Author Topic: Non-Philosopher  (Read 28277 times)

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Philosopher
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 08:14:30 PM »
I don't think most people think themselves to be superior...

I think the practice of parkour, with some help from the community, creates a strong sense of fulfillment -> fulfillment is usually seen as a good thing and it seems as though many others lack this -> there is a desire to help others reach the same fulfillment that they've experienced (for those people who have) -> possible appearance of a sense of superiority.

Whether you follow that logic at all, I can assure anyone that any real instance of superiority was done with the best intentions.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline G. Will.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 09:28:29 PM »
I agree with Alec, but you also have to consider something else. If someone is truly passionate about something they're probably not going to warm up to someone who's in it for kicks. The sad brutal truth is that they may just plain not like you.

It really is likely though that you're picking up on a dissapointment that you don't get the what they do out of parkour. If they're blatantly acting superior I'd call them on it if I were you. I'd do it as politely as possible and in a question (easier/safer to make them explain themselves than to accuse them of something).

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 08:10:28 AM »
Hey everyone. This is just a little heart to heart I'd like to have with you guys. I know a lot of you hold parkour close to your hearts not just as an activity, but along with the philosophies that pertain to the art, but that's not me. I got into movement because it looked like fun, and I was right. Honestly I'm tired of hearing that because you associate a lifestyle with the disicpline that you are somehow superior to those who don't.

In my opion the philosophies you associate with parkour are like religions. Everyone has some sort of belief, but no one belief is considered correct by all. I'm sick of being told the philosophy will come with maturity, and also of hearing that since I don't have a philosophy of my own that I'm a begginer or I am ignorant.

In my humble opinion Parkour was developed by some kids who had some spare time and wanted to have some fun. They ended up enjoying what they did and it spread from there. I know that my little synopsis is over simplified, but meh that's pretty much the jist of what I'm getting at. Not everything has to be about the mental and (I guess) spiritual side of things. I'm sure that there are people like me who do this solely for the fun, not because it's made them a better person, gotten them fame, or made them some money.

it will come with time, i used to feel too macho or something to accept it.

you probably already have a philosophy about it all, hence why you continue to move. its not really about using my words to form your own thought, its about asking questions to yourself and honestly answering them. when you really think about questions like why you are doing this truthfully you may come up with other things than "fun".

if anyone acts superior to you because they use someone elses words as their own, they miss the point of it all. and dont act superior because you dont share these views.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 07:12:36 AM by max eisenberg »

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 12:05:33 PM »
I choose not to fall.

LOL! Ok, this guy wins, every time, forever.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Adam C

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I jump over stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 02:52:04 PM »
How did I not spot that?
"Hi! I'm Mark Toorock from American Parkour. Today, we're going to be showing you parkour."

I will crush my mental blocks into a fine powder, and then I will construct a fabulous Zen garden.

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 05:21:35 PM »
then just say you do freerunning and its no big deal.  parkour is a training discipline with a philosophy. if something doesn't fit your ideology then its just not for you. 
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline MThomasfreerun

• Mangabey
  • We all start with nothing.
    • View Profile
    • MThomasfreerun's Youtube Page
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 06:19:04 PM »
then just say you do freerunning and its no big deal.  parkour is a training discipline with a philosophy. if something doesn't fit your ideology then its just not for you. 

a) I think this is missing the point of the OP
b) I resent the implication that parkour is somehow superior to free running; even if you subscribe to the idea that they are different (which I don't) neither is superior or inferior.
"Obstacles - I go over, under, right through, around 'em" - Shed Light

www.pkout.com

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 07:10:07 PM »
a) I think this is missing the point of the OP
b) I resent the implication that parkour is somehow superior to free running; even if you subscribe to the idea that they are different (which I don't) neither is superior or inferior.
I didn't see an implication of superiority, just of variation. I think in this discussion that its the people who don't see a philosophy in parkour putting those who do in a position of superiority. People who practice the philosophy are for the most part being supportive of him doing his own thing.

With the exception of me of course.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 10:23:23 PM »
I didn't see an implication of superiority, just of variation. I think in this discussion that its the people who don't see a philosophy in parkour putting those who do in a position of superiority. People who practice the philosophy are for the most part being supportive of him doing his own thing.

With the exception of me of course.

Well we have that kinda intresting relationship where we're united by movement but seperated in thought.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 05:35:28 PM »
 and me.   if your the kind of person that doesn't take mottos like “to be and to last” or “be strong to be useful to others” to heart, then your not the kind of person i like to associate myself with.  also i find people who are more interested in fun than anything else to be childish.
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »
and me.   if your the kind of person that doesn't take mottos like “to be and to last” or “be strong to be useful to others” to heart, then your not the kind of person i like to associate myself with.  also i find people who are more interested in fun than anything else to be childish.

Easy. I know you most likely didn't intend for it to sound like that, but you're pretty much calling Cody out here. Just be careful as to not wander into the 'personal attack' zone...respectfully agree to disagree :)

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 10:15:36 PM »
and me.   if your the kind of person that doesn't take mottos like “to be and to last” or “be strong to be useful to others” to heart, then your not the kind of person i like to associate myself with.  also i find people who are more interested in fun than anything else to be childish.

I consider those who take life too seriously childish. Fair enough? Parkour is and will never be a world changing experience that will end world peace, restore the balance of nature, or do anything useful for that matter. The attempt to make yourself feel self-important by labeling your FUN activity as some sort of spiritual revelation is silly. Do I mind that you take it in a philosphical way? No. Do what you will. But not liking somebody, simply because they don't have the same deep feeling about some quotes about an activity that is FUN by nature and does nothing for the community? Pfft. Some of you guys need to get your priorities straight.

I have a lot of things in life that I must take seriously. Things that both mature and grow me. I don't need parkour to do that, even if it might in some small way. I do it for fun. If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it. Either would most of you. Even the one's who claim otherwise.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:17:47 PM by Kyle L Larson »

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 10:50:22 PM »
Did ANYTHING you just said make sense?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 06:04:20 AM by Andrew Hull »
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Smite me, Oh Mighty Smiter!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 12:15:47 AM »
"Shut the f#ck up and Run"
ProParkour--ANTI-ADVERB!!!!!

If you don't like their rules, Refuse to play their game.
Anarchy is not CHAOS, but order without CONTROL.
Frederick, MD PK

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 06:25:02 AM »
Did ANYTHING you just said make sense?

It made complete sense...

What he is basically saying is this: He considers those who take life seriously to be childish and believes that not liking someone because they think differently about a discipline you both train is not the way to go. He says most people would not do parkour if it was not fun, which I actually agree with. Would someone invest thousands of hours into something they do not find all that interesting?
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 06:51:07 AM »
I consider those who take life too seriously childish. Fair enough? Parkour is and will never be a world changing experience that will end world peace, restore the balance of nature, or do anything useful for that matter. The attempt to make yourself feel self-important by labeling your FUN activity as some sort of spiritual revelation is silly. Do I mind that you take it in a philosphical way? No. Do what you will. But not liking somebody, simply because they don't have the same deep feeling about some quotes about an activity that is FUN by nature and does nothing for the community? Pfft. Some of you guys need to get your priorities straight.

I have a lot of things in life that I must take seriously. Things that both mature and grow me. I don't need parkour to do that, even if it might in some small way. I do it for fun. If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it. Either would most of you. Even the one's who claim otherwise.

talk to kerbie in iceland about the parkour scene and its history. parkour carries quite a power with it, no matter where it is taken it can change the world.

why do all the people living by their subconscious think we conscious and sometimes deeper thinkers, are holding ourselves in a higher esteem?

you kids have it all wrong, we are not special, we REALIZE THAT. in fact we seek to improve OURSELVES every day. we get stronger to be more useful as a servant to the public when needed, just the other day i helped a struggling mother carry her baby stroller up a few flights of stairs.... why?

because its part of my parkour philosophy, i practice to be able to move swiftly with courage and sensitivity. i train to be strong enough to help someone in need.

oh and life is VERY serious. its quite stupid to think otherwise. if you werent in a man made world you would be watching your back every second to protect what little life you have from 500 pound bears. just because you have the luxury of your species over running the world does not mean the struggle of life is not going on all around you.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 06:53:55 AM by max eisenberg »

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 07:14:41 AM »

fair enough, but i never said i take anything too seriously.  i have plenty of fun while training parkour and in life in general, but it is not my primary goal. it is a byproduct of self improvement and usefulness.  also parkour is not spiritual for me. maybe you should learn the difference between philosophy and religion.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2010, 07:32:17 AM »
Some of the posts in here are getting a little vicious.  If your philosophy doesn't include respecting those who don't share it, maybe it's not so noble after all.

Offline BryanG

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2010, 08:17:08 AM »
There's a couple of points I want to share;

-It doesn't matter what is "childish". If a random person from the public was selected, and watched ANY of us train, he'd say we were being childish, because he can only see us jumping around. As long as you have a good reason behind what you do, whether that be enjoyment, self improvement, both, or something different, then you aren't "childish" at all, you're progressing down the path you have chosen.
-No two people practice parkour in the same way. For that reason, people who argue that training differently to them is wrong, is calling the rest of the community wrong. Sure, jumping 20 foot onto concrete a hundred times a day is probably not the right way to go about training physically, and will set you up for massive, massive problems later on, but if there's a more important reason you make those jumps, than IN THEORY you're training isn't wrong. I personally can't think of a good reason to do what I just said, though, it was just an extreme example :P
-What's wrong with "fun", anyway? Being absolutely serious about everything takes away what I'm here to achieve at least; happiness. I wouldn't have had the same good times over the three and a half years of training I've had if I didn't see the fun side of things. At the same time, however, I don't feel content if enjoyment is my only reward, so I do train a bit more seriously. "Fun" is fun, anyway; can't argue with that ;)

Overall, this thread won't get anywhere, because no-one will completely agree on why we should train. So instead of wasting time, thinking of come-backs for people who disagree with you, why not get out and train for whatever you want, whether that be "fun" or "self improvement"?

Just a couple of thoughts :)

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
  • "Practice makes perfect"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »
To the poster of the thread: I think you've gotten the wrong idea.  Nobody is saying that if you do parkour you have to join some kind of cult where you believe in all the things traceurs believe... No way! That would be kind of weird :P

All this about the "Parkour philosophy" and etc. Are just another way of saying what has existed for years: When you adopt a physical training regimen that involves discipline, (Like parkour or ANY martial art) it gives more to you than just technique or conditioning or whatever; it makes you grow as a person. You can learn things from your training: You become less agressive, because your energy is being used up in your training, so you don't have any excess in you. You become more goal-oriented, because that's how the training is. You become... Well, there are lots of other things but I don't want to mention them so you don't go tl;dr when you see a giant block of text :P

So, in short what I'm saying is:  It's not that you HAVE to adopt a religion-like set of morals and ideas, it's that there are a few common good things that you may or may not learn from your training :)

AND, let's not forget!  We All do it for fun!  :)