Author Topic: Graffiti  (Read 8387 times)

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Graffiti
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2011, 12:20:59 PM »
This is very true, sir.

So knock it off!

I really hope this isn't just another way of ignoring anything that I have said. If so, I am done trying. Maybe someday you will actually take a deeper look at the beliefs you hold.

EDIT: Edited for douche-ness.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:34:56 PM by klaymen »

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »
Was that really necessary? That one post just destroyed the respect you had been building in my eyes. While I don't agree with everything you've been saying, you were handling yourself in a calm and controlled manner, which I respected.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »
Was that really necessary? That one post just destroyed the respect you had been building in my eyes. While I don't agree with everything you've been saying, you were handling yourself in a calm and controlled manner, which I respected.

Everyone has a threshold. When I take people's point of view into consideration and really try to think of things from their perspective, and then they blow off everything that I say as inconsequential BS, I get a little bothered.

Post has been edited accordingly.

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
  • "Practice makes perfect"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 12:38:02 PM »
I didn't mean to send that message.

I just got tired of arguing is all.

Perhaps if we were speaking to each other I could've continued on, but I never learned to type the right way and my fingers were getting sore.

In the video about water bottles, and I say this in risk of you telling me I didn't watch it, I didn't see any problem pointed out. AND I saw a lot of figures pulled out of their hats...

Anyway, I think videos like that just use guilt to brainwash you. Guilt, and jealousy of the high class...

I don't particularly love rich people, but in videos like this it always seems like they hate them.

EDIT:  Anyway, I'm having company in a few hours, so I'd like to get some training in before I shower.

Keep your city clean, bros!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 12:43:10 PM by mickeynotmouse »

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2011, 12:44:46 PM »
Klaymen, I completely understand your frustration. I've been around the internet long enough, that I've had my share of experiences like that, I'm sure we all have. I hope I didn't come off as angry or aggressive with you.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2011, 12:49:52 PM »
In the video about water bottles, and I say this in risk of you telling me I didn't watch it, I didn't see any problem pointed out. AND I saw a lot of figures pulled out of their hats...

Anyway, I think videos like that just use guilt to brainwash you. Guilt, and jealousy of the high class...

I don't particularly love rich people, but in videos like this it always seems like they hate them.

You're right that there is a bit of an "neo-environmentalist" (read:anti-corporate) tinge to the video. That doesn't, however, discredit their message.

I'll make it easier for you. Bottled water uses massive amounts of energy, lowers air quality, and creates useless garbage. This is all done for a product that is completely unnecessary. A truly self-aware society would not let something like this happen, but we're not there yet.

The reason I said you didn't read that article is because I could tell you didn't. I still think you should, but hey, that's your choice.

Alas, this is getting very off topic. I'll just respond to the original topic in a similar way that you have been responding:

I don't see anything pointing out why graffiti is bad.

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »
I don't see anything pointing out why graffiti is bad.

-It makes the streets look dirty
-It's illegal
-not everyone likes what people draw. (See ryan's penis story)
-If what you say is true, it gets in the way of good, healthy business.

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2011, 01:00:31 PM »
I read through your post, but I still don't see any reasons why it's bad. The streets are already dirty.

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2011, 01:07:26 PM »
I read through your post, but I still don't see any reasons why it's bad. The streets are already dirty.

It's wrong. It's rebellious, it's dirty, it's immature, it's a waste of time, it's a bother to clean up, it makes a neighborhood look like it's full of criminals, it shows a lack of respect for other people's property, AND IT'S AGAINST THE LAW.

Offline A

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »
I highly doubt that Graffitti Artists are going to damage the image of Parkour in any significant way, It's just not going to happen. You can't control the people who use Parkour related techniques or the other Hobbies/Arts that they associate themselves with, theres nothing you can do about that. It's a generally harmless and non-violent crime in any case. The point is there are things far more important to focus your energy towards, and there is no reason to be heated or worried over something so trivial. I'm sure Parkour can somehow manage to survive this horrible ordeal  ::)
"Everything is about control
 I must never slip, nor ever fall
 Anything is possible for me
 I must never doubt, and finally be free.." -Mind.in.a.Box

Offline Dillon Johnson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »

It's wrong. It's rebellious, it's dirty, it's immature, it's a waste of time, it's a bother to clean up, it makes a neighborhood look like it's full of criminals, it shows a lack of respect for other people's property, AND IT'S AGAINST THE LAW.

Society should be aiming for rebellion, not trashing it. Rebellion is how we fight back against bland times, and bland places.

As klaymen said, the streets are already dirty. There's trash everywhere, and only a few groups are helping to clean it up.

As to the immaturity part, how is art immature? There's an old, abandoned KFC down the street from where I live, and it is becoming quite the graffiti hotspot. It makes an old, useless building look a bit nicer.

The criminal comment. Oy Vey... Art is not criminal, nor does it make people look criminal. Ghandi was sent to prison. By your reasoning, Andy Warhol should have been as well.

Respect: Almost a valid argument, but is graffiti (disregarding gang signs) really all that common on private property? Unless someone's been hired to do it, no.

The law: A valid argument, but if laws constrict our creativity, what do we have left?

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2011, 12:21:12 PM »

I was being purposely dismissive of everything you said in an attempt to show you how annoying it can be. I stand by what I said in our political discussion, and I still think you should read that article. The world is not as black and white as you seem to think it is. Companies do own lawmakers, and sometimes the best way to get a message out is through graffiti. As long as people are not messing with an active business, I don't see a problem with it.

Offline mickeynotmouse

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
I highly doubt that Graffitti Artists are going to damage the image of Parkour in any significant way, It's just not going to happen. You can't control the people who use Parkour related techniques or the other Hobbies/Arts that they associate themselves with, theres nothing you can do about that. It's a generally harmless and non-violent crime in any case. The point is there are things far more important to focus your energy towards, and there is no reason to be heated or worried over something so trivial. I'm sure Parkour can somehow manage to survive this horrible ordeal  ::)

Now THAT's an eye-opener.

I got all caught up in those direct personal attacks I forgot what I was talking about in the first place!

You're right, bro. You're right.