me. Even more relaxing than my 'man made' environments, at times, especially with all of the drama we create.

There's very few people in the world that can honestly call their life a struggle. With an obvious exception to being shot at, my life is rarely, if ever, a struggle.

PS. In my post, I did acknowledge that there ARE things in life one must take seriously, only that the things we do take seriously - or too seriously - is ridiculous. Like how we've all been over-dramatizing the purpose of parkour.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:59:01 PM by Kyle L Larson »

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
  • "Practice makes perfect"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »
^^

lol, chill

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2010, 05:35:15 PM »
I know. I apologize.

Don't apologize, I liked what you said, and it needed to be said. Great addition to the thread if you ask me.

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2010, 05:40:40 PM »
There's very few people in the world that can honestly call their life a struggle. With an obvious exception to being shot at, my life is rarely, if ever, a struggle.
I sure as hell know it is for me. Even more relaxing than my 'man made' environments, at times, especially with all of the drama we create.

love this  :P

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2010, 05:56:48 PM »
First off. You need a parkour philosphy in order to help others? That was me long before I learned parkour. Parkour didn't need to teach me that. I would help others when I can, without parkour. If you need the PARKOUR philosphy in order to obtain this, then you're doing it wrong and are, again, taking parkour far too seriously.

And no, life isn't that serious. It's quite stupid to think it is. You talk about the wild like you know anything about it. I'm a soldier and even I think life is and should be about fun. Otherwise, you're wasting your time. Also, don't bullshit about having to look over your shoulder for 'bears'. That's a joke. Bears are one of the last things you need to worry about and if you knew anything about wilderness survival, you'd realize that - once you knew what you were doing - it can be quite fun. Even relaxing. I sure as hell know it is for me. Even more relaxing than my 'man made' environments, at times, especially with all of the drama we create.

PS. In my post, I did acknowledge that there ARE things in life one must take seriously, only that the things we do take seriously - or too seriously - is ridiculous. Like how we've all been over-dramatizing the purpose of parkour.

I agree with a lot of this. That being said, I don't think it's necessarily bad to feel enlightened or gain a sense of purpose through parkour - that is why I train, at least. I don't think taking parkour 'seriously' is a bad thing. If nobody took it seriously, I don't think we would be quite where we are today. However, I do think that some people might get their heads up in the clouds at times, and we definitely shouldn't look down on others just because they don't look at parkour the same way as you do - it's different for everyone, and just BECAUSE you gain a sense of purpose or you 'take it seriously' doesn't make you any better than someone who is a little more lighthearted about it or trains because they have fun (i feel silly typing that, because really, WHO doesn't have fun). if parkour doesn't give them that sense of purpose or enlightenment or whatever reason you train for, then that's okay too.

We just need to focus on our own reasons for training, and not hold our reasonings above others' heads and tell them that we're right.

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »

no, its a part of my philosophy. another reason to add to my motivation to train harder and longer.

and life is a struggle, you cant be thinking about what im saying. just the other week i saw a spider take refuge in the shittiest spot to hang out ever just to escape the pouring rain. obviously your life isnt a struggle, neither is mine but, life ITSELF is a struggle. murphy's law dude, whatever can go wrong will.

i wasnt talking about the "life" you live, or the "life" i live but all life on this planet. thats one thing ive noticed about people who dont think philosophically. they forget to look at the simple big picture sometimes.

oh and parkour has no purpose, just like you or me. its up to us to assign any purpose to it. i think you might misunderstand the words i use, its not some mystical kung fu movie style dramatics. just compared to what ive been doing with my life up until parkour, parkour is special. i decide to take it deeper because im a deep person. in case you havnt noticed parkour is the one thing man has "created" that isnt created by man. it was created by nature, by our bodies evolving to this form.

while everyone plays foot ball with man made rules and goals, parkour is nature at work. thus it is different, it is special and it has more meaning than some other things.

its not about parkour being a way to a better life, its about realizing through parkour you learn the lessons you need to live a better life.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Important Somebody

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2010, 06:47:59 PM »
This Non-Philosopher business is a non-issue. You have failed to acknowledged something of key importance -- Parkour is at its core a philosophy. If you are indeed doing Parkour, then you are acknowledging this philosophy. Whether you accept or reject the philosophy is of no import: it is not going away, and it is not changing. Furthermore, if you are calling what you do Parkour and are giving it a different philosophy, then what you are doing is not Parkour at all.

Offline Austin "iSHREDbanez"

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »
while everyone plays foot ball with man made rules and goals, parkour is nature at work. thus it is different, it is special and it has more meaning than some other things.

But we still need ways to tell of certain techniques.
Christian traceur and guitarist. Ibanez!

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2010, 07:39:08 PM »
no, its a part of my philosophy. another reason to add to my motivation to train harder and longer.

and life is a struggle, you cant be thinking about what im saying. just the other week i saw a spider take refuge in the shittiest spot to hang out ever just to escape the pouring rain. obviously your life isnt a struggle, neither is mine but, life ITSELF is a struggle. murphy's law dude, whatever can go wrong will.

i wasnt talking about the "life" you live, or the "life" i live but all life on this planet. thats one thing ive noticed about people who dont think philosophically. they forget to look at the simple big picture sometimes.

oh and parkour has no purpose, just like you or me. its up to us to assign any purpose to it. i think you might misunderstand the words i use, its not some mystical kung fu movie style dramatics. just compared to what ive been doing with my life up until parkour, parkour is special. i decide to take it deeper because im a deep person. in case you havnt noticed parkour is the one thing man has "created" that isnt created by man. it was created by nature, by our bodies evolving to this form.

its not about parkour being a way to a better life, its about realizing through parkour you learn the lessons you need to live a better life.

It's not the one thing, martial arts,  and other sports could say the same things.

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2010, 07:42:21 PM »
This Non-Philosopher business is a non-issue. You have failed to acknowledged something of key importance -- Parkour is at its core a philosophy. If you are indeed doing Parkour, then you are acknowledging this philosophy. Whether you accept or reject the philosophy is of no import: it is not going away, and it is not changing. Furthermore, if you are calling what you do Parkour and are giving it a different philosophy, then what you are doing is not Parkour at all.

Says who? Who said parkour is for this or that?

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2010, 08:15:53 PM »
Says who? Who said parkour is for this or that?

The founders say that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:18:20 PM by Andy Keller »
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2010, 08:42:26 PM »
The founders say that.

I never find that argument convincing.  In logic it's the "appeal to authority" fallacy.  Yes, they are clearly experts and they have a say and their opinions should be considered more carefully than the opinions of others because of their greater experience.  However, being awesome at the physical side of parkour doesn't mean you're awesome at logic, or philosophy, or writing, or critical thinking. 

Additionally, parkour belongs to all of us, and whether people want it to or not it will evolve and change.  Sometimes for the good, sometimes not.  As it changes, we have the right to re-evaluate things and look at it critically from a new perspective, perhaps not as personally biased as the perspective of the originators.

What I'm saying is I'd think your answer would be more relevant to me if it was "The founders said that, and myself and many of the others here still feel that way."

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
It's not the one thing, martial arts,  and other sports could say the same things.

not entirely what i was saying. martial arts are techniques designed to get a direct result, usually from another human being.

with parkour, there are no forms, no real techniques, just movement adapting to the obstacle and not yourself. martial arts were designed and thought of and put into place by man. parkour was here when we got here, there was no time taken to develop it, it was with us naturally. and all the sports you think of have a ball, or a man made instrument that is vital to the game.

there is nothing else that compares that comes to mind. i also consider climbing, running and the like to be part of parkour thus is parkour.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.